Feasibility of a manual swap in a 2wd 3rd gen 4runner?

Ipt is expensive but are top notch from what I have heard but I am not sure that they do rebuilds.

Sean

I did a Manual swap on a 1997 4runner and it was amazingly straight forward. The key is to make sure you get the wiring harness and computer from the same exact year. that way you don't have to do some weird emulations to your wiring. the 4runner dash comes out super easy and the wiring harness behind the dash really easy to deal with. the slave cylinder mounts should already be marked on your firewall.

Sounds like swapping the entire engine harness and ecu would be the best thing to do if they’re keeping the parts truck running. Important to note if the donor and / or the original trucks are distributor trucks or not as that might change things. More familiar with Tacomas so not 100% on when that change came or if no 4Runners were distributor trucks.

Sounds like swapping the entire engine harness and ecu would be the best thing to do if they’re keeping the parts truck running. Important to note if the donor and / or the original trucks are distributor trucks or not as that might change things. More familiar with Tacomas so not 100% on when that change came or if no 4Runners were distributor trucks.
3rz had the distributor and other changes at the same time I believe.

3rz had the distributor and other changes at the same time I believe.
If that is the case, here’s the model year updates for the ignition.

69C925CD-FBC5-422C-90FF-545EA8B3C9F6.jpeg

Good info on the a340 here - he mentioned that 4cyl vs 6 cyl transmissions may have different amount of clutch packs, haven’t heard if that’s the case on 4Runners though.

Also I reached out to Yota1 asking in an email if they’ll do a core swap and send out a trans but haven’t heard back yet. May call in a day or two if I don’t hear back. I’d want a place that’s local to rebuild it more since delays and cost will increase for non local spots, but never hurts to ask.

Good info on the a340 here - he mentioned that 4cyl vs 6 cyl transmissions may have different amount of clutch packs, haven’t heard if that’s the case on 4Runners though.

I’m pretty sure that difference is only in a340es in 2nd gen Tacomas because every trans shop and Toyota guy I’ve talked to says the a340 transmissions behind the 3rz/5vz and older motors are the same transmissions sharing changes with each year. A 97 3rz 2wd trans=97 5vz 2wd trans for example besides the pan having a dipstick on different sides and a different bellhousing

Back