Info behind my Toyota pick up

Wyatt_cato

What’s going on everyone, recently picked up this 1993 Toyota pick up 2wd and was hoping if anyone on here might know the history behind it like who the original builder/owner was. Was also wondering if anyone could recognize the front and rear kit. The front looks like an old total chaos but not certain and I’ve got no idea who made the rear shackles. Any information on the truck helps thank you!!

Attachments

• 4F46CE89-42A1-475C-89D2-A54063D3072F.jpeg
    4F46CE89-42A1-475C-89D2-A54063D3072F.jpeg
    352.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 8FCDC75A-8384-4C05-9031-AC8C1BAF497A.jpeg
    8FCDC75A-8384-4C05-9031-AC8C1BAF497A.jpeg
    483.9 KB · Views: 86
  • 918411E7-0332-461C-88AD-A73D59B332A6.jpeg
    918411E7-0332-461C-88AD-A73D59B332A6.jpeg
    251.1 KB · Views: 86
  • D7CB038E-01FA-4003-B24D-D11E40D5E8C4.jpeg
    D7CB038E-01FA-4003-B24D-D11E40D5E8C4.jpeg
    529.5 KB · Views: 79
  • C09B3199-9111-4FB5-9718-DF623D7182EE.jpeg
    C09B3199-9111-4FB5-9718-DF623D7182EE.jpeg
    442.5 KB · Views: 75
Shackles look like they’re from Giant.

Stoked to see a pickup being built! I feel like it’s been a while since I’ve seen one

Front end definitely isnt an old TC kit. The arms look like ESB arms, but its been a long time since Ive seen an ESB kit and I dont remember what/how they did the rear lower arm mount bracing/mounts/whatever you want to call it.

Im with @the bodj on the shackles, they look like Giants.

Badass little truck, lets see some more pics of it!

That definitely looks like an ESB kit. See the photos below.

ESB Lower.jpg

ESB.jpg

Some general things worth addressing as time allows:
  • Make sure that the front lower arm bushing is urethane and that you grind the teeth off of the sleeve. If it's still rubber and the teeth aren't ground down, it will eventually chew into the lower arm. I would also swap the bolt out, which I believe is an M19.
  • Ditch that all-thread rod in the spindles for a single grade 8 bolt with matching nuts. They are pricey - $30 each the last time I bought one 15 years ago.
  • Keep an eye on the steering and wheel bearings. The idler arms are not fans of long travel and the outer wheel bearings are tiny. When possible, open your wallet for 4wd spindles and upgraded steering.
  • Do a full tear down and prep. This will improve your chances of catching an issue in your garage instead of on the trail. Also, you will learn the truck so that when shit does happen in the dirt, you'll be more prepared to fix it.

Last edited:
That definitely looks like an ESB kit. See the photos below.

View attachment 14975

View attachment 14976

Some general things worth addressing as time allows:
  • Make sure that the front lower arm bushing is urethane and that you grind the teeth off of the sleeve. If it's still rubber and the teeth aren't ground down, it will eventually chew into the lower arm. I would also swap the bolt out, which I believe is an M19.
  • Ditch that all-thread rod in the spindles for a single grade 8 bolt with matching nuts. They are pricey - $30 each the last time I bought one 15 years ago.
  • Keep an eye on the steering and wheel bearings. The idler arms are not fans of long travel and the outer wheel bearings are tiny. When possible, open your wallet for 4wd spindles and upgraded steering.
  • Do a full tear down and prep. This will improve your chances of catching an issue in your garage instead of on the trail. Also, you will learn the truck so that when shit does happen in the dirt, you'll be more prepared to fix it.
Thanks for all the info! I am currently doing a full teardown of the front end, and thank you for the tip on the bushings I'll definitely make sure to order urethane. Again, thank you!

Front end definitely isnt an old TC kit. The arms look like ESB arms, but its been a long time since Ive seen an ESB kit and I dont remember what/how they did the rear lower arm mount bracing/mounts/whatever you want to call it.

Im with @the bodj on the shackles, they look like Giants.

Badass little truck, lets see some more pics of it!
Rebuilding the front end right now, once she's all put back together and in the dirt I'll make sure to post some pictures and videos!

Branching off on the lower arm bushing topic. I tried the TC poly bushings with my own inner sleeve to run a 3/4” bolt. They only lasted a year, the poly got very ovaled out.
Machined my own from UHMW around 4-5yrs ago and they’re still going strong.

Branching off on the lower arm bushing topic. I tried the TC poly bushings with my own inner sleeve to run a 3/4” bolt. They only lasted a year, the poly got very ovaled out.
Machined my own from UHMW around 4-5yrs ago and they’re still going strong.
Same situation over here. I machined mine from Delrin AF and they are still going strong. Sometimes they squeak, so I turn up the music in the headsets and they miraculously heal themselves!

If I’m not mistaken that’s my friends Nicks old truck. My buddy Jay installed the kit and deavers back in the day. It is an esb kit.
If I’m not mistaken that’s my friends Nicks old truck. My buddy Jay installed the kit and deavers back in the day. It is an esb kit.
Well that would make a lot of sense as the truck is still in southbay.

I wanna say this was jakes "emptyrider" or something along those lines on DR. Don't quote me. It's been years. Good Ole 562 meet days..

Edit. I dug up an old shit photo from a meet.
1252.jpg

Last edited:
Back