How do I get into racing?

For trophy trucks… An appetite to spend millions of dollars for bragging rights.

You can get into a class 11 car relatively cheap. There are other sanctioning bodies besides score that put on races in Baja.

Most all buy their way into this sport. Only a few drivers are actually paid to drive. Even the top TT drivers own their truck and program. Some have sponsors that foot all the bills most don’t. Good drivers usually start racing in limited classes and move up as they progress.

Don’t build anything! Buy a 1600, class 9, class 2000 truck. Then get a group of friends and go to a race or two. try to link up with a team to understand pitting. Then prep your ride, test, race, repeat. Don’t get stuck on racing the big series. Smaller series help support each other more. I pit with 2 other teams.

Most all buy their way into this sport. Only a few drivers are actually paid to drive. Even the top TT drivers own their truck and program. Some have sponsors that foot all the bills most don’t. Good drivers usually start racing in limited classes and move up as they progress.
Sponsors don’t pay as much as you think. I’m friends with the owner of a very well known TT team. One of the largest energy drink sponsor $$$ barely covers fuel cost.

Talking with Tim and ed years ago , monster barely covered fuel costs for the cars, chase trucks, and choppers. Off road racing is most certainly about networking and bragging rights… and not getting rich.

Valle t tacos and Paris hookers keep me coming back.

Talking with Tim and ed years ago , monster barely covered fuel costs for the cars, chase trucks, and choppers. Off road racing is most certainly about networking and bragging rights… and not getting rich.

Valle t tacos and Paris hookers keep me coming back.
I wasn’t talking about the herbst team but the same scenario applies. There is no money to be made. Like most motorsports, if you’re financially fortunate enough to participate. You enjoy it and have fun. That’s it.

Shit.. I forget which team it was, but maybe Mercedes? I could be wrong but it was a big name f1 team, and it took them like 8 years to finally become profitable. And f1 is the pinnacle of racing.

Off road racing is a hobby across the board and not a career path like nascar, F1, top fuel (although dying off slowly) and others. It’s a hobby and a passion project, and to get the most out of it figure out the most inexpensive form of racing that fits your budget. Don’t forget to factor in prep costs, testing/tuning costs, and fuel/food/board costs for the races as well.
Class 11 and class 9 and great entry classes, and class 2000 or 7s are great starting truck classes but not as affordable. Find a few buddies to pitch in time and or money, let them co drive and drive races, and have fun. When you guys want to go faster than step up in class and go. 5 open, class 10/12, 1450/1400, those classes bring a lot more speed but with a heavier wallet.

I saw your thread asking how people afford desert racing. If money were an issue, I’d start by racing something cheaper - go karts come to mind. Once you’ve dialed those in and done all you can, graduate to track cars. Don’t underestimate how much fun racing a slow car door-to-door is. I started with a bone stock 350Z and had a blast, even on dry rotted tires. I’d put it right up next to taking my truck out to the desert. Once you‘ve developed an appetite for lighting your wallet on fire, try desert racing.

When I was young and dumb, I signed up to race 1450. I quickly realized money wasn’t going to allow that to happen. If you race a cheap class and don’t break anything, expect a racing weekend to cost a couple of grand at minimum. Now that I’m old and slightly smarter, I can see that a coke habit would cost me less than racing off road, even with me already having a truck that is very close to race ready.

Summation - buy a Miata, track race it to get a feel for prep, then decide if you want to make the leap to desert racing. If you’re so inclined, try racing dirt bikes in the desert first. I raced for years and realized it’s so much more fun to just go out with my buddies.

I just asked the internet. Apparently it's pretty simple.

Affording a career in off-road racing can be challenging due to the high costs involved in the sport. However, with careful planning, dedication, and strategic financial management, it is possible to pursue a career in off-road racing. Here are some steps you can take to make it more feasible:

1. **Understand the Costs**: Research and understand the costs associated with off-road racing, including vehicle maintenance, race entry fees, travel expenses, safety gear, and insurance.

2. **Create a Budget**: Develop a comprehensive budget that outlines all expenses related to off-road racing. This includes not only the cost of the vehicle and equipment but also ongoing expenses like maintenance, travel, and race fees.

3. **Secure Sponsorship**: Seek out sponsorship opportunities from companies that are willing to support your racing career. This could involve reaching out to local businesses, automotive companies, and racing-related brands to pitch sponsorship proposals.

4. **Start Small**: Begin your racing career with more affordable options such as amateur races or lower-tier racing series. This allows you to gain experience and exposure while keeping costs relatively low.

5. **Invest Wisely**: Prioritize your spending on essential items such as safety equipment and vehicle maintenance. Avoid unnecessary expenses that do not directly contribute to your racing performance.

6. **Network and Build Relationships**: Attend racing events, join racing clubs, and network with other racers, sponsors, and industry professionals. Building relationships within the racing community can open doors to sponsorship opportunities and valuable resources.

7. **Participate in Workshops and Training Programs**: Invest in your skills and knowledge by attending workshops, training programs, and racing schools. Improving your racing abilities can enhance your competitiveness and attract potential sponsors.

8. **Diversify Income Streams**: Explore opportunities to generate income outside of racing to support your career. This could include working part-time jobs, offering racing-related services, or leveraging your expertise in other areas.

9. **Utilize Social Media and Marketing**: Build a strong online presence through social media platforms and create engaging content that showcases your racing journey. Effective marketing can help attract sponsors and supporters to fund your career.

10. **Stay Committed and Persistent**: Off-road racing is a demanding and competitive sport that requires dedication and perseverance. Stay focused on your goals, continuously seek opportunities for improvement, and remain resilient in the face of challenges.

By following these steps and maintaining a strategic approach to managing your finances, you can work towards affording a career in off-road racing. Remember that success in racing often requires a combination of talent, hard work, financial resources, and networking skills.

I just asked the internet. Apparently it's pretty simple.

Affording a career in off-road racing can be challenging due to the high costs involved in the sport. However, with careful planning, dedication, and strategic financial management, it is possible to pursue a career in off-road racing. Here are some steps you can take to make it more feasible:

1. **Understand the Costs**: Research and understand the costs associated with off-road racing, including vehicle maintenance, race entry fees, travel expenses, safety gear, and insurance.

2. **Create a Budget**: Develop a comprehensive budget that outlines all expenses related to off-road racing. This includes not only the cost of the vehicle and equipment but also ongoing expenses like maintenance, travel, and race fees.

3. **Secure Sponsorship**: Seek out sponsorship opportunities from companies that are willing to support your racing career. This could involve reaching out to local businesses, automotive companies, and racing-related brands to pitch sponsorship proposals.

4. **Start Small**: Begin your racing career with more affordable options such as amateur races or lower-tier racing series. This allows you to gain experience and exposure while keeping costs relatively low.

5. **Invest Wisely**: Prioritize your spending on essential items such as safety equipment and vehicle maintenance. Avoid unnecessary expenses that do not directly contribute to your racing performance.

6. **Network and Build Relationships**: Attend racing events, join racing clubs, and network with other racers, sponsors, and industry professionals. Building relationships within the racing community can open doors to sponsorship opportunities and valuable resources.

7. **Participate in Workshops and Training Programs**: Invest in your skills and knowledge by attending workshops, training programs, and racing schools. Improving your racing abilities can enhance your competitiveness and attract potential sponsors.

8. **Diversify Income Streams**: Explore opportunities to generate income outside of racing to support your career. This could include working part-time jobs, offering racing-related services, or leveraging your expertise in other areas.

9. **Utilize Social Media and Marketing**: Build a strong online presence through social media platforms and create engaging content that showcases your racing journey. Effective marketing can help attract sponsors and supporters to fund your career.

10. **Stay Committed and Persistent**: Off-road racing is a demanding and competitive sport that requires dedication and perseverance. Stay focused on your goals, continuously seek opportunities for improvement, and remain resilient in the face of challenges.

By following these steps and maintaining a strategic approach to managing your finances, you can work towards affording a career in off-road racing. Remember that success in racing often requires a combination of talent, hard work, financial resources, and networking skills.

Look we can bicker about this all night but what's done is done, are you gonna to invest or not?

How does someone turn into a trophy truck driver or Baja driver?
Let’s back it up a bit. Obviously as mentioned if you have gobs of money you just buy your way in. If you are like the rest of us peasants. I’d recommend linking up with a team and offer to come help out at the shop while they are working on the car. Or pitting in the desert at a race. Even if it’s just help sweeping the floor and moving stuff in and around trailer. Once you build a relationship and prove to be reliable and trustworthy. More doors will continue to open. If you hang around long enough you could end up in the vehicle co driving or possibly driving. More importantly you’ll have a understanding about what racing takes behind the scenes week after week of teardown, rebuild,etc. getting the vehicle and racing it once is the easy part. Maintaining the vehicle and keeping up on the prep is the part that most people don’t even consider.

Back