Garage Mishaps AKA "OOPS"

This is why you film everything! haha.

On a serious note... It is crazy how fast shit like this happens. I'm guessing this was all of 5 seconds? You'll probably remember it for the rest of your life.
From the time of it getting ripped out of my hand, landing on my chest and me knocking it on to the driveway? 1.5 seconds. Maybe another second and a half to gather up the a/c and unplug it. Felt like the blink of an eye, 10k rpms happens quick.....

From the time of it getting ripped out of my hand, landing on my chest and me knocking it on to the driveway? 1.5 seconds. Maybe another second and a half to gather up the a/c and unplug it. Felt like the blink of an eye, 10k rpms happens quick.....
I personally like using lower powered tools for this reason haha.

I was at @85Yota shop a while back when it was still in Phoenix and I was trying to use his grinder with one hand. She had too much torque for my key board warrior hands.

Guess I'll share one of my favorite shop screw ups, I'll take it all the way back to high school auto shop for this one...

One of the math teachers donated a car to the shop that didn't run, it was like a mid 90s Buick or something ugly like that. So me and my buddy start screwing with it, had it running off a jump box and ether and it didn't sound hurt.... probably just needed a fuel pump really.

But that wasn't enough, we wanted to see it move on its own power. So we rig up a water bottle with some gas in it, and a fuel line out of the cap with a small carburetor jet clamped in it. Stuffed the hose in the intake and fired it up, it honestly idled pretty good! We thought we were the Einstein's of the auto shop until I cracked the throttle and it backfired

Now the intake was on fire...

My buddy then grabs the bottle and flings it out of the intake and across the shop. Now the intake, the car, and the shop are on fire.

We quickly put the fire out in the car by beating on it with our hats or something like that, and I started stomping on the trail of fire leading up to the water bottle with gas in it putting all of it out with the exception of the water bottle.

So what does my dumb ass do? Stomp on the water bottle that is still half full of gas and burning. Once again the shop is on fire... and now, so am I.

By this time our auto shop instructor comes over, grabs a fire extinguisher that was about 5 feet away and puts out me and the shop within a couple seconds. He proceeds to call us a bunch of dumb fucks and to get it cleaned up before our next class.

We were stupid kids... Lessons were learned, nobody got hurt, no investigations, just a quick insult and a make it right again. Simpler times!

Jesus Christ, that's Jason Borne...
One of my finer moments of the dual case install got a little complacent and didn't put the strap around the trans on the transmission jack.... Was one of those I wasn't going to drop in until I was all set and ready and then all of a sudden it was happening. I was well out of the way from it actually falling on me... still pretty stupid... live and learn eh. 🤡 someone left a comment on the gram "out is out" haha
52989649599_3835fc0e4b_b.jpg

The following weekend I was buttoning up the install and was using a 3/8 ratchet and a 12mm directly overhead...hands were greasy from dealing with the oil-grime-soaked slave cylinder. Fumbled it right into the eyebrow. 🤡🤡 felt like a got punched in the face and had a bit of a black eye for a week or so haha. Good times.

53002665412_5ac26df63e_b.jpg

53003750648_706387f6d4_b.jpg

I know a real face for radio. 👹
53003635625_dce2b269d0_b.jpg

Every manual transmission and/or transfer case I've done I feel like I've dropped off the jack at some point (usually much lower to the ground though). I feel like there is no good way to drop one when you are working off the ground. Hell last time I pulled the transmission out of my old C10 I opted to pull the seat and carpet (transmission tunnel bolts in) and use a cherry picker through the door...

Yeah manual transmissions don't have a good flat spot for jack to sit against. I've welded and made metal to bolt to trans jack to keep that from happening. Especially when doing the clutch on my mega cab diesel.

Back