Chase Truck Thread

gtrainor21

Curious if anyone was wanting to share their setups for chase/support vehicles? Full blown stacker/semi? Utility body on a pickup? box van? VW bus packed with home depot totes? I love seeing the creativity and what works for people and their teams from equipment to storage techniques.

I've got a older GMC single cab diesel that I've been using for work and I'm currently looking for a service body to drop on the back for all my tools... I think it would be super handy to have whether its around the house or towing the rig to the trail... and someday if I ever get motivated to compete it'll be there too.
I've had some company trucks that I've outfitted with inverters, on board air, fuel tank, and things like that so at a minimum that's what this truck will get. I dunno, I'm a nerd for purpose built stuff... so lets see it!

Im in the middle of a chase truck build right now- 2005 silverado 3500hd single rear wheel.

I posted a Wanted ad on Race dezert and this guy called me and sold me a 8' Harbor bed for 1k. I went and picked it up and the work got started. Stripped the bed down, repainted inside and out, bedlined the inside of the bed. Installed new leaf springs on my truck and traction bars to handle the extra weight plus i tow alot of heavy loads. Rebuilt the rear bumper, new lights etc.

For suspension i am running 3300lb HD leaf springs, 6" fabricated lift block, HSP 70" traction bars, 2.0 fox remote resi shocks, airlift bags. Front end is 9" cst kit with fox shocks. All upgraded factory parts (idler arm, pitman arm, center link, tie rods, axles, hubs)

I am not running a roof rack, i prefer the lower profile setup of just the service bed. I am currently outfitting all of the cabinets. Here is some of the items i am prioritizing. Honda 2,000 generator mounted inside cabinet, exhaust routes through the wheel well inside the cabinet. Tool storage. Milwaukee battery charger. Power strip in side cabinet. Towel and glove holders. 16" chainsaw with oil, fuel, etc. Shovel, Hub wrench, sound bar for music and phone chargers. Rear cabinet has hardware storage and 50' electrical reel.

Driver side has more tool storage, full fluid storage ( coolant, oils, lubricants, grease etc) Rear driver side has more tools sockets, impact gun case, 50' air hose reel lighting etc. Top flip up cabinets have all my spare parts - electrical parts, spare fuel pump, filters, bolts, alternator etc etc.

Next step is mount my air compressor underneath the bed where the spare tire used to sit. Additionally i need to figure out my pit lighting setup as well as communications. I also plan to add lighting in all of the boxes. New wheels and tires will be installed at some point. Need to find a good deal on some used 17's.

I will take some additional pics when i get home and ill post up some setups ive used for inspiration.

For anyone wanting to do this, its alot of work. I was thinking i would have this setup done in 1 month, ive been working on it since december. Took the bed on and off countless times to make it all work out properly. Its pretty low on the priority list of things to do around here so i just work on it when i have some free time in between other jobs.

IMG_0286.jpgIMG_0301.jpgIMG_9201.jpgIMG_9287.jpgIMG_9540.jpg

Im in the middle of a chase truck build right now- 2005 silverado 3500hd single rear wheel.

I posted a Wanted ad on Race dezert and this guy called me and sold me a 8' Harbor bed for 1k. I went and picked it up and the work got started. Stripped the bed down, repainted inside and out, bedlined the inside of the bed. Installed new leaf springs on my truck and traction bars to handle the extra weight plus i tow alot of heavy loads. Rebuilt the rear bumper, new lights etc.

For suspension i am running 3300lb HD leaf springs, 6" fabricated lift block, HSP 70" traction bars, 2.0 fox remote resi shocks, airlift bags. Front end is 9" cst kit with fox shocks. All upgraded factory parts (idler arm, pitman arm, center link, tie rods, axles, hubs)

I am not running a roof rack, i prefer the lower profile setup of just the service bed. I am currently outfitting all of the cabinets. Here is some of the items i am prioritizing. Honda 2,000 generator mounted inside cabinet, exhaust routes through the wheel well inside the cabinet. Tool storage. Milwaukee battery charger. Power strip in side cabinet. Towel and glove holders. 16" chainsaw with oil, fuel, etc. Shovel, Hub wrench, sound bar for music and phone chargers. Rear cabinet has hardware storage and 50' electrical reel.

Driver side has more tool storage, full fluid storage ( coolant, oils, lubricants, grease etc) Rear driver side has more tools sockets, impact gun case, 50' air hose reel lighting etc. Top flip up cabinets have all my spare parts - electrical parts, spare fuel pump, filters, bolts, alternator etc etc.

Next step is mount my air compressor underneath the bed where the spare tire used to sit. Additionally i need to figure out my pit lighting setup as well as communications. I also plan to add lighting in all of the boxes. New wheels and tires will be installed at some point. Need to find a good deal on some used 17's.

I will take some additional pics when i get home and ill post up some setups ive used for inspiration.

For anyone wanting to do this, its alot of work. I was thinking i would have this setup done in 1 month, ive been working on it since december. Took the bed on and off countless times to make it all work out properly. Its pretty low on the priority list of things to do around here so i just work on it when i have some free time in between other jobs.

View attachment 10034View attachment 10035View attachment 10036View attachment 10037View attachment 10038

I FUCKING LOVE YOUR SETUP!!!!!!!!!

honestly though, as far as "purpose wise/using it"....... being that tall of a truck gets to be a real SOB as a useful chase truck w/ tools and parts and all that shit. Buddy had a truck very similar that was actually a bit SHORTER and it looked sick as fuck, but became so fucking annoying using it at races and shit. hah

I FUCKING LOVE YOUR SETUP!!!!!!!!!

honestly though, as far as "purpose wise/using it"....... being that tall of a truck gets to be a real SOB as a useful chase truck w/ tools and parts and all that shit. Buddy had a truck very similar that was actually a bit SHORTER and it looked sick as fuck, but became so fucking annoying using it at races and shit. hah
Thank you! Its been a pain in the ass since i got it honestly. I bought it lifted and i have been heavily considering dropping it down in height i have no idea how much work that will be though.

oof these are all nice. Ive been looking for a service bed for my short bed for months. For now we just toss a bunch of spare parts, tools, and a jerry rigged radio in my truck and hope for the best :ROFLMAO: so far so good haha

Thank you! Its been a pain in the ass since i got it honestly. I bought it lifted and i have been heavily considering dropping it down in height i have no idea how much work that will be though.

It IS and WILL be a fuckload of work. It costs about the same and is as much work as it is to buy and install a lift that big.
Almost exactly why my old buddy never lowered his when he had it. Too much work, and even though mommy and daddy could and would definetly pay for it....... it got too much "sick points" and made all the Snobbsdale bitches wet their panties........ hah

oof these are all nice. Ive been looking for a service bed for my short bed for months. For now we just toss a bunch of spare parts, tools, and a jerry rigged radio in my truck and hope for the best :ROFLMAO: so far so good haha
Its hard to find a short bed body that someone doesn't want a pile of cash for it seems like. I've been trying to track down a long bed but I've been picky... been trying to keep the bed short enough to still run my gooseneck with it. plus I want the compartments that go across the tops of the bed, plus being partial to certain brands of beds, etc... I'll probably end up parting the truck out before I find a bed at this rate

Chase trucks make my pants a little tighter. Here's a couple I have saved on my phone, for inspiration. Planning on a tow rig/chase setup soonish, but SE trails don't lead to chase trucks well, so really would be more of a mobile basic shop truck/tow rig deal.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1666722244388.jpg
    FB_IMG_1666722244388.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 12
  • 20221025_163515.jpg
    20221025_163515.jpg
    572.7 KB · Views: 12
Back