3RD GEN 4 RUNNER

Whipped up skid plate as well; debated a lot about mounting it and the different ways others are done. Opted to use some pickup points at the rear up the pumpkin, and a mix of 'clamping' as well. Started out with some templates to clear around the R&P.
IMG_1106.JPG

Added in some small drain holes, as well as a bit more material at the front side of the drain plug cutout.
IMG_1140.JPG

IMG_1138.JPG

IMG_1144.JPG

IMG_1147.JPG

With tidying things up at the rear of the vehicle and moving into mounting the rear bumper, I needed to get the rear lights/antenna/whip mounts finished up. I'd originally built these out when it had the stock bumper on the rear, but with the updated change to the BA rear bumper, I had to make some changes.

As with most things, chipboard mock-ups are vital and helped me establish the curve just under the taillight.
IMG_0033.JPG

Getting the initial baseplates tacked up and working inward from there.
IMG_1230 2.JPG

Given that these could serve as CB antenna mounts or rear light mounts, I didn't fully trust them hanging off the hatch bumper bolts and decided to build a small support under them. It was at about this time I got the news of the change of bumpers - glad I didn't drill into the OEM bumper haha.
IMG_1146.JPG

Fast forward like 9 months later, and the bumpers landed and I was sent home with an initial prototype to start chopping up. These are for the 5th gen 4 Runners, so they're about 9 inches wider between the outermost 'wings'; I'd have to cut out the center and get it to sit closer.
IMG_0785.JPG

Finding the centerline so I can make the cuts and get it to sit closer to the body.
IMG_0788.JPG

No going back now...it's just metal after all haha!
IMG_0805.JPG

Got it tacked up, verified fitment and took some more measurements.
IMG_0882.JPG

Built out some bumper mounts - with the bumper having opposing slotted holes, I added some in the bracket in order to finalize fitment as close as possible.
IMG_0936.JPG

Got the mounts back from powder and got the bumper sitting just right.
DSC00219.JPG

I started roughing out and fitting up a trim panel to bridge the gap between the bumper and the lower latch area. The difference between where the 3rd and 5th gens lie are quite a bit different. Also had a trim panel cut out for the top of the bumper.
IMG_1042.JPG

At the forward most edge is a slotted bracket that helps brace the front of the bumper. Although pretty stout without it, I opted to add it in so there's minimal deflection up there.
IMG_1084.JPG

I then added some standoffs on the side of the body and cut/bent up a trim panel to cover and fill the gap a bit better.
IMG_1091.JPG

DSC00213.JPG

Back