Favorite tire?

Endless Trails

What is your go to MTB tire / size? All the tires I look for are generally in the Enduro / DH category.

You cant go wrong with the DHF / DHR II but Maxxis has had some quality issues and they are priced crazy. I hear good things about the Assegai up front. I had a ONZA Ibex on the rear of my bike in 27x2.4 and had no complaints. Couldn't beat it for the price.

I would run 2.5/2.6 front 2.4/2.5 rear typically on the amish bike. The new Cheater mullet has 2.6 wide F/R right now.

Never followed up but went with the Assegai 29x2.6 up front and the DHR II 27.5x2.6 out back. Great performing combo. The DHR II is getting roached pretty quickly. Might try the E specific Eddie Current rear next when the funds allow.

The DHR II is getting roached pretty quickly.
Depending on where you're riding and how much, I've had good luck with the aggressor in a 2.5wt DD casing for a longer lasting tire that doesn't suck. Not as aggressive as a DHR, but I've only really wished I had more back there on silly steep chutes. Upside- it also rolls faster than a DHR.

Last edited:
Depending on where you're riding and how much, I've had good luck with the aggressor in a 2.5wt DD casing for a longer lasting tire that doesn't suck. Not as aggressive as a DHR, but I've only really wished I had more back there and silly steep chutes. Upside- it also rolls faster than a DHR.
With how fast the e-bike chewed through the 3c DHRII, I will be looking for something else next ride. A lot of my friends have used the Aggressor in the rear. My only fear is that it is not so aggressive :D . I have heard the Eddy Current isn't so great for our dry blue groove trails, but only one way to find out.
Good to see you over here as well as Irate4x4.

With how fast the e-bike chewed through the 3c DHRII, I will be looking for something else next ride. A lot of my friends have used the Aggressor in the rear. My only fear is that it is not so aggressive :D . I have heard the Eddy Current isn't so great for our dry blue groove trails, but only one way to find out.
The aggressor does pretty well even though it looks tame. I've got a buddy who raced a few enduro world series races using that as a rear.

Depending on where you're riding and how much, I've had good luck with the aggressor in a 2.5wt DD casing for a longer lasting tire that doesn't suck. Not as aggressive as a DHR, but I've only really wished I had more back there and silly steep chutes. Upside- it also rolls faster than a DHR.

I've actually never tried Aggressor. Maybe I'll try one next.

Continental XC Kings- like riding on Ice... If you like losing the front, these are for you !!!!
Specialized Eliminator Solid but got a side wall gash pretty quick just bad luck im sure.
Specialized Butcher Solid
Maxxis Dissector - Was fast rolling was solid out of the gate but seemed to wear out really quick. I cant recall the compound was probably one of those gummy bear 3c Max Terra jobbies
Maxxis Assegai Favorite front All the traction... Slow rolling.
Maxxis DHF Solid
Maxxis DHRII Favorite Rear most noticeable braking.
Minion SS was pretty wild outback, it was pretty fast rolling would probably rock run again.

Currently running DHF and DHR2 skin wall... 100 bucks for the pair couldn't pass it up with how spendy these damn tires are

Assegai 2.5 front / rear solid last winter in the wet felt like I had 2 flats climbing but I figured it was better training for the 50-mile race we did in April.

@Endless Trails On an E bike shit I'd go full traction forget the rolling speed. you are already going to be jumping shit going uphill anyway.

Last edited:
The 3C is basically made of gummy bears.. haha

I've actually never tried Aggressor. Maybe I'll try one next.

Continental XC Kings- like riding on Ice... If you like losing the front, these are for you !!!!
Specialized Eliminator Solid but got a side wall gash pretty quick just bad luck im sure.
Specialized Butcher Solid
Maxxis Assegai Favorite front All the traction... Slow rolling.
Maxxis DHF Solid
Maxxis DHRII Favorite Rear most noticeable braking.
Minion SS was pretty wild out back, it was pretty fast rolling would probably rock run again.

Currently running DHF and DHR2 skin wall... 100 bucks for the pair couldn't pass it up with how spendy these damn tires are

Assegai 2.5 front / rear solid last winter in the wet felt like I had 2 flats climbing but I figured it was better training for the 50-mile race we did in April.

@Endless Trails On an E bike shit I'd go full traction forget the rolling speed. you are already going to be jumping shit going uphill anyway.

Nice write up. Here's my experience with rear tires.

I've run DHRIIs, Minion SSes, an Ikon, and Aggressors out back. Horses for courses really.

DHRII will brake and turn, but roll slower and wear faster
High roller II - feels like a DHR, but the DHR seems to hook up a little better.
Minion SS will turn, but kiss braking good by. I've never worn one out before I swapped for something that stopped better. Pretty much only ran for fast and smooth races
Ikon- will roll extremely fast. Does not stop, does not turn, only drifts. The first time I ran one out back, I was ready for the not stopping part, but the first legit turn I tried to smash I ended up facing back up the hill before I even knew what happened.
Aggressor brakes and turns, just not quite as well as a DHR. It rolls very fast and I don't see a need for ever trying something like a minion ss or ikon again after getting one. I swap between that and a DHR II out back depending on where I'm going riding and how much pedaling I have to do.

Up front I've run High roller IIs, DHRIIs, DHFs, and just started trying out an assegai.

The assegai is confidence for traction for days.
The DHF rolls a little faster, and is predicable, but I think I like the assegai for pure traction
The DHRII will surprise you. It works really well in most conditions on the front. I've got one up front on my ebike currently. It seems to really shine up front on bluegroove type trails.
High roller II works ok in a pinch.

There are two different 3Cs out there. Maxx grip and maxx terra. The maxx grip is super sticky, but wears really fast. Maxx terra lasts longer and is less sticky.

...if you can't tell I'm a maxxis whore.

Good info @Harry Johnson

The hard sell on the aggressor for the next rear...

Always wanted to try DHRII up front... My mind is always like no DHRII is a rear tire I know it stands for RACE and F is Freeride not front

Maxxis and all the damn casing and compounds and tire options ha

Still waiting for @Haulin&Crawlin to enter the chat... maybe if I keep taggin him haha

Mine was DHRII 3c Maxx Terra not maxx grip but still got smoked. The Wildwood / Hill canyon pumice doesn't help things.
High Roller II were the factory front and rear on my Trance. No real complaints on the trail just felt like I had the brakes on when stopping pedaling. Wouldn't coast downhill on the street. :D

My fav combo...

Assegai Front 2.5
DHR II 2.4 out back

Assegai front rear was solid also during the wet winter we had all the traction

@Haulin&Crawlin @f2taco @Tacodust Fellas?
Best all around Maxxis combo with the Assegai up front and the DHR2 out the rear. I would recommend the DD casing for equal reliability. Could go EXO plus if your a bit of a weight weenie but wouldn’t recommend EXO or less

Good info @Harry Johnson

The hard sell on the aggressor for the next rear...

Always wanted to try DHRII up front... My mind is always like no DHRII is a rear tire I know it stands for RACE and F is Freeride not front

Maxxis and all the damn casing and compounds and tire options ha

Still waiting for @Haulin&Crawlin to enter the chat... maybe if I keep taggin him haha
Love the nerd out on tires, favourite topic for myself, especially with the Maxxis stuff as I’ve done a lot of testing for them over the years.

I ran the aggressor on the rear of my lighter duty“trail” bikes for a number of years. Fast rolling for sure, great characteristics but if you’re getting pretty sporty or aggressive with your trail rides I’d stick with the DHF or DHR2. The DHR2 is also a wicked combo front and back, ran this on most of my DH rigs, sometimes would go dual DHF as well

I’ve been trying out the Versus All Mountain tires this season on a few of my bikes, it’s a similar tread pattern to the DHR. Comes in two compounds, a trail casing and a gravity casing, close to an EXO plus and a DD. Only in 27.5 and 29, and also only comes in 2.4 width. Definitely more of a trail bike tire. It rolls fast, but a bit on the stiff side. On my long travel trail bikes, Dh/ Freeride rigs, I do prefer other Maxxis combos. Ran these Versus tires on one of my MX Capra’s all season long though, and I through everything at them. Never got a flat, never had to re pump up the tires ever (tubeless) and tread wear was on par with everything else. There were a couple times where I wish I had my tried and true Assegai and DHR2 combo on a few pokes and days of chairlift park riding, but all in all the they did the job. I know he’s got plans to add some more tread patterns and sizes too which I’m looking forward to seeing.

Love the nerd out on tires, favourite topic for myself, especially with the Maxxis stuff as I’ve done a lot of testing for them over the years.

I ran the aggressor on the rear of my lighter duty“trail” bikes for a number of years. Fast rolling for sure, great characteristics but if you’re getting pretty sporty or aggressive with your trail rides I’d stick with the DHF or DHR2. The DHR2 is also a wicked combo front and back, ran this on most of my DH rigs, sometimes would go dual DHF as well
ohhhh shit. I finally baited him in!

Good info man! Much appreciated. Figured you'd be double assegai on most stuff. Interesting to hear the weapon of choice is Assegai/ DHR2
I've seen the Versus a few times... I have become bit of Maxxis fanboy.

Another Topic in the same realm... what kind of pressures are you dudes running and Cushcore/ Mysweeper or No?

Another Topic in the same realm... what kind of pressures are you dudes running and Cushcore/ Mysweeper or No?
I probably should run some sort of insert, but I don't and just end up destroying tires and rims all the time. I'm really good at getting the first 85-90% of my bike over obstacles/landings, not so much for the last part. As such, I'm usually 25+ psi out back. Lower in the front depending on conditions.

Mynesweepers F/R. I have to support the local little guy and I think the design leads to better all around protection. I and multiple people have gotten home on fully flat tires due to the insert. Hope this doesn't jinx me, but I have never had rim or even a spoke issue.

I have never been anal on pressure and typically ran on the low side for my size. On the Amish bike I would start 23/25 with 2.4/2.5 tires. I am running probably closer to 28 rear in my E-bike with a 2.6 but will probably bring it back down some as it feels too rough and slippery most of the time.
Park I put the rear closer to 25/30 for turn support. Especially Santa's Village as the dirt is better and the berms and jumps typically are higher G load than Summit.

I picked up a few IRC Tanken tires with the sale they are running. So cheap I gambled and got two rears and a front. Hard to beat $30 a tire. I mounted a 27x2.6 in the rear and so far it has been great... But then again the dirt is perfect right now. Still running the Assegai up front as it is still running good.
I might have to have Shane grab a 27x2.3 while they are still on sale.

I currently run a max grip or max terra 2.5 assegai in exo+ in the front and either a 2.4 dhrII or a dissector in doubledown with a maxterra compound. I generally run no inserts as I run alloy wheels and Generally run 28-30 psi out back with 25ish psi in the front. I prefer using a wider rim in relation to tire width to keep the bead on vs. an insert like cush core. Also, cush core does very little to protect you from hard sudden impacts compared to mynesweepers.

Back