Need some 4.0 help

Bunger

Picked up a 94' 4x4 single cab ranger IMG_0884.jpegwith the 4.0/a4ld combo. Great truck, 65k original miles. Only two issues I have is that 1. After sitting all day or all night the initial crank is about 3 times as long to start as it is when it's warm. I initially thought fuel pressure. 35psi with the key on 30 while idling. Pressure varies with throttle which leads me to guess the regulator is working. It won't hold that pressure over night but will for about 4-5 hours. Even if I cycle the key 3-4 times before starting it doesn't help. Don't think it's ever had plugs or wires replaced so I will be doing that but not convinced that's the problem.

2. The shift from 1-2 leaving a light or stop sign is pretty hard. Doesn't matter if I'm in drive or OD. If I standon the skinny pedal from a dog it shifts smooth but normal driving it's pretty stout. Check the governor vacuum line at the manifold I didn't seeany sign of atf in it. All other gears shift smooth. Any ideas?

for the cold start issue try changing the temp sensor with the two wires on it. that one is for the computer

If it's not holding a fuel prime, maybe leaky injector(s)? No raw fuel smell on top of the motor/ leaking fuel from injector o rings, etc.? It's pretty hard to trigger an OBD1 ranger's CEL from my limited personal experience. It's gotta really be running rough/poor.

Trans stuff to me sounds like a line pressure issue to me. Did you also check for vacuum leaks when you inspected the governor? Reason I ask is if that governor is not seeing the correct vacuum it's going to shift hard. Might want to replace the governor with a known good unit just to rule out that it's not the issue, cause the next things to check could get quite costly.

If it's not holding a fuel prime, maybe leaky injector(s)? No raw fuel smell on top of the motor/ leaking fuel from injector o rings, etc.? It's pretty hard to trigger an OBD1 ranger's CEL from my limited personal experience. It's gotta really be running rough/poor.

Trans stuff to me sounds like a line pressure issue to me. Did you also check for vacuum leaks when you inspected the governor? Reason I ask is if that governor is not seeing the correct vacuum it's going to shift hard. Might want to replace the governor with a known good unit just to rule out that it's not the issue, cause the next things to check could get quite costly.
It's holding prime. Not seeing raw fuel
Anywhere. I'm going to try a governor this weekend. It has 18in.hg of vacuum at idle I don't suspect any vacuum leaks. Every other shift is smooth as butter just 1-2 is hard.

Back