Advice on I beam coil over setup

Absolutely. Any advice you need feel free to ask! It’s all a process.

The setup you posted will work good! One thing though is 14” shocks will be too long for that style setup with the extended shock mounts raised up off the frame on the front. Likely a 12” shock is what you will be looking for and will cycle well maybe even a 10”. You need to get the beams installed, cycle them and see what you can clear at full bump with the shocks compressed and then you can land the upper mount.
Okay, I’ll look for some used ones online or if any of the local fab shops in my area have any they don’t need anymore. Was hoping those 14’s woulda worked cus they’re free haha

I really like your approach on this build, i had the auto fab bent beam kit on my ranger in highschool and it was killer for what i was doing with the truck. That kit can be installed in a few hours if you are reasonably mechanical and have the truck ready for school monday. You could possibly look into hanging 14” Bilstein off the front of the beam as well, it may take a bit more fab/ trimming but it was a common setup many moons ago. There were quite a few prerunners built around the platform your going for. Good luck post pics! Here are a few similar builds🤙🏻

Attachments

• IMG_1611.jpeg
    IMG_1611.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1613.jpeg
    IMG_1613.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1616.jpeg
    IMG_1616.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1615.jpeg
    IMG_1615.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1614.jpeg
    IMG_1614.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1619.jpeg
    IMG_1619.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1618.jpeg
    IMG_1618.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 17
I really like your approach on this build, i had the auto fab bent beam kit on my ranger in highschool and it was killer for what i was doing with the truck. That kit can be installed in a few hours if you are reasonably mechanical and have the truck ready for school monday. You could possibly look into hanging 14” Bilstein off the front of the beam as well, it may take a bit more fab/ trimming but it was a common setup many moons ago. There were quite a few prerunners built around the platform your going for. Good luck post pics! Here are a few similar builds🤙🏻

Attachments

• IMG_1609.jpeg
    IMG_1609.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1610.jpeg
    IMG_1610.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 16
I really like your approach on this build, i had the auto fab bent beam kit on my ranger in highschool and it was killer for what i was doing with the truck. That kit can be installed in a few hours if you are reasonably mechanical and have the truck ready for school monday. You could possibly look into hanging 14” Bilstein off the front of the beam as well, it may take a bit more fab/ trimming but it was a common setup many moons ago. There were quite a few prerunners built around the platform your going for. Good luck post pics! Here are a few similar builds🤙🏼
These oldscool photos are rad! Do you know if that first black ranger had a 14” shock on it? My school has a pipe bender and I could definitely make a similar style shock hoop that connects to the coil bucket how his is.
Like you said if running the 14” reservoir with the coil spring was a common setup back then I’ll look into making a similar shock hoop

as been stated above, FOA's are just pretty poor in the quality department, I have personally opened up brand new FOA's and found metal burrs throughout the shocks and they leaked right out of the box. Machining on all their parts leaves much too be desired as well, Biggest thing about this sport is to learn patience when building and installing parts! The more patient and meticulous you are putting the truck together the better it will turn out!

These oldscool photos are rad! Do you know if that first black ranger had a 14” shock on it? My school has a pipe bender and I could definitely make a similar style shock hoop that connects to the coil bucket how his is.
Like you said if running the 14” reservoir with the coil spring was a common setup back then I’ll look into making a similar shock hoop
I dont know for sure if the black truck had a 12” or 14” on it, the body looks pretty long, so it may have been a 14”. Back when that was the norm, by-passes and large diameter shocks were relatively new. It was pretty common to stack a bunch of 2” shocks on each corner, and alot of people ran the longest the could to get as much oil volume possible on each corner to help combat shock fade. Many of the shocks back then were not position sensitive, so the “zones” like bypasses have were not as critical, or creative valving was used as well.

Cool then I’ll probably stick with my 14” and make a similar shock hoop.
What does position sensitive and the “zones” mean? Like if the shock is too far inboard or outboard on the beam or if the angle of the shock is too steep?

When you look at a bypass shock, it has compression tubes and rebound tubes to allow fluid to bypass the piston, depending on where these tubes are located on the shock bod, it will create a zone in which it controls via external adjustment. Smooth body shocks, you are limited to how how the compression and rebound stacks are built to control dampening. Ads has some good writes ups on shock in another thread on here. As was as shock placement for what you are building, i would suggest trying to get as close to perpendicular to the beam and radius arm at full bump and try to mount the shock as far out on the beam as reasonably possible, you will most likely encounter some challenges with the coil bucket in the stock location, but once you get in there and start building and cycling it, you will figure out where it needs to live. Like most builds, there will be compromises, just take your time and measure 2x- cut 1x

Couple decent items here- Decent price on the rear end. Not much savings on the 64 kit, but im sure you could negotiate that down.

When you look at a bypass shock, it has compression tubes and rebound tubes to allow fluid to bypass the piston, depending on where these tubes are located on the shock bod, it will create a zone in which it controls via external adjustment. Smooth body shocks, you are limited to how how the compression and rebound stacks are built to control dampening. Ads has some good writes ups on shock in another thread on here. As was as shock placement for what you are building, i would suggest trying to get as close to perpendicular to the beam and radius arm at full bump and try to mount the shock as far out on the beam as reasonably possible, you will most likely encounter some challenges with the coil bucket in the stock location, but once you get in there and start building and cycling it, you will figure out where it needs to live. Like most builds, there will be compromises, just take your time and measure 2x- cut 1x
Alright that makes a lot more sense now and gives me a better idea on how I’m going to make my shock mounts. I’ll most likely post them on here to get your guys’ input before I burn everything in

Couple decent items here- Decent price on the rear end. Not much savings on the 64 kit, but im sure you could negotiate that down.

There’s some 4.10’s for sale that are my ring gear size so I won’t have to swap the whole rear end. I’ll probably throw those in there with a spool to lock it up.

Back