KOH 2023

@Giant Geoff Do you guys typically have a run planned or spots you guys like to spectate?

Looks like the group is planning on camping up at Turkey Claw and trying to give everyone a heads up on what they can expect!

I'd like to try an make it. I'll probably head up Friday morning and come home Saturday (just tent camping with my truck). I have no desire to go into the vendor area, but I want to see the mayhem at night.

Usually camp at Johnson Valley (Soggy Dry Lake). Arrive Friday night, and stay till sunday mid-day. Either Sat or Sun go to KOH.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221215-082456_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20221215-082456_Maps.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot_20221216-132828_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221216-132828_Gallery.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 16
@Giant Geoff Do you guys typically have a run planned or spots you guys like to spectate?

Looks like the group is planning on camping up at Turkey Claw and trying to give everyone a heads up on what they can expect!
We run all over the place viewing from different race spots. It's a ton of fun! Camping by Turkey Claw has us close to the desert outlet, close to the qualifying loop and night runs to Chocolate, we go wide out the lakebed and miss all the traffic by Hammer Town. 34.397986, -116.532072

Attachments

• 17883856_1884681078474259_3490533930470477724_n.jpg
    17883856_1884681078474259_3490533930470477724_n.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4714.jpg
    IMG_4714.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 29
  • Inkedmap_LI.jpg
    Inkedmap_LI.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 36
I've been to almost every KOH, never paid a cent to camp, spectate racing, and watch the nightly redneck activities.

I've always camped off Bessimer, north of the lakebed up the hill a bit, there is a nice little came site tucked close to a mountain to shield the camp from wind. It's only 20 minutes to Boone in a prerunner, so close enough to the shit show if you want to partake in some visual shenanigans, but far away that you don't have to deal with the dust bowl and random idiots while at camp.

I've been to almost every KOH, never paid a cent to camp, spectate racing, and watch the nightly redneck activities.

I've always camped off Bessimer, north of the lakebed up the hill a bit, there is a nice little came site tucked close to a mountain to shield the camp from wind. It's only 20 minutes to Boone in a prerunner, so close enough to the shit show if you want to partake in some visual shenanigans, but far away that you don't have to deal with the dust bowl and random idiots while at camp.
Totally hear that and can appreciate your point of view...

At the same time why not support the event efforts.
The time and energy, costs to bring in all the bathrooms, fencing, safety personnel, Insurance permits, etc

In order to keep BLM happy. Spectators are now "participants"

The race is authorized by a BLM Special Recreation Permit and the temporary closure is necessary to facilitate public safety and provide an enhanced recreation experience for event participants and spectators.

The BLM has approved a five-year public land closure for up to 10 days a year through 2027. Registered race spectators, participants, and race officials are exempt from the closure. Approximately 81,000 acres of the Johnson Valley OHV Recreation Area will be temporarily closed to public use and approximately 46,000 acres will be available for public use during the event.

“The safety of spectators and participants is our top priority. The public is reminded to recreate responsibly and cooperate with race officials and local law enforcement officers to stay safe and ensure the success of the off-road races,”

Free is a much better rate... but if it keeps the event rolling in these clown world times...

I'm sure they are going to have a hard time policing that much open land and checking everyone's passes but why not just support the event and pay the fee?

Last edited:
We run all over the place viewing from different race spots. It's a ton of fun! Camping by Turkey Claw has us close to the desert outlet, close to the qualifying loop and night runs to Chocolate, we go wide out the lakebed and miss all the traffic by Hammer Town. 34.397986, -116.532072

Okay near Turkey Claw it is!

34.397986, -116.532072

We are chatting with the Gambler 500 guys about putting together a clean up effort!

make sure to get your tickets and camping pass now ...as prices are going to go up!

Stoked!

Just looked at where turkey claw is at. I'm assuming that puts you a little bit away from the madness, but pretty close to everything as well?
It will be packed full past Turkey Claw exit. It is all madness, just varying degrees. Being out there does get you mostly away from the Lakebed talc dustbowl and mud pits should it rain.

Last year Sublime played Wednesday night and Pennywise played Saturday plus some opening bands. I don't know if I can make it this year as of right now. If I was going I would go out the Desert race weekend, even if only for the day to drop my trailer where I wanted it. It was packed by Wednesday last year and it would be tough to get a group spot at that point.

Yeah I was debating on heading out the weekend before to drop off my RV to try and reserve our space. Just depends on what day I'll be out there for work.

What dates are you guys talking? I was planning on being there either Feb 3/4 or 4/5

No trailer for me, just my truck.

Thinking maybe doing day trip Sunday 5th or maybe an over-nighter Saturday afternoon - Sunday to drop the RV off and then return Wednesday 8th- Sunday 12th

Headed out for the desert race weekend Feb 3-6. I’m also of fan of camping near Turkey Claw. I try to stay away from the lake bed.

I’ll be in this collection of parts. Say hi if you see me, I’ll probably be going slow 4E8D83EE-10E2-44A8-B824-4DB542CBD220.jpeg

Price goes up at midnight today!
I go out there for 3 days though the weekend, leave all my stuff and come back the next weekend.

Attachments

• 425B141A-9F42-4184-A01C-D07A25484282.png
    425B141A-9F42-4184-A01C-D07A25484282.png
    705.3 KB · Views: 15
I'll be out spectating with my brother for the desert races near cougar buttes so the 4th and 5th.

Back