Moab this spring

Harry Johnson

I've ridden mountain bikes in Moab a few times, but never had the chance to take our crawler out there. It's been a bucket list item for a while. I've been looking for trips to bring my 80 year old mom along with the family. She loves to travel, especially to anywhere in the southwest US, so taking her along is a no-brainer.

So the plan is to head out March 30th, arrive in Moab just after easter jeep safari to avoid the crowds, and spend a week there. We're towing our jeep out with the "Grandma Hauler" Ford Expedition, and are looking to stop somewhere along the way between Monterey, Ca and Moab to break up the trip.

1707246122146.png

Planned route is I-5 to I-15 to I-70 unless someone can convince me we'd have more fun another way. We're staying in a hotel in downtown Moab. We'll have mountain bikes (kiddos too), and our Jeep (40s, 1 tons, winch, etc). Looking for trail suggestions for all of the above, as well as any cool road trips stops along the way.

Moab had been on my bucket list since the first 4 wheel magazines showed up in elementary school book fairs. I finally made it a few years back after convincing the wife to hit up all the Utah national parks and had a blast. We only did one mild trail as we were alone but the family wants to go back. Unless you're taking Grandma to Vegas you may want to stop in St George for the night and even ride Hurricane Cliffs were Redbull Rampage is hosted. Then take the 9 East out of Zion then up through Bryce and Escalante, or south-east through Fredonia and monument valley. Both of these routes have some epic desert scenery that inspired a lot of the Radiator Springs town from CARS.

No idea on Moab trails. I read a top ten list of trails on Irate4x4 a while back but the names were all Greek to me.

Back