Garage Mishaps AKA "OOPS"

~september 2020.
I lived by myself then and that freaked me out for other possible cases where I don't have my phone on me and something happens where I get trapped by who knows what stupid mistake.

i broke my stupid thumb because I'm a stupid moron.
was using a transmission jack on my back and had my free hand too close to a pinch point without paying attention to it. when i went to lower the jack instead of just a little i ended up letting it down on full release. caught my thumb in the glove in between the frame and the arms of the jack.

thought for sure i lost my thumb, but luckily just broke the last digit. drove myself to the ER and cursed myself for being a dumbass.
that was always my worse nightmare.

When I first switched from spring over to spring under axle setup I had the wrong ride height and needed to add a leaf to the pack. Never working on a spring under setup before and used to supporting the truck by the axle, I zipped off the u bolts without the truck being supported by anything. Truck dropped down and dropped onto the leafs. Barely got limbs out of the way in time.

Broke the windshield maneuvering tubes around the cab for the roll cage. Was a few weeks away from having my buddy that owns a glass shop come pull the windshield anyways to help do finish welding. Luckily had glass coverage and filed a claim for the windshield replacement and had them replace it after I got all the welding done.

Most recent was getting a metal shard stuck in my eye. Was wearing proper eye protection but something got around it. After a few days of trying to flush it out the wife made me an appointment to get it checked out. Doc spent about 0.5sec with the magnifying glass and said yep there it is. Numbed the eye and tweezed that sucker out. Strange feeling for sure but felt amazing once that piece was out.

Sure there’s a lot more garage mishaps but that’s a good start.

When I first switched from spring over to spring under axle setup I had the wrong ride height and needed to add a leaf to the pack. Never working on a spring under setup before and used to supporting the truck by the axle, I zipped off the u bolts without the truck being supported by anything. Truck dropped down and dropped onto the leafs. Barely got limbs out of the way in time.

Broke the windshield maneuvering tubes around the cab for the roll cage. Was a few weeks away from having my buddy that owns a glass shop come pull the windshield anyways to help do finish welding. Luckily had glass coverage and filed a claim for the windshield replacement and had them replace it after I got all the welding done.

Most recent was getting a metal shard stuck in my eye. Was wearing proper eye protection but something got around it. After a few days of trying to flush it out the wife made me an appointment to get it checked out. Doc spent about 0.5sec with the magnifying glass and said yep there it is. Numbed the eye and tweezed that sucker out. Strange feeling for sure but felt amazing once that piece was out.

Sure there’s a lot more garage mishaps but that’s a good start.
Had metal in my eye when I was 17 I think... Doc numbed the eye, showed me the needle... said if you don't want this stuck in your eye, don't move. He was able to just kind of scrap it off I guess. I still don't wear eye protection as much as I should though... I do try and keep glasses at ever work station to help me remember.

in all the years of working on trucks i finally got metal in my eye about 4 years ago. I have probably only worn eye protection 3 times in almost 20 years. Walmart was the only place open on Friday afternoon at 5 pm. I thought for sure i was going to come home blind. She swabbed a qtip across my eye and that pulled the metal out. Easy peazy.

I get bits of angle grinder dust in my eyes more than metal. If it's metal, usually a strong magnet works to pull it out. But I had a piece of angle grinder chip off and scratch my eye. They numbed it and put a contact lens on my eye with a nipple on it that they used to flush it with saline for 15 mins. That was the most uncomfortable experience I've ever had. I hate putting drops in my eyes, let alone them being flushed without being able to blink for that long. Felt like water torture.

Everybody who's ever worked on a vehicle with grinder seems to have a metal in eye story. Iv been to urgent care twice for it, both times they numbed it up and used a blade of some sort to scrape it out. The first time it happened it was a Friday before a race weekend in Ridgecrest I was prepping my truck to do a little prerunning that night before the race with a friend racing in class 2000. Started to feel something wrong with my eye Friday night driving to Ridgecrest. Spend that who weekend in misery because of that microscopic piece of metal. Being young and dumb there was no way in hell I was going to leave a race to go take care of some eye problem, I'm a man I can tough it out....... right.

Side note the Optometrist working on my eye told me if it ever happens again to get to a sink and start flushing it out ASAP. He said the eye can heal over foreign debris within as soon as 7 min making it very hard to flush out then you have to resort to Q-tips ect which work good.

Everybody who's ever worked on a vehicle with grinder seems to have a metal in eye story. Iv been to urgent care twice for it, both times they numbed it up and used a blade of some sort to scrape it out. The first time it happened it was a Friday before a race weekend in Ridgecrest I was prepping my truck to do a little prerunning that night before the race with a friend racing in class 2000. Started to feel something wrong with my eye Friday night driving to Ridgecrest. Spend that who weekend in misery because of that microscopic piece of metal. Being young and dumb there was no way in hell I was going to leave a race to go take care of some eye problem, I'm a man I can tough it out....... right.

Side note the Optometrist working on my eye told me if it ever happens again to get to a sink and start flushing it out ASAP. He said the eye can heal over foreign debris within as soon as 7 min making it very hard to flush out then you have to resort to Q-tips ect which work good.

Optometrists would probably be horrified if they found out, but I keep an old neodymium hard drive magnet stuck to the hinge of my bathroom cabinet for just this purpose. As soon as I realize I've got metal in there, I just hit the bathroom, pry the lid open, and the magnet snags the shaving every time (assuming steel).

Edit: One of these. Works great. 7krCW.jpg

These are my go-to. Snag them from work and they work great keeping sawdust, grinder dust, metal shavings, monkey pox, etc out of my eyes. Only drawback is the foam gets sweat soaked on hot days but is easily wrung out.

These are my go-to. Snag them from work and they work great keeping sawdust, grinder dust, metal shavings, monkey pox, etc out of my eyes. Only drawback is the foam gets sweat soaked on hot days but is easily wrung out.

Do they fog up? I use these

And the side wings don't work 100%

offered to help change my brother-in-law's rear drum brakes on his 2007 Sentra.

The old "no good deed goes unpunished"
turned a 30 min job into a solid 4hr
52434553282_62298c8747_b.jpg

That little dime sized access hole was not cutting it to move the seized tensioner fork.

This is actually the other side but you can see the little gear that was what was not letting the shoes compress.
52435511440_dee47e6ce4_b.jpg

I've got some free used 2007 Sentra drums and rotors in my trash if anyone needs them...
52435587498_60068bae11_b.jpg

Good times!

<3 embrace the suck. #@$%^&

Tears of joy when I threw those fucking drums in the trash and pull this pile out of the garage!

Thanks for listening 🤡🤡🤡🤡

i saw your post and was thinking. what in the actual fuck. who cuts a hole in a drum. lol This is the #1 reason i dont help others with their vehicles. #2 is because i am a dick

i saw your post and was thinking. what in the actual fuck. who cuts a hole in a drum. lol This is the #1 reason i dont help others with their vehicles. #2 is because i am a dick
oh yea fucking inbox was filled with a bunch of keyboard commandos chirping me.

"you know there is an access hole right"
"what the fuck are you doing"
"check the backing plate access hole"

sometimes things go south. and you gotta fire up a cut-off wheel....

Welcome to the shit show. 🧑‍🍳

i had to cut a hole in the drum like that on my wifes old focus when we were like 19. super fun lol.

Got careless w the angle grinder the other day. It was just gonna be a quick clean up w a flappy. No gloves or face shield "LIKE A DUMB FUCK".
Just had my cheater glasses on.
Flappy got caught in between two sections of frame and was ripped outta my hands. Shredded the flap disc, with pieces flying all over, and the grinder landed on my chest, still running. Flicked it off my chest and unplugged it all in the same motion.
Luckily, I found out after the incident, the arbor broke when it happened, so it was just spinning inside the housing when it landed on my chest or I might still be in the hospital.
Fortunately I just sustained some cuts, scratches, and and a little fiberglass from the disc embedded in my arm.
SMDH.....
Felt like an episode of jack ass.

Got careless w the angle grinder the other day. It was just gonna be a quick clean up w a flappy. No gloves or face shield "LIKE A DUMB FUCK".
Just had my cheater glasses on.
Flappy got caught in between two sections of frame and was ripped outta my hands. Shredded the flap disc, with pieces flying all over, and the grinder landed on my chest, still running. Flicked it off my chest and unplugged it all in the same motion.
Luckily, I found out after the incident, the arbor broke when it happened, so it was just spinning inside the housing when it landed on my chest or I might still be in the hospital.
Fortunately I just sustained some cuts, scratches, and and a little fiberglass from the disc embedded in my arm.
SMDH.....
Felt like an episode of jack ass.
This is why you film everything! haha.

On a serious note... It is crazy how fast shit like this happens. I'm guessing this was all of 5 seconds? You'll probably remember it for the rest of your life.

Back