1985 k10 prerunner ideas?

I would've never thought about the 3rd member having clearance issues on the frame rail with TTB. How much concern is driveline angle with the older GM axles? seems to me it would be worth it to just go driver drop on the T-Case anyway and use a HP D60. I know I'm kind of pushing the limits of the front CV on my K5 at full droop, and that's with leaf springs and maybe 12" up front...

I am binding at full droop. That’s with the cv ground and the yoke clearanced at the axle. I have a lp Chevy 60 though. Rather than buy a fancy high angle shaft, redo the entire suspension. Lol

For a budget build like that I would find some factory 64" Silverado springs for the rear (88+) and get someone like Deaver to make springs for the front. If you can try and fit some longer springs up front and maybe add a long panhard if the truck doesn't have one from factory. Build or use some repop spring hangers to locate the rear springs since they are longer. Use a off the shelf add a leaf in the rear if it's too soft, make sure you remove the overload. Pickup some used 2.5 smooth body shocks or get cheap FOAs and learn how to take them apart and play with valving yourself. Most FOAs I've been into need cleaned & edges / holes deburred inside right out of the box. Build some simple hoops to mount them.

Bypasses are not needed.

Don't worry about fixing problems till they break or fail.

You don't need a trophy truck to go have fun.

Out of all the stuff I've used in the desert and Glamis, the most fun was a regular cab shortbed 4 cylinder Ranger with 32" Prolite take offs.

Also, the C10 steering box swap with crossover steering is a great idea.

If you have having driveshaft issues up front find a way to move the transfer case back eventually or just limit droop. 8" of travel with good shock valving is better than most would think.

I am binding at full droop. That’s with the cv ground and the yoke clearanced at the axle. I have a lp Chevy 60 though. Rather than buy a fancy high angle shaft, redo the entire suspension. Lol
I started out with a stock shaft that was ground on a lot and shortly changed it out to a Tom Woods unit for peace of mind. I've never cycled the suspension with the upgraded shaft, since nothing has broke I'm assuming its fine! lol

I remember seeing Adam build that K5 on facebook groups back in the day. One of these days I'd like to get back up to Michigan with mine and check out Silver Lake, I told my buddy that lives out there that I'd come out next summer if he can get his truck back together by then.

Back