Smoke machine for vacuum leak

We have a couple Bosch smoke machines here at work. They are pretty pricey if you’re not investing in shop tools. Have you done the brake cleaner test yet?

if adam is coming up to the high dezert anytime soon you can borrow mine. or if you are up here anytime you are welcome to come and get it.

Saw a harber fright ad for one on IG.

Someone in the comments said they are cheaper on Amazon.

if adam is coming up to the high dezert anytime soon you can borrow mine. or if you are up here anytime you are welcome to come and get it.
i need to go up in the next couple weeks to drop some stuff off for josb, i think

I ended up just replacing my brake booster and master cylinder. Don’t hear the hiss anymore. But I think a smoke machine would still be very nice to haves

Last edited:
They are good to have if you are going to use them. I was a mechanic for 11 years so I used it all the time. Now that I’m not I use it maybe once a year, this is the one I have

Attachments

• IMG_9855.png
    IMG_9855.png
    243.1 KB · Views: 8
Spray a little brake clean next time in the area you think is leaking while the rig is running. If rpm changes, you found the issue.

Spray a little brake clean next time in the area you think is leaking while the rig is running. If rpm changes, you found the issue.
I know this trick, rpm didn’t seem to change when I sprayed it at the brake booster / master cylinder seal. But I have done this and seen results when the vacuum leak was closer to the intake manifold.

Well I said fuck it and bought a stinger smoke leak detector off Amazon. Have not used it yet but it was only $100 and seems legit. Guess I’ll play with it one day. Seems like it’s a good tool to have when or if I ever do plumbing on a project or if I ever want to use it for what it’s intended to be used for like evap system testing and other hard to figure out leaks.

Back