Death Valley area questions

dirtyjed

Planning a trip at the end of the month to hit up the DV area and was planning on going through Steele Pass.
Doesn't seem like it's going to be open though. Any re-route suggestions?
Current plan is Independence to Reward Mine to Mazarouka Peak to Eureka dunes than out to Big Pine.
From there I was planning trying to hit as much dirt as possible to Bishop or possibly Mammoth.

Group of 5 newer Broncos coming from Sacramento area.
TIA for any help. 🍻

Just realized I put this in the wrong place.
Meant to put it in trip planning.
Can someone move it for me if it's an issue?

Just realized I put this in the wrong place.
Meant to put it in trip planning.
Can someone move it for me if it's an issue?
You should down load the bfg app and follow the don’t follow Darren trail he took from DV to mammoth it has the whole route mapped plus some bypasses

That app is pretty legit.
Any way to import those tracks to Gaia or Onyx?
Thanks!

Not that I’ve found but maybe you can have both apps running and having the second app running to download the route. And make it easier for everyone else

As someone that goes to DV once a year for the past 8 years, I would say, stick to your original route but be ready to have back up routes. Most of the closures they put in place are more so for tourists driving around in rented minivans or priuses. With all the rains the last couple of years, DV's trails systems have definitely been effected but this shouldn't discourage you from attempting to do the trails that you want. You'll quickly learn if you're able to do the trails or not once you get to the trail head. Make sure to bring extra gas just in case.

Last edited:
Planning a trip at the end of the month to hit up the DV area and was planning on going through Steele Pass.
Current plan is Independence to Reward Mine to Mazarouka Peak to Eureka dunes than out to Big Pine.
From there I was planning trying to hit as much dirt as possible to Bishop or possibly Mammoth.

TIA for any help. 🍻

If youre dead-set on seeing the eureka dunes, it would be pretty easy to go just a bit further up the road to the dedeckera canyon steps (which from that direction is the gateway to steel pass). If Dedeckera is passable, the rest of steel pass will be too (or at least Im willing to bet). Ive seen dedeckera canyon when the steps were pretty smooth, and Ive seen it when the steps were pretty scary/big. Oddly enough, when they were big and scary, we watched a younger couple in a 1 or 2 yr old lexus gx 460 go up the steps. It was fairly stock with some BFG ATs and they made it up with just some scratches on the rear bumper. I say go for it, the new broncos are supposed to be pretty capable!

From steel pass, youll hit the hot springs and get to see all of the naked hippies. After that, making a right on the main road will take you back to/through north pass, and then from there you can drop back down into owens valley. Like mentioned above, I'd recommend bringing extra gas.

Post some pics of the trip when you get back!

Thanks for the info!
The dunes is where the group decided to camp for the night so is somewhat out of my hands. I didn't realize you couldn't drive on them till a few days ago.
Definitely not afraid of rocks and the dents and scratches they bring. I've played on parts of Fordyce, Rubicon and dome a ton of the easier rock trails up here.
We did the Mojave Trail from Laughlin to Barstow this winter and I was good on fuel. But I carry 6g with me. As do most of us. Here's a pic of the bolt on princess.
1000003119.jpg
Again thanks for the info. 🍻

They look impressive that's for sure.
Are you allowed to at least go check them out or is it a look don't touch situation?
Can I drink a couple beers and pee into the wind at the top?

So new plan is to basically follow the Don't follow Darren route from Reward Mine to Mammoth. I guess the NPS is saying Steele Pass is wiped out.

I'm curious what you guys think the minimum vehicle requirements are for this. There's a couple of people in the Bronco Sports (think Subaru Outback) that want to join but I'm not familiar enough with the area to know if they can make it without major damage.

So new plan is to basically follow the Don't follow Darren route from Reward Mine to Mammoth. I guess the NPS is saying Steele Pass is wiped out.

I'm curious what you guys think the minimum vehicle requirements are for this. There's a couple of people in the Bronco Sports (think Subaru Outback) that want to join but I'm not familiar enough with the area to know if they can make it without major damage.
Should be do-able although, having a sturdier tires might be a limiting factor. Running E-rated tires would be a minimum requirement for my group. The rocks in DV are razor sharp and can slash a sidewall fairly easily.

Very cool... Looks like a blast.

If you guys want to squeeze out a few more dirt miles and end at the Alabama Hills area, take this pole line route South of Manzanar. It's fun, winedy and fast. Has a couple of water crossings and you end at Alabama Hills, which is a cool area to camp or check out.

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 11.12.30 AM.png

Hmmmmm
We're actually gonna travel from South to North. Had talked about camping at AH but it's supposed to be kinda warm so have some sites booked at Grays Meadow CG for that Friday (travel day).
Maybe a quick eveninh rip on a fun road will be in order 🤘🍻
Thanks

TIA for any help. 🍻
The NPS just took a dozer through there to re-establish the road. Should be good but maybe less interesting!

Back