Rear or mid fuel cells?

Connorellisx

So this seems to be a highly debated topic and I’m curious what most people lean towards…

so how do most people feel about mid fuel cells vs rear fuel cells?

Rear mounted obviously helps with weight bias (when full) and I also see it being a safer option keeping the fuel further way from the occupants..

Cons of rear mounted is the rear weight bias can fluctuate drastically over the course of the day making the tuning of the truck unpredictable as you have less fuel. And also far less easily accessible storage by not having much of a “trunk” space

Mid mounted doesn’t have this effect in the same way because it has far less leverage to act on causing a 2% change in tuning vs an 8% change in tuning.

Also the weight bias is able to me made up but doing stainless steel rear skid plates or paneling in the rear, tools, fluids, spare driveline, jacks, can all easily be mounted in a rear “trunk” making a lot of weight up without it being fluctuating weight.

What are our general thoughts on this? Keeping in mind this isn’t a race truck, more a track hopper, Mojave trail runner etc etc. also keeping in mind this is a Jaz jeep speed 32 gallon not some 75 gallons+ cellIMG_3394.jpeg

I built my truck as a "see more" vehicle, and partly wish I went with a forward mounted tank for the storage space issue you already talked about. In terms of handling, I don't notice a difference from when it's full to empty and am happy with the handling of the weight at the rear. I have a 31 gallon tank from a K5 blazer, so about 180# of fuel. If you are linked and have enough up travel and have appropriate springs on your truck, it shouldn't be an issue running full or empty. If you are under sprung, sure, it's gonna sag substantially.

mines linked so I should have a lot of options as far as spring rates and stuff, I really do like the idea of storage space and feel it’s a massive advantage for the usability of the vehicle. I think with the smaller tanks the fuel level has to be far less noticeable

Rear tank. I’ve never noticed my truck riding differently with different amounts of fuel and it’s behind the axle. One spare on top.

I think there’s a detail a lot of people miss with the argument of “my spares and trunk weigh more than a fuel cell when it’s empty”. Be that as it may but you’re also adding MORE weight in front of the axle when the tank is there. So realistically a spare or two and tools isn’t enough in my opinion.

We ran a mid mount 30 gallon, and upgraded to a 60 gallon rear cell, and noticed a huge difference in handling having more weight in the back and liked it more for stability. We race and that would be my choice, for prerun and weekend enjoyment run biggest mid cell and utilize the rear for storage.

Rear tank. I’ve never noticed my truck riding differently with different amounts of fuel and it’s behind the axle. One spare on top.

I think there’s a detail a lot of people miss with the argument of “my spares and trunk weigh more than a fuel cell when it’s empty”. Be that as it may but you’re also adding MORE weight in front of the axle when the tank is there. So realistically a spare or two and tools isn’t enough in my opinion.
I agree with you a ton but with a 32 gallon I’m not sure it’s gonna make a massive difference. I felt MAYBE I could do the trunk section “insert” or whatever made out of stainless instead of aluminum like Izzy does and it could create a ton of weight behind the axle to improve the handling while keeping the storage. But now I’m sorta adding useless weight to the truck for the sake of handling and I don’t like that.

We ran a mid mount 30 gallon, and upgraded to a 60 gallon rear cell, and noticed a huge difference in handling having more weight in the back and liked it more for stability. We race and that would be my choice, for prerun and weekend enjoyment run biggest mid cell and utilize the rear for storage.
I’m definitely feeling like I want to lean that way for the basic practicality of the truck and having a massive area to store chairs, drinks, food etc, but then I’m worried that I’ve put all this time and money to shoot myself in the foot with how it handles in the end.

Rear 32 gallon cell here. It does bottom out a little easier when full of fuel in the big g-outs but for the most part I can’t tell how much fuel is in the truck while driving.
I feel either setup can be made to work pretty well but I’d push more for a rear cell vs mid. All comes down to pros and cons vs yours needs.
We recently built a truck with a 100 gallon rear cell, works fantastic but does blue my mind having that much liquid weight in the very back.

I definitely think the big 100 gallon cells are gonna have a ton more variation compared to a 32 gallon!
Rear 32 gallon cell here. It does bottom out a little easier when full of fuel in the big g-outs but for the most part I can’t tell how much fuel is in the truck while driving.
I feel either setup can be made to work pretty well but I’d push more for a rear cell vs mid. All comes down to pros and cons vs yours needs.
We recently built a truck with a 100 gallon rear cell, works fantastic but does blue my mind having that much liquid weight in the very back.
I definitely see 100 gallon cells making a massive difference! I think even with the 32 gallon in the back it’s still gonna require some extra weight like tools and jacks etc to really make it handle right

Ive always bounced the idea around to mount the fuel cell in the rear, and the spare tire (just 1 for my setup) as far forward as I could get it, even if that means finagling it between the down tubes coming off the cab. Then run some kind of storage/trunk for tools and as much gear as I could fit, with an upper area to strap a cooler (that shits going to get "SHOOK"!) and whatnot to. Not a conventional setup by any means, but I wouldnt be building a race truck either. I mean, how often are we accessing our spare tires? In all my years of doing this stuff, Ive only ever changed my tire 3 times - other than that, its always in the damn way to access other stuff (which is 99% of the time).

Ive always bounced the idea around to mount the fuel cell in the rear, and the spare tire (just 1 for my setup) as far forward as I could get it, even if that means finagling it between the down tubes coming off the cab. Then run some kind of storage/trunk for tools and as much gear as I could fit, with an upper area to strap a cooler (that shits going to get "SHOOK"!) and whatnot to. Not a conventional setup by any means, but I wouldnt be building a race truck either. I mean, how often are we accessing our spare tires? In all my years of doing this stuff, Ive only ever changed my tire 3 times - other than that, its always in the damn way to access other stuff (which is 99% of the time).
Dang! I just typed this same exact thing! lol!

On my Tacoma and most play toys I like to run mid mount cell and have a large storage trunk and carry all my spare parts, tools, etc behind axle so you get rear weight that doesn't change from full to empty tank of gas so shock tuning can be consistent for the play toys.

Now for my 68 Ford I am running rear cell since that is more dedicated "race" truck that will never be raced but is a go fast rig NOT an expedition prelander style truck.

In the same predicament on trying to decide rear or mid. But on a koh 4500 solid axle car. I like the idea of mid for rear storage as it’ll also be a trail car most the year besides a few races here and there. Plan is to run a 32 gallon Jaz jeepspeed cell.

those who have had both, I’m assuming the mid cells sit higher than than the rear ones. Do you feel a difference in handling because of the weight up higher?

Can people who have a rear or mid cell post pictures just to help visualize.

For a ranger the 30 gallon mid cell's bottom sat above the frame and top was at the rear window to clear the upper links. The 60 gallon rear cell sits in the middle of the frame usually for rear angle departure clearance.

Attachments

• IMG955764.jpg
    IMG955764.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 14480.jpeg
    14480.jpeg
    476.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Yeah standard 32 gal 18-5/8" deep fuel cell will sit on frame and be just below back window so if running a linked truck cell interferes with upper links to limit some up travel or cell goes above bottom of the window. I ran a fuel safe pro truck fuel cell wedge shaped to clear upper links at full bump to get max up travel with tires almost hitting top of bedside.

I definitely think the big 100 gallon cells are gonna have a ton more variation compared to a 32 gallon!

I definitely see 100 gallon cells making a massive difference! I think even with the 32 gallon in the back it’s still gonna require some extra weight like tools and jacks etc to really make it handle right

You should have those things back there regardless of rear or mid cell

I put my big cooler at the front of the bed, since I only go into it at nights for dinner. I have a smaller cooler inside that I keep frozen water bottles and sandwiches. Keeps everything from getting shook :) The toolboxes come out completely, which is nice for if I ever need to help fix someone else's truck. Spare removal is easy and gives quick access for fuel pump.
Now for my 68 Ford I am running rear cell since that is more dedicated "race" truck that will never be raced but is a go fast rig NOT an expedition prelander style truck.

You didn't need to bring up this truck, since it'll never be done.

Attachments

• 1727883392908.jpeg
    1727883392908.jpeg
    218.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 1727883383721.jpeg
    1727883383721.jpeg
    355.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 1727883304432.jpeg
    1727883304432.jpeg
    331.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 1727883280485.jpeg
    1727883280485.jpeg
    353.8 KB · Views: 20
IMG_3395.jpeg
Put the cradle in the back to get a rough idea how much room the cell would take up. Definitely would have a little bit of space left over on the sides and behind it for storage still

Attachments

• IMG_3405.jpeg
    IMG_3405.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
For a play truck / family runner, I’d go mid mount. The trunk space would be more valuable than the truck handling better. You can spend time tuning the shocks and springs to make it work great, certainly far better than leaf springs ever could. I have my tool boxes inside my truck so they are secured when parked and it’s a pain in the ass to pull them out when my Ford friends need some tools. I’d much rather have my cab available for clean shit (pillows, clothes, kid toys, etc.) and have tools, ice chest, spare parts, etc. at the rear of the truck.

Sincerely,
A leaf sprung dude who knows nothing about links.

For a play truck / family runner, I’d go mid mount. The trunk space would be more valuable than the truck handling better. You can spend time tuning the shocks and springs to make it work great, certainly far better than leaf springs ever could. I have my tool boxes inside my truck so they are secured when parked and it’s a pain in the ass to pull them out when my Ford friends need some tools. I’d much rather have my cab available for clean shit (pillows, clothes, kid toys, etc.) and have tools, ice chest, spare parts, etc. at the rear of the truck.

Sincerely,
A leaf sprung dude who knows nothing about links.
I feel like I’m leaning that way, I’ve really liked the idea of having a fully sealed trunk, carpet or line x inside of it for whatever I want to put inside of it

Back