Advice on I beam coil over setup

92singlecab

I have a 92 ranger with I beam suspension. I want to do a mid travel/long travel build relatively on a budget. I want to build this truck to go through the desert at speed and handle well through whoops.

What are your guys recommendations for I beams, should I get my stock ones bents and weld a coilover mount, or should I get custom ones made? If so what places do you all recommend I should buy beams from, or send my stock ones? Would the stock width beams be good to run with the coil over or should I try to get some wider I beams? If so what beams do you all recommend?

For the coil over I was debating between a fox 2.5 x 12 or a sway a way 2.5 x 12 or 2.5 x14 both remote reservoirs. What do you guys think will work better or the same?

Any other ideas or advice is appreciated thank you

I second a set of Geoffs Beams! Been running his equal length beams and links for many years now with zero issues. Best bang for your buck! May sting at first, However in the long run you will save yourself a ton of time and money if you start with some decent suspension rather than trying to "Make due"

I run Giant Motorsports, and I have a Equal length beam kit with a hand full of different rear setups to work from. I also have everything in a Weld It Yourself.

Attachments

• 50041743_10213497539295055_4207145071746744320_n.jpg
    50041743_10213497539295055_4207145071746744320_n.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 9
  • 80314426_2531530490414658_1682922517632647168_n.jpg
    80314426_2531530490414658_1682922517632647168_n.jpg
    356.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 80390954_2531524873748553_4593432085296840704_n.jpg
    80390954_2531524873748553_4593432085296840704_n.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 280219157_3360168654268274_2613134201943859628_n.jpg
    280219157_3360168654268274_2613134201943859628_n.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 63536831919__6799FAE4-2D2F-41CD-BF2F-BDCE802FF2DE.JPG
    63536831919__6799FAE4-2D2F-41CD-BF2F-BDCE802FF2DE.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6131.PNG
    IMG_6131.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • thumbnail_image1.jpg
    thumbnail_image1.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 11
Thank you all for the replies and I hear and see a lot of good things about Geoff’s beams on the internet. However I'm still in high school and am trying to build this truck more on a budget. Later on in life though I will most likely run a set of Giant Beams and Radius Arms.

For the build I'm thinking of doing, I want to build it like the old school AutoFab trucks: Stock width beams bent for 4" of lift, 4" coil spring, and 2 4" Bilstein 5100's per corner. And of course extended radius arms. For the rear a Deaver spring with the stock flipped shackle, and some piggyback resi shocks I have laying around.

I'm shooting for 12-14" of front end travel with this build for now. Do you all think that setup will achieve that travel number and do you think that it would work good as a setup? Also, I may end up ditching the coil springs and shock and may end up doing 2.5-12 FOA coilovers as they're a local shop and can set them up for me. Which do you think would work better the coils with 2 shocks, or the FOA coilovers?

Sorry to disappoint by not running the Giant Beams, but any advice or tips is appreciated!

This is the beam kit I want to run
https://www.threatmotorsports.com/product-page/2wd-ford-ranger-explorer-stock-width-beam-kits

Insporation truck

Last edited:
Thank you all for the replies and I hear and see a lot of good things about Geoff’s beams on the internet. However I'm still in high school and am trying to build this truck more on a budget. Later on in life though I will most likely run a set of Giant Beams and Radius Arms.

For the build I'm thinking of doing, I want to build it like the old school AutoFab trucks: Stock width beams bent for 4" of lift, 4" coil spring, and 2 4" Bilstein 5100's per corner. And of course extended radius arms. For the rear a Deaver spring with the stock flipped shackle, and some piggyback resi shocks I have laying around.

I'm shooting for 12-14" of front end travel with this build for now. Do you all think that setup will achieve that travel number and do you think that it would work good as a setup? Also, I may end up ditching the coil springs and shock and may end up doing 2.5-12 FOA coilovers as they're a local shop and can set them up for me. Which do you think would work better the coils with 2 shocks, or the FOA coilovers?

Sorry to disappoint by not running the Giant Beams, but any advice or tips is appreciated!

This is the beam kit I want to run
https://www.threatmotorsports.com/product-page/2wd-ford-ranger-explorer-stock-width-beam-kits

Insporation truck
sounds like a solid start! going to a set of coilovers over coil spring would be a solid choice! However I would steer clear of FOA's, You can purchase a good used set of shocks off race dezert or even find some here in the classifieds. I Have quite a few excess shims for King and fox. I would be more than willing to help you dial them in at no charge if that's the route you end up going! I remember the days of scrounging every dollar I had as a high school kid to build my truck, So if we can help you out in anyway feel free to reach out!

In my opinion...I would do Giant with coilovers. Then you'll be much closer to something that can go over whoops a little better. Dual Bilsteins will be terrible. I have been there done that ha ha!

I would buy tools and start there...then save up and do it once (most anything cool will require fabrication). You won't have to go full kill to have fun. But you'll want it later.

I would say get a non-smog truck 1975-earlier and learn vehicles....easy to work on, cheap insurance, unique, etc.

sounds like a solid start! going to a set of coilovers over coil spring would be a solid choice! However I would steer clear of FOA's, You can purchase a good used set of shocks off race dezert or even find some here in the classifieds. I Have quite a few excess shims for King and fox. I would be more than willing to help you dial them in at no charge if that's the route you end up going! I remember the days of scrounging every dollar I had as a high school kid to build my truck, So if we can help you out in anyway feel free to reach out!
Awesome I appreciate the insight and the offer to help dial in the truck! Why would you steer clear of FOA's? I've heard of the seals blowing but are they really that bad to just avoid them all together?
I also thought of running a coil spring and a single 2.5x10 FOA reservoir shock up front. Would that work good or at that point should I just go the extra mile and put coilovers on? I wonder if that would work good because if I'm already going to go through the process of making a dual shock mount, should I just make a mount for one big reservoir shock while still running the coil spring? What would work better, worse, or the same?

Could also source a set of used SXS coil overs or take off's pretty cheap. Performance will still be much better then coil bucket/Bilstein's. It would however require some custom fabed shock mounts because SXS shock lengths can be funky.

In my opinion...I would do Giant with coilovers. Then you'll be much closer to something that can go over whoops a little better. Dual Bilsteins will be terrible. I have been there done that ha ha!

I would buy tools and start there...then save up and do it once (most anything cool will require fabrication). You won't have to go full kill to have fun. But you'll want it later.

I would say get a non-smog truck 1975-earlier and learn vehicles....easy to work on, cheap insurance, unique, etc.
I was trying to help the kid stay as cheap as possible lol

But yea avoid FOA’s all together. Buy a used set of name brand shocks.

I was trying to help the kid stay as cheap as possible lol

But yea avoid FOA’s all together. Buy a used set of name brand shocks.
Yeah giant level stuff would be rad but I don’t get giant level paychecks haha
Ok cool I might be able to source some bilstein piggyback reservoirs off of an old Jeep that doesn’t run anymore, the shocks never even got used.
What makes FOA’s so bad I’m just curious?

Heres some advice for you man.

I like you started getting into the offroad world in high school. I totally get that you have a budget to work with and have to keep that in mind with what your spending on your truck. However there are some companies in the offroad industry that have parts that may be affordable or seem like they would work good but it will leave you with more issues in the end and frustrated that you spent your hard earned money on it.

I highly suggest running with the saying "Buy once, cry once". I have owned FOAS in the past i bought a set 15 years ago when they came out and put them on the back of my old truck. Do they work, yes. but the quality isnt there. They leak, have very poor quality control, and just overall are a shitty product.

By no means am i saying that you need to buy trophy truck level parts, however i would highly suggest to continue doing your research and really put together mentally and on paper what you want out of the truck. You might not know this currently but overall its helpful to have a general idea of what you want out of it. You already stated that you wanted a long travel setup with coilovers, so although that basic threat kit is cool and might work decent for you, i have a feeling in a couple years you will be wanting more from the suspension.

The used market these days is pretty good. I would suggest keeping a good eye out on facebook marketplace, RDC classifieds, the classifieds on here, offer up etc. If your patient you can slowly get a nice stock pile of parts together and get your truck to the level you want while staying on a budget. I would recommend you start with a used basic long travel front end and find a used set of coilovers. Either king, fox, or older sway away. If the shocks are tired you can rebuild them yourself if you have the skills or theres plenty of shops that can rebuild them pretty cheap. A bolt on engine cage and then run it like that for a while. Later on then you can focus on the rear end.

From my experience the two biggest mistakes i see people make when building trucks is not buying the right parts the first time ( i have learned the hard way) or taking on too much work at once and then your truck is not drivable for a period of months or years.

Save up some money, buy some good used parts, refresh them and install them and keep your truck running and driving throughout the build.

Just did a quick search.

This beam kit would require hubs which is probably more than you want. But gives you an idea of whats out there used.

Heres another- Read listing- Beam kit for 600

keep your truck running and driving throughout the build.
This is what i did for my build first mild build and glad I did. Truck was usable between each stage of the build which helped me from losing interest and it becoming a garage queen.

Save up some monnies, gather all parts, and keep the build moving along rapidly

I like you started getting into the offroad world in high school. I totally get that you have a budget to work with and have to keep that in mind with what your spending on your truck. However there are some companies in the offroad industry that have parts that may be affordable or seem like they would work good but it will leave you with more issues in the end and frustrated that you spent your hard earned money on it.

I highly suggest running with the saying "Buy once, cry once". I have owned FOAS in the past i bought a set 15 years ago when they came out and put them on the back of my old truck. Do they work, yes. but the quality isnt there. They leak, have very poor quality control, and just overall are a shitty product.

By no means am i saying that you need to buy trophy truck level parts, however i would highly suggest to continue doing your research and really put together mentally and on paper what you want out of the truck. You might not know this currently but overall its helpful to have a general idea of what you want out of it. You already stated that you wanted a long travel setup with coilovers, so although that basic threat kit is cool and might work decent for you, i have a feeling in a couple years you will be wanting more from the suspension.

The used market these days is pretty good. I would suggest keeping a good eye out on facebook marketplace, RDC classifieds, the classifieds on here, offer up etc. If your patient you can slowly get a nice stock pile of parts together and get your truck to the level you want while staying on a budget. I would recommend you start with a used basic long travel front end and find a used set of coilovers. Either king, fox, or older sway away. If the shocks are tired you can rebuild them yourself if you have the skills or theres plenty of shops that can rebuild them pretty cheap. A bolt on engine cage and then run it like that for a while. Later on then you can focus on the rear end.

From my experience the two biggest mistakes i see people make when building trucks is not buying the right parts the first time ( i have learned the hard way) or taking on too much work at once and then your truck is not drivable for a period of months or years.

Save up some money, buy some good used parts, refresh them and install them and keep your truck running and driving throughout the build.
This really helped thank you for the insight! I have a pretty good idea of what I want to with it for now and I have a good amount of the parts to do so.

When I get older I’ll definitely tear the truck back apart and put wider beams with coilovers on, but for now I want to do something clean and simple that I can have fun with while also staying on a budget

This is what i did for my build first mild build and glad I did. Truck was usable between each stage of the build which helped me from losing interest and it becoming a garage queen.

Save up some monnies, gather all parts, and keep the build moving along rapidly
I’m most likely going to do the same thing, build it for fun first then with more time, money, and experience turn it into an actual long travel truck

This is the build I have planned for the ranger as of now:
Up front if will get the stock width threat Motorsports beam and radius arm kit that I previously linked
For a shock setup I have the 4” lift coil springs, and had a brand new set of Bilstein 2.0x14 reservoir shocks laying around from one of my dads old projects.
For the shock mount I basically plan on copying this design which is an OEM shock tower off an OBS F-250 tied into the stock coil bucket
IMG_6409.jpeg
For the rear, a set of deaver leaf springs with the shackle flipped upside down, and a pair of bilstein 5100’s that will later get swapped for another set of 2.0x14 bilstein reservoir shocks.

I want to hear all of your guys’ opinions on this setup, good, bad, things I should change, anything. Thank you to everyone who responded to this thread with advice and inputs I really appreciate all of them!

This really helped thank you for the insight! I have a pretty good idea of what I want to with it for now and I have a good amount of the parts to do so.

When I get older I’ll definitely tear the truck back apart and put wider beams with coilovers on, but for now I want to do something clean and simple that I can have fun with while also staying on a budget
Absolutely. Any advice you need feel free to ask! It’s all a process.

The setup you posted will work good! One thing though is 14” shocks will be too long for that style setup with the extended shock mounts raised up off the frame on the front. Likely a 12” shock is what you will be looking for and will cycle well maybe even a 10”. You need to get the beams installed, cycle them and see what you can clear at full bump with the shocks compressed and then you can land the upper mount.

Back