Went to Moab and tried to do it all (Bikes, crawler, tow rig on dirt roads, etc)

Harry Johnson

PART 1

Kids were on spring break, my 80 year old mom was itching to travel somewhere, and the wife and I wanted to mountain bike and wheel, so we picked Moab for a week.

There's a ton of stuff to do in Moab, but we only had a week, so the wife and I settled on bringing our jeep and some mountain bikes. Loaded everything up by lunch time and then went back to work to finish off the day before leaving that night:
1712699943341.png

Rolled into Bakersfield that night and checked into a hotel for the night. Decided we should probably bring the fancy bikes into the room with us.
1712700059051.png
Put the minions to work:
1712700097008.png

The next day we were delighted to find no one had fawked with our jeep in the parking lot, so we headed out for St. George, UT. Got a little snow heading through Tehachapi, Ca.
1712700189326.png

Checked into St. George for the night. and then headed out for Moab the next day. I have to say, I'm really impressed with how my wife's fancy soccer mom-mobile tows. Some rest-stop on I-70
1712700259355.png

Because we were traveling with my 80 year old mom, we went fancy and stayed at the Gonzo Inn in Moab. Not a great spot to try and figure out where to put an additional trailer and jeep, but since this was the weekend after easter jeep safari, I was able to find some street parking for our trailer and stuff our jeep in their lot.
1712779477879.png

The next morning we were going to do some "recon", but ended up just running Hell's Revenge. Our 3 year old got to take the preschool class Mouse with him for this trip, so we had to document its adventures. Here he is at the first overlook on the trail.

1712779798637.png

oh yeah, the overlook views are pretty good in the other direction too:
1712780025678.png

Despite its scary name, Hell's Revenge was actually pretty chill once you wrap your head around the insane traction the slickrock provides. (side note- I found out why it's called "Slick Rock" and not "Amazing Traction Rock": It was named back in the 1800's when people only had horses and wagons for transportation. Turns out this type of rock is really slippery if you're a horse.)

1712780146613.png

If you stop and get out, the views out on the this trail are pretty legit

1712781665199.png

Now we don't have a ton of pictures of "gnarly obstacles" because my wife hadn't been wheeling in a while, and every time she does, it makes her skittish of flopping/rolling. Every time we got to something scary, she would claim she had to get out and film it. To help her out with that, I convinced her to stay in the jeep every time we ran something difficult. Less pictures, but I think maybe she's coming back around to scary angles in vehicles. She did manage to hop out on the descent down to Hell's Gate, but I made her get in for the climb back out.

Fun little ledge later on in the trail that the Minister of Safety felt she should "film"

Hell's Gate wasn't very dramatic as long as you stayed on the correct line. I would imagine that The Escalator also wouldn't be that dramatic for the same reasons, but the correct line isn't that apparent. We were running solo, but saw some dudes walking up it scoping the way, so I figured I'd go for it and ask them if I was doing it right. About half way up with the driver's side front tire in the air, they both told me "no." Turns out about half way you need to cut from riding one side of the wall all the way over to riding the other side. After some creative backing and turning and a few white knuckles from the Minister of Safety, we were able to climb up. Unfortunately the Minister of Safety didn't feel like taking any videos due to only 75% of the jeep's wheels being on the ground at a given moment, so you'll have to settle for this pic of us parked at the top, which sadly looks a lot like the rest of Hell's Revenge. The backseat minions were unphased.

1712781096486.png

At this point we had to haul butt back to Grandma for lunch and the Minister of Safety was thirsty for something that would increase her serotonin levels and possible fix her Escalator PTSD, so we attempted to haul butt back out. ....unfortunately, there are a lot of other rigs on the trail.

Other vehicles passed and butt hauled back to town, we found "The Best Margaritas in Town" and drank them.... oh yeah, some people with horses had the same idear

1712782289912.png

1712781992988.png

After that my kids never stop moving, so it was off to the pool. The Gonzo in has a pretty nice pool setup.
1712782408546.png

And once we had swam off the morning's trail dust, it was time to get in some quick moab bike park laps before dinner. They have a pretty legit expert jump line and also some good stuff for the smaller kids:
1712782547287.png

Part 2 continued below

Last edited:
PART 2

The next day we went Grandmalanding. My mom is 80 now, but she used to be right in the thick of wheeling, mountain biking, hiking, etc. so I knew she was going to want to get out and see the countryside despite being old and having some knee issues preventing her from going on big hikes or climbing into anything higher than a stock SUV equipped with a step. So we busted out the grandmalander... er I mean the tow rig, and headed out to see the sights. First stop were some roadside petroglyphs on Potash road just outside of Moab.
1712783051566.png

If you look real close at the first dark area just above that little blue SUV there, you'll see some stuff.
Enhance.

1712783218688.png

Enhance.
1712783192517.png

Of course we also had to bring along the preschool class mouse.

1712783093862.png

A little farther down Potash Rd. are some dinosaur tracks preserved in a rock. This was in the same parking lot as the Poison Spider Mesa Trail, but the Minister of Straight Sheet Metal overruled my attempt to do some fairly extreme grandmalanding.
1712783502849.png

Continuing on down the Tour De Potash and while everyone was ooh-ing and aah-ing over an arch, onX and I were hatching a plan to get some dirt miles in back to town. Turns out there's a road that runs from Potash rd. up to road 313(which runs back toward Moab.)
1712783911990.png

It was tame enough for some grandmalanding, and the views were alright too..

1712783838611.png

1712783959537.png

View back down the canyon we just came up:
1712783989495.png

On our way back I convinced my now seasoned grandmalanding(and even a small bit of pregrandma-ing) veterans, that we should find more dirt roads back into town. This lead us to taking the grandmalander down Gemini Bridges trail. In one maybe mile long section, this was a bit gnarlier than I had anticipated, but I managed to only drag frame once and otherwise keep the grandmalander in once piece.

1712784738501.png

Bonus, we got to drive past Gooney Bird Rock and drive over the Gooney Bird's toes for good luck.

PART 3 continued below

PART 3
Bikes!

1712785794577.png

If you like mountain bikes, Moab is one of those places that gets painted as a bucket list destination. As such, we had to bring our bikes and let our kids get a taste of those unique Moab trails. Luckily for us, there's a new trail system built that is shuttle-able via Sand Flats Rd. right out of town that is fun enough for expert level adults, but not too gnarly for our 3 year old. The only downside was how to shuttle? Hunting around and we were looking at 1 trip up the hill to cost about $160 for all of us.. OOOOR, we've got a grandmalander with a bike rack, a jeep that we can at least stuff adults in, and all dang day to move vehicles around. After coming up with an elaborate shell game of move-the-car, we ended up getting about 6 runs in for just the cost of gas. There are better ways to do this using one car with normal sized adults, but this was the only way to make it happen with man to man defense and a 3 year old.

1712785996728.png

We rode Eagle Eye, Hawk's Glide, and Kestral something or other near the bottom.

1712785904356.png

1712785966682.png

1712786035959.png

The next day it was slick rock time. Those of you who have ridden it know it's fun, but has tons of steep ups and downs, some would argue that's what makes the trail exciting. That's all well and good if you're a full size adult, but there's no way I'm hooking a tow rope up to my 3 year old for every single short climb. Luckily I had a plan! We brought both of our kid's stacycs, and as many batteries as possible JUST for this day. Most of Moab is no ebikes, however Slickrock is a run what you brung trail. You'll see regular bikes, ebikes, dirt bikes, and now, here's some stacyc action

1712786824320.png

1712787227678.png

That evening, we did a little more grandmalanding out to Arches national park for the sunset... it was OK I guess

1712787611065.png

1712787502997.png

1712787571871.png

PART 4 Continued Below at some point

Thanks for helping me plan my next trip to Moab. Been there a few times but looking to explore the area more. If you go there when it is warmer check out power road and the water falls.

PART 4
Headed Home

Fun is over, time to head back to the real world... well, almost. My sister-in-law was down in St. George with her kids, and the drive is long sooo.... Figured we might as well stay an extra night there, do fun stuff and let the cousins all play. We rolled in in the afternoon while everyone was still out in Zion national park. Our kids are huge fans of Matt's Off-road Recovery on youtube, so it was pretty much a no brainer to make a pilgrimage over to their shop.
1713895371071.png

Damn they saw us coming- we ended up buying ALL the merch:
1713895412462.png1713895476583.png

1713895502907.png

At that point the cousins STILL were not back... we could have hit the hotel, but also Sand Hollow was about a 5 minute drive away, we had a jeep on a trailer, and Grandma offered to relax and read a book while we took the kids for a rip.

1713895931078.png

It turns out The Minister of Safety had an issue with some of my chosen lines (The Minister of Cusswords has issued a warning on the following videos)...

After we put our toys away and met with the cousins for dinner, we called it a day. We were supposed to get up and drive west right away buuuuuut..... first we all had to explore the St. George Narrows in Pioneer Park:
1713896760864.png'

They've got a slot canyon there that is super close to the parking lot. That of course, also means tons of people. My 6 year old didn't seem to mind:

They also had some wind caves for the kids to play in
1713897040538.png

That was cool and all... but the boys and I dorked out hard when we realized this was PRIME RC Crawler territory. Seriously. It's like a mini sand hollow out there and some people were running it:

1713897114762.png

1713897134710.png

After that it was time to hit the road
1713897202775.png

Added bonus of playing in the park in St. George is it knocked the kids out for the long-ass drive through the desert to Tehachapi
1713897281574.png

We checked into a hotel there (waaaay better than Bakersfield), put the kids to bed, and the Minister of Dinner and I headed out to my favorite after KOH stop- TK Pizza

1713897530835.png

Not a bad finish to the trip.

Last edited:
Back