Gaining Up Travel from leaf springs

Thanks for all the replies, it's definitely helpful. I'm not too worried about the fab work/install as I do everything myself and I have the time to make parts, I just don't have another daily so I try to keep downtime to a minimum. I just spent $1800 on some 3.0x14" bypasses the other day and will be spending another few hundred on dom and hardware to build a bolt-in bed cage. If I spent another $2500 on the 64 leafs and around $500 to re make the bedcage and get longer shocks then im already at $3000+$1800 on the shocks I have. so $4800. On the other hand, hiems for links are about $150 for the lower 1.25 heims $50 for some bushings, $200 for the upper 4 hiems. and about $300 in link tubes/metal. Say $1400 for coil overs and springs. Another $300 in dom. $750 on a 9” and gears. and i’m looking at $2500 for with the 8.8 or or $3250 with a 9”. This isn’t including a gas tank/fuel cell. Can it be done for less, sure. Will it stay in budget, it never does. Either way I’m doing a cage. The difference is I shouldnt do links before a cage while I can do 64s before a cage.

I’ll set up the bypasses however for now and just use it while I build some links and pivots that I can bolt on later. (weld after mock up of course) But I enjoy building and dont mind spending some time designing some links in solid works and having them laser cut or cutting them by hand. If I decide to go a different route I can always sell what I have. If thats some links and pivots or bedcage and bypasses.

I also need to figure out a way to keep the truck smog legal if I link it. Either stock tank and 3 link, bronco 2 tank?? or fuelcell/tank with stock sending unit. Im not sure.

Is there any such thing as a "basic link install"? I don't think there is, but there is a basic leaf install - even conversion to spring-under is basic / simple. A leaf-sprung bed cage can be done with the stock tank, no cage, etc. Also, that Ruff Stuff kit shown will require some sort of B / C-pillar off which to build the shock mounts and at a minimum relocation of the stock tank due to the upper links. That is also to say nothing of the rear end, which on the American trucks requires some attention (or at least some special upper link mounts) due to the cast center section. I'm not saying that a link setup can't be built on a budget, but links and budget don't often go together when paying someone else to do the work.

Plus linking a truck that is not caged is a shit idea. Think of the nuns! The nuns Bodjy!

By basic I mean the same standard space saving bedcage that you can have with a leaf sprung truck (think dirt king, mazulla...), simple tabs for the lowers on the axle (not baller machined mounts like Jubera makes). Simple. @Motiracer38 linked his truck before caging it. The best idea ever? Not by a long shot. But also not the end of the world.

All I'm thinking about right now is karate choppin' some whoops! I want to hit dirt so badly haha

Even if you decided to go the 64 route which is not a bad option I would wager you'll end up linking the truck down the road anyway. I'm with Bodj you can't beat the ride quality of a linked truck with any leaf set up on the market...... or like most people in the sport realize that you really aren't that into blowing every paycheck and spare second of your life on a 20 year truck and sell it to buy a rhino. Don't be that guy....

Back