88 toyota single cab, go fast?

88WhiteTurd

yo, my truck is a 1988 toyota single cab 22re 5 speed. im new to alot of this so im here to learn, i recently got my first real taste of the desert in johnson valley in big rock crawlers. but what I really loved was the whoops, the truck i was in was set up pretty well to go fast and i think i was bit by the bug lol. i have been looking at the total chaos kit for my truck for awhile and think that's the way i'm going to go. i am a college student so it might be awhile :/ . but i'll try to make incremental posts for updates and i'll have plenty of questions. but right now i think after i do the kit ill go to 63s (spring over) in the rear with fox 2.0. i also have a good deal of maintenance to do before i do anything fun. oh and i'm also on 33x10.5 R15 and stock ifs and stock rear. I'm open to any ideas anyone has ( i would like to keep it on 33s) it is a daily and I will be building some bed drawers so there will be some weight in the back so we will see how far i want to go lol im also not totally closed off to doing a sas. alot is still up in the air. thankyou :)

yo, my truck is a 1988 toyota single cab 22re 5 speed. im new to alot of this so im here to learn, i recently got my first real taste of the desert in johnson valley in big rock crawlers. but what I really loved was the whoops, the truck i was in was set up pretty well to go fast and i think i was bit by the bug lol. i have been looking at the total chaos kit for my truck for awhile and think that's the way i'm going to go. i am a college student so it might be awhile :/ . but i'll try to make incremental posts for updates and i'll have plenty of questions. but right now i think after i do the kit ill go to 63s (spring over) in the rear with fox 2.0. i also have a good deal of maintenance to do before i do anything fun. oh and i'm also on 33x10.5 R15 and stock ifs and stock rear. I'm open to any ideas anyone has ( i would like to keep it on 33s) it is a daily and I will be building some bed drawers so there will be some weight in the back so we will see how far i want to go lol im also not totally closed off to doing a sas. alot is still up in the air. thankyou :)
Welcome !

You need to build this

Total Chaos Uniball Kit.
f67 Deavers out back.

Keep it simple and in the dirt!

3836230034_0ab25db910_b.jpg

3504788994_a5668a2d4c_h.jpg

lol tempting she is 4wd so i wanna keep that and just have her be decent all around for desert driving and road trips, i know there isnt a perfect medium but im willing to sacrifice some on road manners

Luckily your truck is 4wd. Total Chaos doesn’t make the 2wd pickup kits anymore. You won’t be sacrificing much road manners at all with a TC kit and deavers. You’ll probably like the way it drives better actually!

that's what i would love to do w/ the deavers in the back and keeping it leaf over but my only road block is the price, i just cant swing that now lol. but i had a co worker suggest that i extend the front top shock mount up and run a class 11 fox shock with a 5in stroke and a ball joint spacer along with chevy 63s and fox 10in shock for the rear. this will be the most budget friendly and attainable at the moment. any thoughts?

You cant go wrong with the caddy kit(s). I ran the older torsion bar kit with just an 8" bypass on my 89 4runner and it did great. As long as you realize youve only got 12" of travel and youre not rocking a trophy truck, youll be stoked.10629599_10203282051465351_5465523293671955314_n.jpg

@01SilverSender you still got these parts for sale??

https://forum.badlinesgoodtimes.com/threads/toyota-pickup-long-travel-parts.1313/

Also don't be scared away from a spring under setup. I'm no Toyota expert but the Deavers will be the most expensive part in the rear, so why not just buy one set and spend the couple extra bucks for the shackles and hangers needed to convert to spring under. Versus buying leaf over Deavers for $1k and then after two trips realizing you should have went spring under from the beginning and have to save up the dough for another set of Deavers.

makes sense, I saw that post and i'm just not sure if i'll do a gen 1 and then want to go to coilovers i think i just run the modified stock for awhile and save for the gen 2, and build the rear first. could anyone tell me if there and down sides for going leaf under in the rear for on road use if there is any, i still want to be able to drive this thing not only to trails but also pretty much everywhere. idk if I'm asking too much lol thanks for the help guys :)

Both my trucks feel like they are driving on rails on hards corners on road driving characteristics are great

Don’t do total chaos it’s way overpriced. Go with jd fab has a boxed lower arm better quality and not as much out the door. And f67s
I disagree with this statement.

Total Chaos is a proven company over decades. Personally, I have beat the shit out of my TC Uniball kit over the last 14 years and it was probably 10+ years old when I bought it. When I crashed my truck in the dunes years ago, they assisted me in getting my truck back in action. Total Chaos supports the forum and what we are doing here at Bad Lines Good Times. Their service and product is top-notch.

I don't know anything about JD Fab so I can't speak for pricing or quality.

Any brand-new parts are going to be much more expensive than something used. For @88WhiteTurd I'd recommend getting something used within the budget... Keep it simple and in the dirt.

Elliott

on second thought I think I'm going to try to go with the first gen kit that's for sale and keep the torsion bars and have some fun and when I wanna throw more money at it ill do the gen 2 arms and coil overs w/ deavers. but I think 63s will work for now. I also realized that the old kit that is up for sale comes with the idler and steering upgrades so if I don't have those later I don't want to. and I agree with TC being a really cool company and I know they stand by their shit. Ill try to get some photos up soon but the old bitch has a lot of leaks so that's something I got to address before I start any suspension. I fucked up my install on my rear main seal and I have a transfer case leak but that's owning old trucks lol.

That steering upgrade alone is worth the price of the kit. King Kong steering is baller.

I had chevy 63s and a mix of various other springs on my old blue pickup. They weren't that great.

that, what I was thinking lol. did u run the 63's spring under or over? I'm also where people are mounting the rear shock tabs?

that, what I was thinking lol. did u run the 63's spring under or over? I'm also where people are mounting the rear shock tabs?

They were spring under since it was a 2wd.

Lower shock mounts should be off the front of the axle to combat axle wrap. You'll have to make your own upper mounts via bedcage or something similar

that's part of one of my problems is that I do not want a bed cage the truck still wanna keep it a camping rig there is the volcom 4runner that has a Toyota 8.4 rear with 16in bypasses angled backwards not sure how well shocks angled backwards do but I heard that thing rips

that's part of one of my problems is that I do not want a bed cage the truck still wanna keep it a camping rig there is the volcom 4runner that has a Toyota 8.4 rear with 16in bypasses angled backwards not sure how well shocks angled backwards do but I heard that thing rips
You can fit shocks under the bed, but it's just not the absolute best setup. Totally doable and way better than stock.

Back