Local Legend "jolene" 1993 ford ranger

updates! finally!
got my shocks back from dialed and holy shit they look incredible! we have a little more work to do on the tuning side.. the upper spring of the front shocks doesnt compress as much as we thought it would after adding the bump zone and moving the cop collar so far down, so ill need to swap those out for a shorter length to get my normal ride height back and some slight valving adjustments in the front also. the rear is insane, like its not even there

the truck handles so much different. before it felt like a water bed. never really harsh but would get upset in the bigger sharper holes. we increased spring rates in the rear and theat helped the truck take a hit and return to ride height much more quickly. its 'less lazy" as kevin says
the added bump zone in the front i think made the most difference. im much more confident in the front driving into big holes now.. its insane how much you can feel that area of stiffer wheel travel. much different feeling than when i hit the hydraulic bumps.

heres some pics of when they were first finished
IMG_6725.jpgIMG_5702.jpgIMG_6724.jpg
IMG_6738.jpgIMG_6734.jpg
69404722636__16ED83CA-CE6F-4148-AD0A-E37ACF6FBC09.jpgIMG_6754.jpg

I don't have 10" 150#, but I do have 8" 250# if it'll work?
i think that might be too long and heavy. i need 6" so the collapsed length is smaller and i need the spring to be light enough to collapse all the way so i can set my ride height with my secondary nuts on the shock body

i think that might be too long and heavy. i need 6" so the collapsed length is smaller and i need the spring to be light enough to collapse all the way so i can set my ride height with my secondary nuts on the shock body

I misread the post. I overlooked the part where you needed 6". Thought you needed the 10s, but now I see you already have them haha

rad to hear you are making improvements and they are major differences. I am so interested in everything kevin does as he really seems to do a great job. I wish i knew only half of what he knows about shocks.

rad to hear you are making improvements and they are major differences. I am so interested in everything kevin does as he really seems to do a great job. I wish i knew only half of what he knows about shocks.
yeah hes really good at what he does. ive been telling him to quit his day job and hit this shock stuff harder because i truly believe he can be amongst the biggest names in the industry. its been incredible seeing how much hes progressed and learned since we were kids in his dads garage taking shocks apart and experimenting on our own trucks haha.

Why not just just use a dual rate collars to lower your ride height? Your spring rate will stay the same and then you aren't coil binding the top spring. Not sure why you'd prefer to lock out the top spring vs use the collars???

For sure interested in learning the why/how on this theory.

Why not just just use a dual rate collars to lower your ride height? Your spring rate will stay the same and then you aren't coil binding the top spring. Not sure why you'd prefer to lock out the top spring vs use the collars???

For sure interested in learning the why/how on this theory.
i plan to use the dual rate collars to lower my ride height but i cant right now cuz the upper spring is too long hence why its all the way compressed right now...
if we bring the dual rate collars down and open the top spring up the truck will just get taller right now

Copy. I didn't realize your shocks were different then what I'm used to and the resi hose comes out a little lower on the body.

I never did do well in school haha.

yeah i was thinking you were missing that haha top collar is as high as we could put it

How about some updates. Swapped out top springs and got my ride height back to normal. Took the truck out to koh for a few hours to watch some racing. Drove it there, around koh, and back home with no issues! Getting more of a feel for the shocks and they’re working super super good! I really love the set up and I’m able to push the truck a bit further than i ever have.
Got surrounded by a bunch of big dick swinger trucks and couldn’t pass up the photo op
73BC60AE-6938-4DF9-8227-122AB8AC42FF.jpegE3C20430-3E81-4484-9754-9E096569D582.jpeg
D349D9E1-6D24-4321-8BE9-C1B83734738A.jpeg
Finally found some 631 6 piston Cnc calipers to complete my new knuckles and hub package! My steering knuckles had caliper tabs with 6” on center mounting holes so I wanted to find calipers to match rather than building new caliper mounts because period correct prerunners should be just as big of a thing as period correct hot rods 😂
Here’s some pics on the set up! Just gotta find time to slap it all together.
0206649C-E3DB-4FA9-9215-F64F387A41DC.jpeg

Nice to see you out there for half a second!

Lots of big boy toys out running around for sure. I'm still a fan of the little ol rangers though.

woah. i feel like i just won employee of the month.. seriously though, im honored. thank you dudes
I guess I’ll bump it with a pic

Attachments

• 8A542524-F27F-42FA-942B-91D5C624C50A.jpeg
    8A542524-F27F-42FA-942B-91D5C624C50A.jpeg
    514.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Should have the tag everyone’s favorite ranger. Nothing but nice things to say about this dude. He has helped me for year and year on my build solid dude and a solid truck. Here’s to beers with you on the trails 🤙🏼

Back