Fuel tank fixes

h0runner

Sup bros
Anyone ever used the permatex or jb tank weld for a steel fuel tank? The oem tank in my shitbox has a crack near the drain bolt and can’t find one of the same size as a replacement. Also really don’t wanna drop the tank out of the thing. Soap is working for now it seems but I’d prefer a more “permanent” fix. What sauces have you slapped to get a steel tank to seal its precious tears?
D3903673-482F-4E65-AF33-E5BFB76AA26F.jpeg

Sup bros
Anyone ever used the permatex or jb tank weld for a steel fuel tank? The oem tank in my shitbox has a crack near the drain bolt and can’t find one of the same size as a replacement. Also really don’t wanna drop the tank out of the thing. Soap is working for now it seems but I’d prefer a more “permanent” fix. What sauces have you slapped to get a steel tank to seal its precious tears?
View attachment 6367
So I ran Jb weld and a quarter over a crack in my gas tank for years (5 years?) Eventually, it started to leak again and I end up replacing the tank... I think the tank was only like $130 bucks or something. Was a little bit of a pain in the tits to change but it's nice not having to worry about it?

run your tank down. drain it... prep the metal really well and Butter it up with a whole bunch of JBweld.

Obviously, make sure your repair doesn't fuck up the drain seal.

If that doesn't work... get a new tank and call it a day... or even keep an eye out for a used tank.

Happy JB welding....

So I ran Jb weld and a quarter over a crack in my gas tank for years (5 years?) Eventually, it started to leak again and I end up replacing the tank... I think the tank was only like $130 bucks or something. Was a little bit of a pain in the tits to change but it's nice not having to worry about it?

run your tank down. drain it... prep the metal really well and Butter it up with a whole bunch of JBweld.

Obviously, make sure your repair doesn't fuck up the drain seal.

If that doesn't work... get a new tank and call it a day... or even keep an eye out for a used tank.

Happy JB welding....

Was the tank you got the same size? I can only find 14 gallon tanks

yea just outta 1994 pick up pretty sure I rock auto'd that shit.
Word up. Rockauto only has the 14g tanks, pretty sure mine is 17.something. The hunt begins. Gonna use jb or seal all for now I think. Soap won’t last long in this rain.

Bar of soap last for years.

@h0runner You heard the man. A bar of Dial will have you dialed. 🫠 I’ll let myself out.
It lasted 6 hours in this rain haha. Got to work this morning and within an hour probably half a gallon was on the parking lot. Home now, gonna drain the tank and smear some seal all on there for now. I have a pneumatic drill, should I hit the ends with a tiny drill bit to stop the crack?

Just out of curiosity, what do you have under the "bed", behind the rear axle? Its not as easy as swapping in a new tank, but what about putting a BII tank in behind the axle? Youd p/u roughly 5 gallons of capacity and have the weight centralized (centered?) to/in the rear.

...yeah, on 2nd thought, $200 and a few hours of your time sounds way easier than all the fab work and plumbing involved in putting a BII tank in there haha.

Just out of curiosity, what do you have under the "bed", behind the rear axle? Its not as easy as swapping in a new tank, but what about putting a BII tank in behind the axle? Youd p/u roughly 5 gallons of capacity and have the weight centralized (centered?) to/in the rear.

...yeah, on 2nd thought, $200 and a few hours of your time sounds way easier than all the fab work and plumbing involved in putting a BII tank in there haha.
Got them thicc boi shocks under the bed leaned back to keep ‘em out of the cab.

Bout to weld mine or buy a new one lol. Think my dirty migger machine can seal it up?
If you don’t blow holes through it or actually get good welds on it

The problem with mig is it’s harder to make sure that first weld actually sealed the crack, then the subsequent ones after. If it didn’t, you gotta grind it out and re-try it. You can’t just weld back over it. With a tig, you just heat it up again and have far more control to make sure it’s sealed.

If you don’t blow holes through it or actually get good welds on it

The problem with mig is it’s harder to make sure that first weld actually sealed the crack, then the subsequent ones after. If it didn’t, you gotta grind it out and re-try it. You can’t just weld back over it. With a tig, you just heat it up again and have far more control to make sure it’s sealed.
Yeaaaa probably buy a new one or hit up the local junk yard

Little update, junkyards drill all their tanks out now days. Local parts authority was able to get me a new tank overnighted for a decent price so I went that route. Fuel pump bracket didn’t fit so I had to take a little off the top
9E3626C4-2E7F-412C-9ABA-EB2BBDF4F8B0.jpeg
Got that slammed together and went and filled it up. Fit 16 gallons even though it was marketed as a 14g tank. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Inside of the old tank looks fantastic so I’ll probably clean the fuck out of it and still wait a month and take it over to @Turboyota for some tiggy action. Not sure what caused the crack but what a pain in the taint.

Back