Let's see those Bad Lines!

Mine wasn’t even cool. I was literally putting in low gear and “it fuck on mee” said in Mr Chan’s voice from Hang over.

Getting the F-350 stuck was more glorious-er. I was doin like 10 mph, bouncing all around, throwing baby snow roosters and then took a nose dive in to a mining cut. Tried to dig it out for several hours with a little fold up military shovel, but it just kept sinking and sinking lol.

Speaking of T-cases...
Ever have one say "fuck this" and exit the vehicle. Shane and I picked the wrong line through the Cougar Buttes playground by ourselves when the bolts sheared. Luckily I have great friends like PJ shown and @4lowlance as they came out, helped me drill out the broken bolts and brought enough "close enough" bolts to get it bolted back up and us home. That was a long day/night.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220420-104249_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20220420-104249_Instagram.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 22
Speaking of T-cases...
Ever have one say "fuck this" and exit the vehicle. Shane and I picked the wrong line through the Cougar Buttes playground by ourselves when the bolts sheared. Luckily I have great friends like PJ shown and @4lowlance as they came out, helped me drill out the broken bolts and brought enough "close enough" bolts to get it bolted back up and us home. That was a long day/night.
I can honestly say I've never ejected a transfer case.

I'd assume the bolts just came looser over time causing them all to sheer?

Bad line on day one of BAP this year. We still finished day one. But a bad line on day two took us out when we broke the radiator and upper wishbone, ouch. Truck is on the chopping block for some better handling characteristics before the next race.

Was water/mud a big proponent of the roll??

I think a little too much sauce was the key contributor to that oopsie. Glad you still finished the race after that!

I can honestly say I've never ejected a transfer case.

I'd assume the bolts just came looser over time causing them all to sheer?
Yeah, we went from Lazertown to Cougar Buttes after the swapmeet. Hit a few trails I hadn't done in the truck. At some part coming across the valley I picked up a vibration I couldn't pin point. So, yeah I think it came loose and then got loose enough it wasn't keyed any more. Then when I was trying to get up a ledge over in Cougar Buttes they all sheared. Luckily PJ is a cross between Rain Man and MacGyver 🤣. He was able to drill all 6 broken bolts without trashing the threads and we found out a t-25 torx bit makes a decent ez-out.

Oh, and Lance and PJ dropped what they were doing and drove from Ojai to JV with a 8:30 phone call to help me out. Turns out we had friends a few hundred yards away at sunset watching the sky light up not knowing they were there.

Was water/mud a big proponent of the roll??
Probably driver error mostly. The truck was completely uncontrollable in the mud. On the first lap we did a donut right in front of the timing loop at about 3 miles an hour. I definitely need more seat time, and to fix some handling issues on the truck.

Yeah, we went from Lazertown to Cougar Buttes after the swapmeet. Hit a few trails I hadn't done in the truck. At some part coming across the valley I picked up a vibration I couldn't pin point. So, yeah I think it came loose and then got loose enough it wasn't keyed any more. Then when I was trying to get up a ledge over in Cougar Buttes they all sheared. Luckily PJ is a cross between Rain Man and MacGyver 🤣. He was able to drill all 6 broken bolts without trashing the threads and we found out a t-25 torx bit makes a decent ez-out.

Oh, and Lance and PJ dropped what they were doing and drove from Ojai to JV with a 8:30 phone call to help me out. Turns out we had friends a few hundred yards away at sunset watching the sky light up not knowing they were there.
I recommend draining it and checking for metal. I had the bolts come loose on the T-case of my f-350. It made the planetaries go cockeyed and eventually the shift collar wore through the shift fork and popped into neutral. I had to rebuild the case and replace the shift fork.

This could have gone bad. Shane went a little wide on the corner and off the trail edge. Luckily he was going slowish and stopped immediately.
We had to have the JK in front of us come back and winch my front at a high angle to get the front back up on the trail. I had tried with both lockers while we were waiting for them to turn around, but it was way too soft and I am way too heavy.
20220424_101423.jpg

I recommend draining it and checking for metal. I had the bolts come loose on the T-case of my f-350. It made the planetaries go cockeyed and eventually the shift collar wore through the shift fork and popped into neutral. I had to rebuild the case and replace the shift fork.
This was on a fairly fresh rebuild from the front wheel drive incident. All new bearings, seals, chain, glides, and shift fork. It has a few thousand off road miles on it now and many more street miles. I will probably do a fluid change this summer either way as it is fairly easy. I do need to pull axles and do front ujoints as the driver is getting noisy in 4wd. not looking forward to that project.

This could have gone bad. Shane went a little wide on the corner and off the trail edge. Luckily he was going slowish and stopped immediately.
We had to have the JK in front of us come back and winch my front at a high angle to get the front back up on the trail. I had tried with both lockers while we were waiting for them to turn around, but it was way too soft and I am way too heavy.
View attachment 1293

I know it doesn't look to crazy in the picture for most but I bet you guys puckered up really good!

I know it doesn't look to crazy in the picture for most but I bet you guys puckered up really good!
Yeah, I was feet pressed to the floor and grabbing the door pull/arm rest as I felt it give way and start to slide. It wasn't much more fun in the drivers seat trying to correct it but at least I had the wheel to hold on to and I was in control.

Back