2011 3.5 Fraptor

Cleandezert

Since i am actually getting work done for a change on my truck, thought i would add a build thread.

I got this truck about 2 years ago pretty much as you see it. I wanted something i can take my kid and dogs to the desert in without having to tow anything. Had some ups and downs with this, but will try and provide a bit of my journey.

Attachments

• left side.jpg
    left side.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 71
  • rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 54
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 55
Specs
Front End: is a BMS mid travel kit with 3.0 coilovers/3.0 bypass and 2.0 bumps. Has kibbetech swing set steering with ram assit.
Rear End: is Currie full floater with deaver spring under and 3.0 bypasses with a kibbetech custom bedcage.
Motor: 3.5 twin turbo ecoboost, upgraded intercooler, intake, blow off valves with tuner

pros of this truck is it looks cool.

Cons: just had motor rebuilt, just had trans rebuilt, have gone through 2 3rd members in 2 years, and the rear end only has 4" of bump travel.

Its going to Richer racing in 2 weeks for spring under and notching the frame to gain more up travel in the rear. Then the front will get revalved again and full prep. From there hoping it will be good for the next year or two.

Here are some pics of the center console i had Jubera fab make me. Its now powder coated black.

Attachments

• IMG_4207.jpg
    IMG_4207.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4208.jpg
    IMG_4208.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 48
dropped truck off at richer racing yesterday and they are already getting it torn down.
I also am going to have a Detroit true track locker installed as about a year ago i went from an old detroit locker to a spool. I hated the old locker as it woudl lock and unlock at the oddest times, and would roll a good 6" when i put it in park. With only 3" to clear in my garage and no parking brakes i hated the old unit. Spool is so much nicer in the dirt, but this grocery getting is fucking annoying. So a new trutrack unit should fix it all.

Oh for Jonny. He is doing spring under and a frame notch. The truck originally only had 4-5" of bump travel so it was already riding in teh bumpzone of the shock at ride height. The springs were binding and wore out. So hoping the new set up works better for me.

Next up i would really like to do a simple cage next year.... just have to find a shop and save pennys.

Attachments

• 315975672_10226357328072244_6360760509467903424_n (1).jpg
    315975672_10226357328072244_6360760509467903424_n (1).jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 62
*Limited slip. trutrac aint no locker lol

wonder if the old detroit locker was just worn out. they can do funky stuff when they wear or the center pin cracks and so on. i daily with a lunch box locker in mine. sounds like a bad CV when you turn but dont bother me. thats my only issue with it.

*Limited slip. trutrac aint no locker lol

wonder if the old detroit locker was just worn out. they can do funky stuff when they wear or the center pin cracks and so on. i daily with a lunch box locker in mine. sounds like a bad CV when you turn but dont bother me. thats my only issue with it.
Agreed... I have a limit slip in the mouse right now... and it does okay ... but I can tell the difference vs my lunch box locker that was in there for years. It would track way better with locker. I just need to man up and put in a spool.

Adam you'll be fine at the mall with true trac.

Are you coming out for Thanksgiving or what!!11?

anyone have experience with a trutrack? the driveline shop here says he was pretty skeptical on them but has installed a ton and says he recommends them over a Detroit all day long. He has had issues with the detroit that mimics my thoughts as well. I trust what he says, so hoping this is money well spent. I would rather keep a spool over the old detroit but looking for something a smidge more streetable.

and if i hate the true trac, i still have the locker and spool sitting in my garage. lmao Just another rebuild next year. lol

Agreed... I have a limit slip in the mouse right now... and it does okay ... but I can tell the difference vs my lunch box locker that was in there for years. It would track way better with locker. I just need to man up and put in a spool.

Adam you'll be fine at the mall with true trac.

Are you coming out for Thanksgiving or what!!11?
Finalizing plans this weekend and will know about cuddy back. Doing some grading work on our property in ocotillo this weekend, and possibly next. Trying to do some upgrades out there and get a container and build a patio cover by the end of the year.

anyone have experience with a trutrack? the driveline shop here says he was pretty skeptical on them but has installed a ton and says he recommends them over a Detroit all day long. He has had issues with the detroit that mimics my thoughts as well. I trust what he says, so hoping this is money well spent. I would rather keep a spool over the old detroit but looking for something a smidge more streetable.

and if i hate the true trac, i still have the locker and spool sitting in my garage. lmao Just another rebuild next year. lol

trutrac is the shit for all the diesel racing guys. no clutches to wear out and the 3:1 ratio makes it fairly tight to hold traction. i would bet that for 95% of the stuff you do with that truck, it will be more than enough. its going to be situations like climbing a loose hill that has a rut in it where one tire tucks into the bed and the other droops out that the drooped tire will spin and the other wont do squat. a good run up the hill would fix that though. higher traction areas like wet dirt and trying to slide may be harder to get the ass end to come around under power than what the locker or spool would give but again, adjust your driving style a bit and its a non issue.

i still rock crawl so a rear limited slip is a big no no for me

your other option is a selectable locker. something like an ARB or even the factory ford style would be a huge benefit. Lets you have your cake and eat it too.

I'm a big fan of the Detroit locker. Had one take a shit on me and before it did it drove like crap on the road. I think that's just because something inside was bent or tweaked. After it blew up and I got the new one it's been solid for years. Doesn't do anything weird and always has traction. I've had the new locker in my truck for about 7 years now.

just fuckin weld dem spida geers. dont be dum. save the mula for the wrap you're gonna put on the PussyGetter

I'm a big fan of the Detroit locker. Had one take a shit on me and before it did it drove like crap on the road. I think that's just because something inside was bent or tweaked. After it blew up and I got the new one it's been solid for years. Doesn't do anything weird and always has traction. I've had the new locker in my truck for about 7 years now.
do you get the rolling like 4-6" when parked? Could be that mine is bad. but going to try this option and see how it goes. I really need like 4 trucks so i can have each one the way i want.

Rolling?? Why would the detroit allow it to roll?
my understanding is the cogs which are used in the detroit need to lock in, so they twist until they find the are for them to lock into to... so the truck will roll 4-6" until it locks in. That is why the trutrack with gear driven slip is suppose to be better...

I had a Spartan lunch box locker in the exploder and it rolled a good 6 inches in park compared to the factory open rear end. Now I have a Detroit locker and it is almost like factory and barely rolls in park.

my understanding is the cogs which are used in the detroit need to lock in, so they twist until they find the are for them to lock into to... so the truck will roll 4-6" until it locks in. That is why the trutrack with gear driven slip is suppose to be better...
so you are looking for better parking performance? fuck bud.....

Back