Feasibility of a manual swap in a 2wd 3rd gen 4runner?

Hansoloo

I am contemplating doing a manual swap on my 97 2wd 3rd gen 4runner from the stock auto (a340e I believe) to a w59 which is the stock manual trans behind the 3RZ. I have a buddy who has a complete parts car with a blown motor so I wouldn't have to hunt around for all the parts. Is it worth it to do the swap? My 4runner has already gone through a few of the stock autos so I guess what I'm asking is will the manual hold up to more abuse than the stock one? I also have found a rebuild kit designed to work for up to 500hp as well as a manual transmission controller which is what I was originally going to go with. I should add that I plan on a turbo setup eventually, probably way farther in the future than I would like.

Trans controller:
http://www.radesignsproducts.com/rail-controller.html

Rebuild kit:

There has to be something setup improperly with your truck to destroy as many transmissions as you and AJ have, especially when compared to the number of built 4Runners that have issue free transmissions.

There has to be something setup improperly with your truck to destroy as many transmissions as you and AJ have, especially when compared to the number of built 4Runners that have issue free transmissions.
Yeah I’ve wondered about it a lot, the a340e is supposed to be stronger than the w59 and it also is the transmission that Toyota put behind the 1UZ in the LS400s and Sc400s. I know a few mini truck guys run 300hp plus on the stock w59 with no issues same with the a340e.

Fluid levels were normal before and after it died, any ideas on what could be the cause for so many dead transmissions? I am kind of a newbie when it comes to transmissions.

Yeah I’ve wondered about it a lot, the a340e is supposed to be stronger than the w59 and it also is the transmission that Toyota put behind the 1UZ in the LS400s and Sc400s. I know a few mini truck guys run 300hp plus on the stock w59 with no issues same with the a340e.
Is it an early or late model a340? The 03/04s have better planetarys/torrington bearings allegedly.

What broke last time?

The only one I have blown up was after I tried to mess with the line pressure spring/piston and I did that backwards. Between shifts it would bang the rev limiter and then slam into gear.

Sean

Is it an early or late model a340? The 03/04s have better planetarys/torrington bearings allegedly.

What broke last time?

The only one I have blown up was after I tried to mess with the line pressure spring/piston and I did that backwards. Between shifts it would bang the rev limiter and then slam into gear.

Sean
It is the stock 97 trans which I'm pretty sure is the later model a340.

Last time the 3rd gear drum went out I think.

Line pressure was pretty low I before it broke. It wold slip between 3rd and 4th and rise in rpms between shifts. It didn't bang violently into any of the gears.

The change I am talking about was made between my2002 and 2003.

Not sure if you can run the late-late model ones as the controls are slightly different iirc. Yours still runs a cable for the tps/kickdown?

Were you running with od off? The big power supra guys are very specific about not letting it ever go into od under wot.

Sean

I have an A340 behind the 1uz in my truck and has been a learning curve. I first had no control of OD and burnt out a torque converter in Glamis. I rebuilt it with a junkyard TC, performance clutches and a shift kit and has been gravy ever since. In hindsight I would have left the p-1 shift solenoid alone as chirping tires coming out of park gets real old. The shift kit ups the line pressure at all times as well as taking some cushion out of the shifts.

My old '92 had a couple shift solenoids go bad and it would mysteriously hang shifts or randomly downshift before they were replaced.
My dd '02 Tundra ate the first gear/reverse planetary on the freeway once. Opened it up and replaced it without finding a reason it happened.

Smooth shifts are a clutch killer as that is the only time they should slip. I can hear mine slip through a whoop section if I'm on the gas too hard but so far they are holding up.

Yes, the early A340e trans for 4runners are, for some reason, built "softer" than the trans used in other Toyota products. Every other time the trans went out it took out OD and reverse. And with 4.88 gears it was a wild ride driving down the freeway at 75 then losing OD and it kicking down into 3rd. After the 4th time I decided to have it rebuilt vs slapping another used trans in. Found out the 3rd gear drum backing plate was just spot welded on from the factory. The shop got a new drum and TIG welded the backing plate.

I truly don't know the curse with that truck and transmissions. I was hoping it would just be me and the curse wouldn't pass on to anyone else. And knowing how well those trans have been able to hold up to high boost supras, it amazes me the amount of issues I've had with it.

Last edited:
Yeah I have no Idea why it kills transmissions like that. I managed to find a manual swap parts car for as much as a rebuild or a new trans so thats the plan as of now. Manual should also rob less power off that 4cyl.

I am contemplating doing a manual swap on my 97 2wd 3rd gen 4runner from the stock auto (a340e I believe) to a w59 which is the stock manual trans behind the 3RZ. I have a buddy who has a complete parts car with a blown motor so I wouldn't have to hunt around for all the parts. Is it worth it to do the swap? My 4runner has already gone through a few of the stock autos so I guess what I'm asking is will the manual hold up to more abuse than the stock one? I also have found a rebuild kit designed to work for up to 500hp as well as a manual transmission controller which is what I was originally going to go with. I should add that I plan on a turbo setup eventually, probably way farther in the future than I would like.

Trans controller:
http://www.radesignsproducts.com/rail-controller.html

Rebuild kit:
I might be in the same boat with the possibility of scooping a 2wd 3rd gen 4runner with a 3rz auto trans. Definitely following this manual swap since i’m kinda leaning that direction too. Please update!

So it looks like the messed up auto trans is gonna get rebuilt and put into the parts car since the parts car took almost nothing to get running. Anyone have recommendations on a good shop within an hour ish of Santa Barbara to get it running again?

Anyone know of any differences between an sc400/300 a340e and the 2wd 4runner etc. a340e? I found a few supper cheap sc400 and 300 transmissions that have low miles. As far as I can tell it’s only the bellhousing that’s different.

Most all a340e are gonna be the same dimensions ( minus the bell housing) the shift solenoids I think are different. I know the 4runner trans is for some reason, designed for "softer" shifts. So the swap should be a bolt and go.

Early model used a cable to do kickdowns or line pressure iirc. Supra solenoid control connector and gear position sensor are different connectors and vary left to right side.

Sean

Yes, the early A340e trans for 4runners are, for some reason, built "softer" than the trans used in other Toyota products. Every other time the trans went out it took out OD and reverse. And with 4.88 gears it was a wild ride driving down the freeway at 75 then losing OD and it kicking down into 3rd. After the 4th time I decided to have it rebuilt vs slapping another used trans in. Found out the 3rd gear drum backing plate was just spot welded on from the factory. The shop got a new drum and TIG welded the backing plate.

I truly don't know the curse with that truck and transmissions. I was hoping it would just be me and the curse wouldn't pass on to anyone else. And knowing how well those trans have been able to hold up to high boost supras, it amazes me the amount of issues I've had with it.
So it looks like the messed up auto trans is gonna get rebuilt and put into the parts car since the parts car took almost nothing to get running. Anyone have recommendations on a good shop within an hour ish of Santa Barbara to get it running again?
Looking for a shop to rebuild my wife’s 97 t4r 4x4 trans. 315 on the clock. Still runs and I prefer to keep it that way.

Back