Cage/harness no helmet or hans!?!

Dirt Yota

Hey guys so on a Tacoma forum a bunch long travel guys are going back and forth about driving a caged trucked with 5 points. More specifically that without a helmet and neck device like a Hans or leatt device.

What is everyone thoughts on this subject. I went from a safety third to second maybe tied for first lol. Thought cage and harness would be fine for play truck.

Last edited:
Yeah when I’m strapped in not a chance of hitting cage. Guys are arguing saying they would never be harnessed in a seat without neck protection like a HANS device, they would rock the stock style belts instead… with a cage.

My stock yota 3.4 v6 makes me a cruiser as well but I do drive it occasionally on street and a bad accident at average road speed I could see causing a neck issues without some sort of neck device but same with a stock 3 point…

I may have to put safety back to third so my mind is at ease lol.

Hans devices only work when paired with a helmet and there is no way I'd wear one on the street. The weight of a helmet without restraints causes issues as well Earnhardt style. My cage is pretty far away but I probably could reach it in a violent enough roll. Still way less likely than relying on stock 3 points to keep me from hitting it though. Stock belts are designed to tuck you into the center of the vehicle to allow the roof to cave around you but my roof isn't caving and I don't think my seats would allow that anyways. Safest bet is to put the truck back on jackstands and die a fat lonely man playing video games on the couch.

exactly what Motiracer38 said. In the 23 years i have been driving prerunners in the dirt i have never had an accident... likely because i dont overdrive the truck (i dont want to fix it)... With that being said, if i was out driving hard helmets are a must in a caged truck... Now my truck isnt caged so i run stock belts. here are m thoughts.
1. non caged trucks never run 5 points
2. caged truck on street - 5 points i dont want my head bouncing off a metal tube
3. caged truck on dirt cruising - 5 points no helmet
4. caged truck on dirt trying to be a hero - 5 points and a helmet
5. caged truck racing - helmet, neck restraint, and ratcheting 5 points are a must.. with hard shell seats.

I’d just say don’t wear a helmet unless you’re wearing a neck restraint. The one time I’ve ever been hurt in my truck was that situation. Hell I’ve tapped my head on the roll cage during an off camber jump, with just headsets on and it really wasn’t the worst thing. Threw some foam on it later and called it a day.

These posts are what I had read over the years and based my plans off. This is my first go with a cage and truck built to this level. My last was similar just no cab cage as I was safety third, I rolled it and said I will not mob again without a cage. You know that “with age comes a…”

Thanks for the replies. I don’t think people give enough thought this stuff.

Had a discussion with a guy at work who wanted to put harnesses in all seats in his non aged 4runner. Ended with do what you want man…

These posts are what I had read over the years and based my plans off. This is my first go with a cage and truck built to this level. My last was similar just no cab cage as I was safety third, I rolled it and said I will not mob again without a cage. You know that “with age comes a…”

Thanks for the replies. I don’t think people give enough thought this stuff.

Had a discussion with a guy at work who wanted to put harnesses in all seats in his non aged 4runner. Ended with do what you want man…
really its all preference with people and what experiences they have had dictate those thoughts.. and or their thought process and what scares them. I know myself i tend to be a worry wart about stuff, but that has also kept me safe and i am okay with that.

ok....... i have a perfect example and personal experience to throw out MY thoughts on this event.

FIRST OFF, rest in fucking miller lite peace to the BEST TRUCK I EVER DUN DID OWN, BillyBadassBronco.

IMG_3140.JPG

IMG_4608.JPG

now.......... i used to (some will argue that i still am((WILLIS :ROFLMAO: )), including me) be a fuckin idiot.
on top of that a drinking and driving idiot. a smart wun tho.......... haha

I WAS NOT DRUNK WHEN THIS HAPPPENED. i had a few beers, but not DRUNK.

full kill Bronco with everything BUT links and a cage. full buckets front/rear but ONLY WITH LAP BELTS. i was smart enough to know that running shoulder harnesses in a non caged truck is just a recipe for disaster. thank god for that too because......... well, you can see and imagine........

SLOW as fuck roll, i was simply slowly climbing up a fairly small (for what we had been doing) hill. planned to go up, down, turn around and go back.
climbed up pretty slow, thought i knew the other side, thought wrong, as soon as it peaked over the top, it toppled over and rolled down the other side 2 or 3 times.

i walked away with nothing but tears for the Bronco and my ego, girl in the back seat also no scratches, buddy in the passenger seat broke 2 of his finggyyysss, or something fairly small like that, injury wise.
we all had lap belts on.
IF we would of had shoulder belts on............ i might not be here today typing this out.

that was my one NEAR death moment. wasn't good enough for me so i decided to literally die a few years later but didn't like BEING dead so i said fuck that, came back to life and here i am (banging plenty of mawmacita's an all)! hahah

take what you will from this story, I'm not saying you should or should not do anything. that's on you. im just sharing my personal experience and what happened. as far as what AdamCleanDezDoucheMagooosh (@Cleandezert ) said about driving really easy and not going balls to the wall, i know myself. i ALWAYS drive balls to the wall (just withOUT a Highlife in my hand now, or ever hah) so now, i wont drive anything any type of hard in the dirt that doesn't have a cage.

20140427_184552.jpg

20140427_185502.jpg

20140519_181105.jpg

20140519_181100.jpg

20140519_183134.jpg

D2B39B26-8D2C-4DDC-B831-16D77316E089.jpeg

@UR_Mawm69 I feel ya! I had oopsie moment as well, very slow rollover. I stuck it though, landed back on wheels, re-beaded a tire and drove away. I had stock belts with crow lap belts and stock bucket seats. Crazy thing is morning before I called buddy and said after adding front bumps and finally valved and tuned shocks it was scary fast, told him last run till we cage it. Rolled it first thing next morning. Walked away with bruised ego and a sore noggin from slapping cab as completed the roll. So grateful didn’t happen at mach speed in the whoops prior day!!!

all i have to add is that harness without the nut belt are not of much use, the wife and i have matching scars to prove this.

on that same point.. harness do have installation instructions to make sure its not compressing your back. Seen people install shoulder belts to the floor which is no bueno.. its like a 10 degree angle back from your shoulders or seats.

on that same point.. harness do have installation instructions to make sure its not compressing your back. Seen people install shoulder belts to the floor which is no bueno.. its like a 10 degree angle back from your shoulders or seats.

seat mfg are doing the industry a HUGE HUGE HUGE disservice by putting slots in seats. they are nowhere near high enough for people.

seat mfg are doing the industry a HUGE HUGE HUGE disservice by putting slots in seats. they are nowhere near high enough for people.

Being 6'4" I have always wondered who could actually use those. I ordered my PRP Podiums +4 to make them actually usable. I have some Beards that my 10 year old is outgrowing

SFi rated roll cage padding is a good solution I have found. It is made of a similar material that skateboard/bmx helmets are made.. I think proper padding and belts that allow some torso movement in a hard crash are as good as you can get without a hans full system.

ok....... i have a perfect example and personal experience to throw out MY thoughts on this event.

FIRST OFF, rest in fucking miller lite peace to the BEST TRUCK I EVER DUN DID OWN, BillyBadassBronco.

View attachment 9143

View attachment 9144

now.......... i used to (some will argue that i still am((WILLIS :ROFLMAO: )), including me) be a fuckin idiot.
on top of that a drinking and driving idiot. a smart wun tho.......... haha

I WAS NOT DRUNK WHEN THIS HAPPPENED. i had a few beers, but not DRUNK.

full kill Bronco with everything BUT links and a cage. full buckets front/rear but ONLY WITH LAP BELTS. i was smart enough to know that running shoulder harnesses in a non caged truck is just a recipe for disaster. thank god for that too because......... well, you can see and imagine........

SLOW as fuck roll, i was simply slowly climbing up a fairly small (for what we had been doing) hill. planned to go up, down, turn around and go back.
climbed up pretty slow, thought i knew the other side, thought wrong, as soon as it peaked over the top, it toppled over and rolled down the other side 2 or 3 times.

i walked away with nothing but tears for the Bronco and my ego, girl in the back seat also no scratches, buddy in the passenger seat broke 2 of his finggyyysss, or something fairly small like that, injury wise.
we all had lap belts on.
IF we would of had shoulder belts on............ i might not be here today typing this out.

that was my one NEAR death moment. wasn't good enough for me so i decided to literally die a few years later but didn't like BEING dead so i said fuck that, came back to life and here i am (banging plenty of mawmacita's an all)! hahah

take what you will from this story, I'm not saying you should or should not do anything. that's on you. im just sharing my personal experience and what happened. as far as what AdamCleanDezDoucheMagooosh (@Cleandezert ) said about driving really easy and not going balls to the wall, i know myself. i ALWAYS drive balls to the wall (just withOUT a Highlife in my hand now, or ever hah) so now, i wont drive anything any type of hard in the dirt that doesn't have a cage.

View attachment 9146

View attachment 9145

View attachment 9148

View attachment 9147

View attachment 9149

What were the specs on your bronco?

What were the specs on your bronco?
1989 Bronco, had something like 90k ORIGINAL miles on it, WORKING A/C for the first majority of its life, FUCKLOAD OF HIGHLIFE IN ITS BLOOD AND RUNNING GEAR AT ALL TIMES,
NO CAGE
stock 4x4 beams that i cut/turned
12" c/o in the front
mangled/transgendered "supposed" to be 64" leafs in the back with 12" triples under the floor and 2.0 bumps
flipped axle and tubbed rear, that not to be too cocky or anything, but i did a FUCKING BADASS, CLEAN AS FUCK job on that i'll forever be the most proud of
it ended life on 37" projects w/ 17" methods
ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm
buckets in the front, bench in the rear

aaaaaaaannnnnndddddddddd............
custom center console i built nice and super clean as fuck, as well.
bunch of cool funny switches..........
bumper w/ 4 old ass KC's, HAD a 50" Rigid at one point but i was actually in the process of putting a big badass lightbar w/4 Baja Design HiDs on it (that is now on the buggy) that came off of the silver bullet when DickheadDouchbagDenton got rid of it...........

um, yeah. hah

and also, it had, still has,, and forever will have my whole heart...........

Back