Ugly Little Truck

the bodj

So my wife doesn't care about make/models of trucks, and she just calls my trucks by descriptive names. The longbed Silverado is Big Truck, Sonoma prerunner is Little Truck, for a brief stint I had a Chevy 2500 I used as a donor for the prerunner motor swap - it was big and ugly - she named it Big Ugly Truck. It is only fitting that this is Ugly Little Truck.

I've always wanted a SAS pickup, so I was stoked when I saw this on FB Marketplace.

Here are the specs:
1992 Extra cab Deluxe, manual trans
3.0L (heads have been redone) with 210xxx miles
Warn 9000i winch
Dual Hella lights
Marlin Crawler dual transfer case
D44 front axle, chromoly shafts, CTM u joints
3 Link, King Coilovers, .375" wall tubing for links, FK heims
Trail Gear leaf springs with Bilstein shocks
ARB air lockers front and rear
Both axles geared at 5.13-ish
Dovetailed bed
Custom under bed hot water tank with waterpump for camp showers
Under bed dual battery mount and dual ammo can mount
35x12.5x15" tires
Spare tire mount folds down flat like a tailgate and license plate mount swings to still be visible.

Some extras it came with include extra axle shafts, two extra third members (4.10 gears), spare driveshaft, half doors, some extra engine parts, high lift jack, and some other stuff I'm forgetting. It hasn't been on the road in 15 years, but he started it every few months during that time. Maybe 8 months ago it wouldn't start, and I'm thinking it's a mix of bad gas, dirty fuel filter, or something simple. Overall I'm stoked. The goal is for it to eventually be my DD/forest camping rig, as long as it can tow our little pop up camper. It'll take a fair bit of work to redo some of the fab work (bumper, engine cage, sliders, C pillar cage thing...), add AC back in, replace front fenders/oem header panel, grille, headlights... but I can't wait to tear into it.

I can't thank @the_fablab_ , Bruce, Jesse, and my buddy Lucas, for bringing the trailer, and helping load and unload. It was only 3 miles away, so minimal straps were used haha.

1726685093365.jpeg
1726685416235.jpeg

1726685425088.jpeg
1726685439783.jpeg1726685447004.jpeg
1726685457969.jpeg

There goes the neighborhood! hell yea dude! looks like a proper shitbox!

Can't wait to further the raisining process with you on the trail.

Hell Yeah! It has good bones, all the right parts are there. What do you need to replace the fenders for? They're already well seasoned!
Hah! I want it to be a nicer DD. I’m even thinking about putting an unmolested bed on to get rid of the dovetail. Maybe bob it? Idk

Or go the complete opposite and bash every panel and ram every boulder without a care in the world

I just don't have it in me. My silverado passenger side is side-swiped and trashed. I still won't lean over the side of the truck with a zip up because I don't want the zipper scratching it even more. Just not in my nature.

Hah! I want it to be a nicer DD. I’m even thinking about putting an unmolested bed on to get rid of the dovetail. Maybe bob it? Idk
Definitely Bob it. I took a foot or more of my old truck. Don’t mind the welds. I was like 15 years old using flux.

Attachments

• IMG_0192.jpeg
    IMG_0192.jpeg
    922.9 KB · Views: 19
We'll see. I'll still be using it for truck stuff, so bed needs to be usable
Yeah, I wouldn’t go past the frame like did. Just up to it. Because any crawling, your going to snag/damage the bed. Stoke to see you clean it up and fix whatever the rock donkey fabricator mess up!

I hate to break it to you, but you bought a beater crawler rig. I think when you come to your senses you should just get it running, do a tune up, slowly get it road worthy, fix all the shitty fab work as you can. If you a looking for a nice daily with good paint and body, fix this thing, flip it, and buy a nicer less molested rig to start.

Yeah I fully agree. This thing will never be a polished perfect rig. If you want that get a stock truck and steal all the parts for this one or sell it and build another one.

I love forums and everyone telling each other how to build their truck haha. It won't be a show truck, but I don't want a raisin. Don't you all worry your sweet heads. I'll make it to my liking, just like the Sonoma - "It'll never work!" "You're gonna kill all the nuns!"
Sonoma? You mean that s10 you drive while listening to Creed?

Back