gps???

charlie brown

what are you running? i have been playing with the onX offroad.
question i have is can one get onX offroad on a apple play or Android car play? is it blue tooth/cast from our phone?

Last edited:
I wanted to do this same thing but never found anyone doing it to ask how well it works. 10in display would be nice, holding my home is getting old.

I've used A LOT of different GPS hardware and software... the good news is, there's lots of options ranging from free to not all that much considering what you're after. Currently, my go-to apps are OnX and Gaia. Both are great. I've used Gaia a ton, so I'm pretty familiar and proficient with it. OnX is really on the gas and adding tons of features. I'm pushing myself to learn it and like a lot of the features. I especially like that it's really geared toward off-road. My easy button is a Garmin Tread Baja... mostly plug-and-play unless you're setting up location sharing which is super overkill (and incredibly expensive) for anything other than racing.
All that said, if you want the absolute best and up to daye USA mapping, you're going to have a hard time beating Lifetime Maps. Their detail is pretty amazing!

I’ve only used onx on my phone, but I did see a guy in a sxs on a ride a while back that was using what looked like an iPad to run onx offline which was cool.

On a side note does anyone have any tips or suggestions on using a Lowrance HDS7? Even the user manual is complicated haha

On a side note does anyone have any tips or suggestions on using a Lowrance HDS7? Even the user manual is complicated haha
My tip is don't. Haha. Lowrance makes great hardware, but they're just not geared toward the recreational user... well, maybe not toward any user on land because in all the years I've spent helping desert racers, I've probably only come across two or three that knew how to use their Lowrance.... If you already own it, watch lots of videos and consider taking a class from Waypoint Nav.

Last edited:
yeah that’s the vibe I’m getting from the couple people I’ve talked to about the lowrance gps’s. I’ll check out some videos and see if that helps.

thanks for all the updated info. tech changes so fast. i am going to get a 10" screen radio with android/apple play for my van and test it out. not sure how good it would hold up in my ranger so the surface pro will be used or a cheaper tablet.

thanks for all the updated info. tech changes so fast. i am going to get a 10" screen radio with android/apple play for my van and test it out. not sure how good it would hold up in my ranger so the surface pro will be used or a cheaper tablet.
Surface Pro is a decent piece of equipment. I do most of my work on a Surface Pro 7 (I’m about due for a new one) and an iPad Pro… can do a boatload of work between the two and they pack super small…. I haven’t used the SP much for navigation other than at my desk, connected to two monitors, but it does a great job at that….

A year or two ago, I was looking for something to run Gaia on for route planning and a backup maps. Looked into the sp, and it wasn't able to download offline maps. I ended up getting a tablet instead.

What's great about Gaia and onx though is the syncing feature across devices. I do all my mapping on a computer then load it to the phone, tablet, and Garmin. Android Auto even has Gaia support on head units now.

OnX does the same thing... Lots of good features in apps these days

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I NEED HELPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just bought a brand new 10th gen iPad, WIFI only, i did use MotionX on my previous iPad (that took a shit cause it was a refurbished Amazon PoS) but i also had started using the OnX app and i liked it, for the rare times id use it.

so i downloaded the app on the new iPad, went out with the buggy and Brogans quad yesterday and tried to use it but.... IT WOULDNT FUCKING FOLLOW ME ANYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!! it pulled up a fairly close location that i was at, so i figured it'd just take a minute to locate.
went on a ride THINKING it was recording it......... only to find out it didn't record anything.
and i was in a fairly good reception spot, running mobile hotspot off my phone.
screamed and cursed for a while
said fuck it, ill look into it on the way home
couldn't figure it out on the way home
eventually just restarted it and tried again on the way to OTF this morning, it did work. recorded my track. but while the app was recording...... it wasn't tracking any speed!
what the fuck!

i mean, it showed me the average when i ended the track, but didn't show me my speed WHILE i was driving (which i NEED to work in the ranger)........

now, im not an apple guy and i don't know barely anything with the software/how to change things/what setting are what blabhblahblah. i am fairly good with computers and Androids. i THINK I have everything turned on that needs to be

Last edited:
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I NEED HELPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just bought a brand new 10th gen iPad, WIFI only, i did use............wtf was that app?? fuck. it might come back to me, but i used another app on my previous iPad (that took a shit cause it was a refurbished Amazon PoS) but i also had started using the OnX app and i liked it, for the rare times id use it.

so i downloaded the app on the new iPad, went out with the buggy and Brogans quad yesterday and tried to use it but.... IT WOULDNT FUCKING FOLLOW ME ANYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!! it pulled up a fairly close location that i was at, so i figured it'd just take a minute to locate.
went on a ride THINKING it was recording it......... only to find out it didn't record anything.
and i was in a fairly good reception spot, running mobile hotspot off my phone.
screamed and cursed for a while
said fuck it, ill look into it on the way home
couldn't figure it out on the way home
eventually just restarted it and tried again on the way to OTF this morning, it did work. recorded my track. but while the app was recording...... it wasn't tracking any speed!
what the fuck!

i mean, it showed me the average when i ended the track, but didn't show me my speed WHILE i was driving (which i NEED to work in the ranger)........

now, im not an apple guy and i don't know barely anything with the software/how to change things/what setting are what blabhblahblah. i am fairly good with computers and Androids. i THINK I have everything turned on that needs to be
sounds like you need one of these, I believe a lot of apple dont have an internal gps

motherfudger.

fudge
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
;wealkklwearggEAW

It looks like i will need an external fucking antenna. fuckshti!

i thought i researched everything and picked out the perfect ipad for my Aunt to buy me for Christmas! fuckshit!
ughgheigwhoe4jhjlkw4eajuwge4uhgwe3hggghwegag4343e4h4h4h4h4h4h4h4h4h4h4h4h4h4h4h4h4h4h4h4h4h

"
NOTE!
WiFi-only iPad models (ones without cellular network capability) do NOT have a built-in GPS. Your only option if you have a wi-fi only iPad is to use an external Bluetooth GPS receiver.
Note also, that WiFi-only iPads do NOT have a compass sensor built into them.
"

Back