How you move your Mountain bike

shi_thead__

So I recently started riding mountain bikes i came from bmx so im used to throwing a bike in the bed of the truck.

With nice suspension and derailers one worries about just tossing the bike in a truck bed.

So i picked up a tailgate pad. That works fine but doesn't really lock them or have any anti theft design.

Fast forward to yesterday when i put my rooftop tent on my nissan to do some roadtrip camping and would like to bring bikes. But how?

I discovered if i pull the seatpost and rear wheel itll fit under the tent. But this still doesn't solve security and the bike sits right on the derailer.

Any ideas? Could fit 2 without wheels layed in the bed underneath.

Ive thought about building a bracket mounted to the bed floor (nissan utilitrack) to maybe catch and clamp the rear through axle. (Maybe it would lock and keep the derailer off the floor)20221027_122009.jpg20221027_114647.jpg

Rad that it fits under the tent !

Id say just lock it up with a cable lock to a tiedown point.

Tailgate pad for the win.

52311853027_6716db68dc_b.jpg

I've found hooking up a strap to the side cleat with a velcro strap will keep the bike upright even on windy roads.

With the tent on there, I'd say most of the time the bed is going to be full of camping stuff. so hitch rack might be a nice.

For Mouse I mounted some yakima roof racks to the rack. Mtb bike sticks off a bit but i wanted to make sure the rack would still open all the way I was trying to figure out a way to mount the tent and the bike. Was thinking of just sliding the tent off to one side and then making some mounts for the bike rad kinda over the bed rail.

51938384814_ecc78fa9ea_b.jpg
51715531506_99d66cfb0f_b.jpg

Hitch rack on motorhome and 4 runner.
52188444886_60087aec2b_b.jpg

Yakima roof set up for my wife ride..
I need to get a hitch on this thing though so I can use the Kuat rack.

52028928606_7b4f325446_b.jpg

Gotta have options 🤡🤡🤡

Mtb is life.

So I recently started riding mountain bikes i came from bmx so im used to throwing a bike in the bed of the truck.

With nice suspension and derailers one worries about just tossing the bike in a truck bed.

So i picked up a tailgate pad. That works fine but doesn't really lock them or have any anti theft design.

Fast forward to yesterday when i put my rooftop tent on my nissan to do some roadtrip camping and would like to bring bikes. But how?

I discovered if i pull the seatpost and rear wheel itll fit under the tent. But this still doesn't solve security and the bike sits right on the derailer.

Any ideas? Could fit 2 without wheels layed in the bed underneath.

Ive thought about building a bracket mounted to the bed floor (nissan utilitrack) to maybe catch and clamp the rear through axle. (Maybe it would lock and keep the derailer off the flView attachment 4337
Taking the rear wheel off seams like your asking for a bent derailleur hanger, I think a hitch mounted back rack is the answer. If you go that route and make sure you get one Like Elliott's that hold the wheels or like mine that mounts through the wheels so you can always fit any type of bike/frame.
1666989495608.pngIMG_3712[1].JPG

Taking the rear wheel off seams like your asking for a bent derailleur hanger, I think a hitch mounted back rack is the answer. If you go that route and make sure you get one Like Elliott's that hold the wheels or like mine that mounts through the wheels so you can always fit any type of bike/frame.
View attachment 4339View attachment 4338
Yeah my biggest concern is the derailer getting bent with the back wheel off.
Thats why i was considering a small standoff to grab the rear axle.
Ill have to look more to see if its practical.

I have a hitch mount one that grabs the toptube but the mtb top tubes are too big a diameter i could modify that and have been thinking about doing that.
Ill look into the style that grab the wheel.

I figure disassembled on top of eachother under the tent is asking for messed up derailers and knicked forks.

Yeah my biggest concern is the derailer getting bent with the back wheel off.
Thats why i was considering a small standoff to grab the rear axle.
Ill have to look more to see if its practical.

I have a hitch mount one that grabs the toptube but the mtb top tubes are too big a diameter i could modify that and have been thinking about doing that.
Ill look into the style that grab the wheel.

I figure disassembled on top of eachother under the tent is asking for messed up derailers and knicked forks.
oh shit i didn't realize you have the rear wheel off too.. yea don't do that.. Can you slide tent over and mount bike on the other side?

If you have bed rails you might be able to do something like this. Should fit with the tent too.

If you have bed rails you might be able to do something like this. Should fit with the tent too.

oo interesting didnt think of off the side like that.

I was thinking about how to protect the rear derailleur and I had an idea of using something like this
mounted to the track system (Nissan had tracks on the floor also) to keep the derailleur off the ground

oo interesting didnt think of off the side like that.

I was thinking about how to protect the rear derailleur and I had an idea of using something like this
mounted to the track system (Nissan had tracks on the floor also) to keep the derailleur off the ground
I thought about putting a mount like that on my tailgate. I was going to run the outside stand up with a softopper, but I have a feeling it'll destroy my fiberglass.

This is a good idea. My only issue is wtf do you do with the front wheel do you just put it in the bed and strap it down? Inside ?

I feel like it's safest on the bike.

This is a good idea. My only issue is wtf do you do with the front wheel do you just put it in the bed and strap it down? Inside ?

I feel like it's safest on the bike.
Bungee it to the seat post! Haha
But yea I would agree. Hasn't stopped me from doing sketchy stuff in the past though
IMG_20221104_125705_350.jpg

ive always tossed it in the back of the truck, derailleur side up.

need to figure something out because the mijos like riding, so i need get 4 bikes places. van life makes more and more sense everyday

be careful with leaving the pad on, its basically an advertisement you have a bike

The bonus of the full size cab is two xl bikes fit in the cab on long trips. These are trips where we are doing trails and such that i don't want stuff hanging off the back.
20191102_064105.jpg
I also use this vertical rack. This is a North Shore 6 bike model. There a bunch more racks in this market now.
RiG'd Supply has a rack that looks promising as well. All the guys there are ex MTB industry guys.20190412_173411.jpg

Damn that vertical rack is pricey! I got two boys and oldest is way into bikes and youngest is finally into it. I have a truck bed but with fifth wheel hitch and trailer hooked up I wanted a rack for behind trailer for four bikes. But not that bad lol, I’ll squeeze them in camper, truck bed or where ever.

Had no clue they went for that much. Just like everything else now that cost twice as much as it should.

opinions... need a bike hauler. 3 kids bikes (16", 20" and probably a 26"), plus mine. not stoked on either options, but buying a new truck is off the table so here we are. thoughts? not sold on 1up but they are metal and based on reviews dont suck.

tray style
https://www.1up-usa.com/product/2in-super-duty-double-bike-rack/ with a addons to get me to 4

vertical style
I don't think either will work with the 16 or 20" but I could be wrong. At least they hang off the tire on the vertical so maybe you can modify it. My vertical rack only works with bike with suspension forks.

Back