Emergency Brake Solution

I was thinking about doing that also. My 1998 100-series Land Cruiser had the same setup which I think is pretty slick but the emergency brake never really held all that well. Maybe it was the weight of the vehicle that was too much for that e-brake setup. What's your experience with it holding your truck on a decent slope?

What kind of simple fab work did you have do?
It holds my Tacoma, as long as it’s adjusted well.

I had to make new cable stops for the cable ends at the wheel side, thread the old cable bosses for the new parking brake cable and a small bracket on the frame rail for the brake cables.

Putting the shoes together is an absolute pain in the ass. The axle flange blocks access and you are working through a 3/4” hole on the axle flange.

I got the complete axle from a local, high priced, junkyard for $500 complete.

02-07 Sequoia Rear Calipers and Rotors, Wilwood Parking brake calipers, on the 12 bolt truck in my 01 Tundra. The pad to caliper mount spacing worked out brilliantly on the pair and needed no spacers. The adjustment procedure on the parking brake calipers was kind of funky but once adjusted it worked fine. I had some hubcentric rings turned up to index the rotor to the hub but didn't grab pictures of it. The brackets are 3/8 steel plate cut by send cut send. I made a r2 version of the bracket once I got the clocking where I liked it. For cables, I picked up a knockoff of a flaming river universal kit and tied it to the stock cable turnbuckle.

20230516_132254[1].jpg

20230528_123910[1].jpg

Sean

Dude you should sell these. There is a serious need for better disc conversions on these trucks
It doesn't work with the stock rear, I probably could adapt the bracket to bolt on with the yota axle flanges but I don't have the 8.4 on my truck to test with.

If you want to do it with oe parts, SOS has a kit but its pricey.

Sean

Ahh, reading comprehension. I didn’t read the GM 12B part.

OP, I want to say there’s no reason that SOS kit wouldn’t work for a T100 axle, they all share the same bearing pocket bolt pattern. Only thing I can think that would need adapting to your truck is the cables maybe. But $1400 is too rich for my blood lol

Ahh, reading comprehension. I didn’t read the GM 12B part.

OP, I want to say there’s no reason that SOS kit wouldn’t work for a T100 axle, they all share the same bearing pocket bolt pattern. Only thing I can think that would need adapting to your truck is the cables maybe. But $1400 is too rich for my blood lol
To be fair, its a stupid swap so I don't blame your brain from saying "what the fuck?" and just moving on as if you hadn't read it lol.

Remember kids, just do it right the first time so you don't have to do it over again...

Sean

I wish there was an easy disk conversion for the yotas with a vf1a transfer case. @SaltyMethods we both have a chain transfer case and there’s not really any options for us that aren’t custom that I’ve been able to find. You can always find a newer junkyard axle that has disk brakes with a parking brake already integrated.

If I can get my shit together I will work on something. I have a spare tundra chain drive case in my garage. No promises on speed though.

Ill do a printout of the bracket I did and upload it so yall can screw around with adapting the calipers to your axle.

Sean

Sean's 6-lug12 bolt truck rear axle to 2006 Toyota Sequoia brake conversion details:

DiScLaImEr:
These fit my truck, they may not fit yours, they are not DOT approved, and the FAA will not allow them to be used on the 787-dreamliner because they can make the door fall off. Use them at your own risk, they have not been engineered. This is not a bolt on kit but it mostly bolts on. You will need nuts and bolts but that is a you problem, not a me problem. I did the hard part you can figure out the rest, mostly because it will depend on your setup what bolt lengths you will need. You could probably make the bracket better or do it in two pieces but this is how I wanted to do it and get it to clear my leaf springs so bite me.

All that out of the way, here is what I used.

Hub rings were ordered through https://www.uswheeladapters.com/ the specs are:
106mm od (to fit the yota wheel center register)
90mm id (to fit the gm 6 lug axle flange od)
17mm thick (to get the centering ring out far enough so it registered on the wheel bore and brake rotor)
Half flange 0.050" (so it stays in place under the brake rotor)

Brake rotor:
2006 Toyota Sequoia Rear Rotors
106mm id hub register
12.283" od

Brake Calipers:
2006 Toyota Sequoia Rear Calipers

Brake Lines:
I'll try to confirm this later today but it should be BH620402 and BH620403 from a honda? Because I needed the extra length, they are 18-9/16".

Parking Brakes:
WILWOOD MC-4 120-12069-BK & 120-12070-BK

Parking Brake Cables:

They are just okay, probably buy the lokar or flaming river version.

Bracket:
3/8" Steel, cut via send-cut-send. If you mount it on the inside edge of the axle end flange, you need to cut/grind/chisel/chew a chamfer on the ID of the mounting flange. It will mount on the outer surface of the axle flange no problem but since the axle is semi-floating c-clip, you need to play with the spacing. I think I ended up with one on the outside and one on the inside. Thanks Chevy!

1711204974359.png
The "PDF" files are really dxf exports, just change the file extensions and it should work.

Sean

Attachments

• Rear Brake Caliper Mount Bridge.pdf
    486 KB · Views: 0
  • Rear Brake Caliper Mount R2.pdf
    490.6 KB · Views: 0
Back