Bad company’s bad times…..

Zwiley13

So I wanted to start this to warn people and help our off-road community. Here’s my story since now I’ve just about completed my truck . I purchased a full floater through camburg… I bought a housing,hubs, brakes, diff skid, axles, and a hand brake from them. Said and done I spent pretty close to 8k with them….I had them weld the snouts in the housing and set up the brake lines. I assembled my own hubs crush sleeves exc… I’m very disappointed in the company. When I assembled my rear end I installed one axle in and everything was great it went right in and sat 1/8 below the drive plate, on my passenger side the axle sat 1.25 inches outside of the drive plate because the axles where not turned down below the splines allowing it to go into the spool all the way. I called camburg and told them what was going on and sent them pictures…. They admitted that my axles may have been made wrong.. there solution was to flip my axle over and install the drive plate side into the spool and the longer splines into the drive plate and just adjust it out to the right size . Sure it works I’ll be able to drive my truck but why not take ownership in your company and make people happy. Just so unfortunate to see a great company make bad decisions. On one note Carlos over at camburg did go out of his way to help me so I do praise him for that.

Attachments

• IMG_4081.jpeg
    IMG_4081.jpeg
    210.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4063.jpeg
    IMG_4063.jpeg
    311.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4095.jpeg
    IMG_4095.jpeg
    460.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4096.jpeg
    IMG_4096.jpeg
    370.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Someone I know just had the same issue. The conclusion we came to was the company that made the axles use a flanged axle and just splined the end that had a flange. To fix the issue I turned down the side and that resolved the issue. He did contact the company that made the axle and they just blew him off. Personally I would like to have full spline engagement on the spool side. If u know someone that has a big enough lathe have them turn it down for ya.

Someone I know just had the same issue. The conclusion we came to was the company that made the axles use a flanged axle and just splined the end that had a flange. To fix the issue I turned down the side and that resolved the issue. He did contact the company that made the axle and they just blew him off. Personally I would like to have full spline engagement on the spool side. If u know someone that has a big enough lathe have them turn it down for ya.
Yeah I contacted gear works and they said that it should be fine but it’s not right I just ran it for now till I get some stuff figured out

That's a bummer dude.

Maybe @juberafab can answer this but why wouldn't they just take it back as a return? Would they just mark the axles length and save it for the next guy who orders an answer at that specific width?

The company I work for is really good about taking care of the customer... Doesn't make sense to build a business on one and done customers. It's all about the repeat business. Not saying that Camburg does business this way, but just replying to the story presented here.

That's a bummer dude.

Maybe @juberafab can answer this but why wouldn't they just take it back as a return? Would they just mark the axles length and save it for the next guy who orders an answer at that specific width?

The company I work for is really good about taking care of the customer... Doesn't make sense to build a business on one and done customers. It's all about the repeat business. Not saying that Camburg does business this way, but just replying to the story presented here.
In no way shape or form am I talking shit about camburg and the quality of their work I’m just getting my story out to inform people that things can happen … I just really wish they would have stepped up and owned the axles and been done with it.

this is interesting... Had a friend that had an issue with some shocks he ordered... wasnt until Carlos got involved that someone wanted to help.. Not sure who helped you, but seems some of these people are lost on customer service... Hell even at my job some of our managers are blind to the fact that we provide a service and that service brings people back... they think its all about doing the task at hand and not the overall picture of how we treat people, how we help people who have issues. ect.

this is interesting... Had a friend that had an issue with some shocks he ordered... wasnt until Carlos got involved that someone wanted to help.. Not sure who helped you, but seems some of these people are lost on customer service... Hell even at my job some of our managers are blind to the fact that we provide a service and that service brings people back... they think its all about doing the task at hand and not the overall picture of how we treat people, how we help people who have issues. ect.
Carlos did go out of his way to help me . If people do order stuff I’d be asking for Carlos. He’s a really good dude just could not get me axles. I don’t understand either because they out source them so it wouldn't really even be on them .

Carlos did go out of his way to help me . If people do order stuff I’d be asking for Carlos. He’s a really good dude just could not get me axles. I don’t understand either because they out source them so it wouldn't really even be on them .
that is so odd. has to be something to the story they arent telling you.

They emailed me saying that there could be something wrong with my axles. Basically the axle was not turned down after the splines to allow the axle to go into the spool fully. The drive plate side was turned down that’s why they told me to flip the axle over and put it in that way.
that is so odd. has to be something to the story they arent telling you.

Attachments

• IMG_4093.jpeg
    IMG_4093.jpeg
    429.8 KB · Views: 29
I completely agree customer service is everything. The company that the guy dealt with was pretty rude to him and made him feel like he didn't know what he was doing and that it couldn't be wrong and he wasn't assembling it correctly. I even stopped by to make sure they weren't in the wrong. They stated they would call him back and never contacted him again. He didn't press the issue no should he have too. He did order them through ORW about 8 years ago but had just pulled them out of the brand new box and they didn't fit. he could have tried to resch out to orw but went directly to the company. One axle was correct. But as stated the other one was not made correctly. Even if it was 8 years ago they should have made it right. a bad part is a bad part. They messed up and now he had a 500 axle that was a paper weight. Idk why they couldn't make it right. It was a fairly simple fix. It could have been he was just talking to the wrong guy who is giving the company a bad reputation. I personally appreciate companies that take the time for their customers. I will return again and again. One bad experience and I will take my money elsewhere where it is appreciated. This industry is too small and one bad deal can make a big differencein one's business.

I removed about. 125 to allow it too clear. Roy ODR has the same issue from the same company so not a one time occurrence. I would recommend PPM or TCS if u need axles.

Attachments

• 20230413_181548.jpg
    20230413_181548.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 29
The quality control and customer service at Camburg are definitely lacking. I dont think they've ever answered my phone calls, or emails unless they email me first. I've also stood at the counter for 5 minutes as everyone walked by me without them saying anything.
The best one was being told "you dont know what you're talking about" and "it's ok that it's not square. its still in tollerance."

This might not have been Camburg's fault, but they definitely need to step up their game.

I completely agree customer service is everything. The company that the guy dealt with was pretty rude to him and made him feel like he didn't know what he was doing and that it couldn't be wrong and he wasn't assembling it correctly. I even stopped by to make sure they weren't in the wrong. They stated they would call him back and never contacted him again. He didn't press the issue no should he have too. He did order them through ORW about 8 years ago but had just pulled them out of the brand new box and they didn't fit. he could have tried to resch out to orw but went directly to the company. One axle was correct. But as stated the other one was not made correctly. Even if it was 8 years ago they should have made it right. a bad part is a bad part. They messed up and now he had a 500 axle that was a paper weight. Idk why they couldn't make it right. It was a fairly simple fix. It could have been he was just talking to the wrong guy who is giving the company a bad reputation. I personally appreciate companies that take the time for their customers. I will return again and again. One bad experience and I will take my money elsewhere where it is appreciated. This industry is too small and one bad deal can make a big differencein one's business.
I completely 100 percent agree with you. And thank you for all the knowledge I really appreciate it. Hopefully get the truck out soon with you guys!

The quality control and customer service at Camburg are definitely lacking. I dont think they've ever answered my phone calls, or emails unless they email me first. I've also stood at the counter for 5 minutes as everyone walked by me without them saying anything.
The best one was being told "you dont know what you're talking about" and "it's ok that it's not square. its still in tollerance."

This might not have been Camburg's fault, but they definitely need to step up their game.
Haha every time I’ve ever been to camburg over the last 15+ years it’s always been the same shit service, unless Carlos was/is there to help you. He single handedly keeps that place in business in my opinion as scott and jerry don’t give a single fuck about anyone other than themselves and maybe a few customers with similar sized bank accounts to them.

This thread was just brought to my attention so sorry if Im late to respond.

Just to clear things up, Camburg doesn't make axle shafts, we build the housings, build hubs and can get axle shafts made for your Camburg housing.

When ordering a rear end through Camburg, we offer several diff options when it comes to axle shafts all at different price points. Price points vary on material & processes. some are cheaper to make than others.

We offer an HT alloy shaft which is the one in question. It's on the more budget side of the axles we can provide.
Because of that, the company we get them from cuts down their stock, they spline it, we have them tap the ends for us to make minor adjustments and send them out the door. They're not so much concerned with it being tapered after the splines so you can run it through a drive plate or fully engage the longer spline into the center section.

We also offer an axle shaft that is a much nicer piece that is tapered down after the splines, they're polished and look awesome. they're also twice the cost of an HT alloy axle & takes a few weeks while longer to get because it goes through a diff process.

We (Zack & I) talked on the phone a few times and emailed back and forth several other times.. We went over the different axle options and the shorter spline side going into the center section being ok. I don't remember telling you that they were in fact made wrong, or that I wouldn't give you an option for a different axle manufacture.
I've attached a picture for reference on how much spline engagement we are talking about between your current axles (short side) and a new set of TCS axles (long side)
If you want to swap them, I would gladly order you a new set of axles for the difference in cost, you told me you wanted to get it running by the weekend. but you'd have to give me the current axles back new like they are now. This is still an option if you didn't go run the axles this weekend.

If any wheel company sent you the wrong wheels , they offer to send you new ones but they wont tell you to drive on the ones you have for now. they'd ask you to make sure they stay boxed up and new, I would ask you do the same with the axles.

Unfortunately, I am no longer part of the day to day sales team at Camburg, but it does not mean I cannot make sales or get involved if the service/parts you are getting from the sales team are not up to par. It is my job to get involved when customers ask to speak with management or when some of my less experienced sales guys are lost. I encourage all of you to reach out to me direct if you have any issues with tech help, quality control or general race parts and I will do my best to make it right. We are not in the business of pissing racers off or giving people bad parts. I try to work with everyone and I always go out of my way to at least make sure our customers get what they pay for. We all work hard to build these trucks, Ive been on the sales side and the customer side of it and I try to put myself in every customers shoes when it comes to purchasing these expensive parts.

Carlos@Camburg.com
(442)888-1032 direct.
@__Carlos__G on IG.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-16 at 3.28.29 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-16 at 3.28.29 PM.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 19
This thread was just brought to my attention so sorry if Im late to respond.

Just to clear things up, Camburg doesn't make axle shafts, we build the housings, build hubs and can get axle shafts made for your Camburg housing.

When ordering a rear end through Camburg, we offer several diff options when it comes to axle shafts all at different price points. Price points vary on material & processes. some are cheaper to make than others.

We offer an HT alloy shaft which is the one in question. It's on the more budget side of the axles we can provide.
Because of that, the company we get them from cuts down their stock, they spline it, we have them tap the ends for us to make minor adjustments and send them out the door. They're not so much concerned with it being tapered after the splines so you can run it through a drive plate or fully engage the longer spline into the center section.

We also offer an axle shaft that is a much nicer piece that is tapered down after the splines, they're polished and look awesome. they're also twice the cost of an HT alloy axle & takes a few weeks while longer to get because it goes through a diff process.

We (Zack & I) talked on the phone a few times and emailed back and forth several other times.. We went over the different axle options and the shorter spline side going into the center section being ok. I don't remember telling you that they were in fact made wrong, or that I wouldn't give you an option for a different axle manufacture.
I've attached a picture for reference on how much spline engagement we are talking about between your current axles (short side) and a new set of TCS axles (long side)
If you want to swap them, I would gladly order you a new set of axles for the difference in cost, you told me you wanted to get it running by the weekend. but you'd have to give me the current axles back new like they are now. This is still an option if you didn't go run the axles this weekend.

If any wheel company sent you the wrong wheels , they offer to send you new ones but they wont tell you to drive on the ones you have for now. they'd ask you to make sure they stay boxed up and new, I would ask you do the same with the axles.

Unfortunately, I am no longer part of the day to day sales team at Camburg, but it does not mean I cannot make sales or get involved if the service/parts you are getting from the sales team are not up to par. It is my job to get involved when customers ask to speak with management or when some of my less experienced sales guys are lost. I encourage all of you to reach out to me direct if you have any issues with tech help, quality control or general race parts and I will do my best to make it right. We are not in the business of pissing racers off or giving people bad parts. I try to work with everyone and I always go out of my way to at least make sure our customers get what they pay for. We all work hard to build these trucks, Ive been on the sales side and the customer side of it and I try to put myself in every customers shoes when it comes to purchasing these expensive parts.

Carlos@Camburg.com
(442)888-1032 direct.
@__Carlos__G on IG.
I appreciate you helping on my other things. But i already spent the money on axles on your website they are listed for 995 for HT axles. Bottom line I emailed you guy and asked if there was anyway we could fix the axle or make it right. With no response to my email I was left with just flip the axle over and run it that way. Sure it works but no it is not correct. Also purchasing axles that are more money on-top of what I spent is not the correct fix either. I was never offered hey we can get the axle back and fix it or make it right it was spend more money or just run what you have.

Haha every time I’ve ever been to camburg over the last 15+ years it’s always been the same shit service, unless Carlos was/is there to help you. He single handedly keeps that place in business in my opinion as scott and jerry don’t give a single fuck about anyone other than themselves and maybe a few customers with similar sized bank accounts to them.

Do you know something I don't ? I would say 90% of Camburg customers have a similar bank account as me lol. I've worked for/with Camburg for almost 19 years now and have gone above and beyond for everyone I've dealt with, so not sure where this is coming from. I moved to Utah back in 2019 so I work more behind the scenes now, but still involved daily. While you're entitled to your opinion and have your reasons, I just strongly disagree with it and I think most others would as well.

Zack reached out to me a couple weeks ago and I gave him my thoughts on the matter and told him to reach out to Carlos at the shop to go over everything and get it figured out since we've got some young blood in the sales dept. Shitty customer service doesn't answer multiple personal DM's on a Sunday.

In regards to his axle issue, I don't know all the specifics & details, but one thing to remember is there are so many variables when you're mixing and matching parts from various companies/manufacturers. The same axles he has could work with no issues in 50+ other rear ends from us. If that wasn't the case the manufacturer of those axles wouldn't do it that way since they sell thousands like that. The variable is how the splines are broached in the spool and how the axles are engaging them. Spline length and position in the spool varies between companies and even styles some times (standard spool vs lightweight). Some have the splines full length, some have medium length splines, many have 2 rows of splines with an open area in the center, etc.

The axles he purchased are the lower cost versions and aren't full body machined and polished like our more expensive 300M axle options. But regardless they should still fit correctly. If both axles are the correct lengths, the fact that the long spline doesn't slip in all the way tells me his spool has longer splines broached in them than most, That's not good or bad, just different. More spline engagement doesn't make it stronger, ultimately the axle diameter and material used is what dictates that. The solution is to machine the backside of the spline area slightly to the minor diameter of the spline to allow it to register deeper into the spool so that the drive plate end is just recessed from the very end. Also we don't typically setup the axles to touch each other in the middle since most spools and lockers don't have splines in the very middle where the axle ends meet. We use a 3/8-24 bolt & jam nut threaded into the end of the axle to adjust total length so you get the correct spline engagement in the spool/locker, drive plate and correct recess from the end of the drive plate. When axles heat up, they grow in length, so you don't want the axle flush as it will expand and put pressure on the center cap.

There's more info than needed here and I'm not gonna go back & forth on this, but I'm more than happy to answer technical questions. Regardless of the cost of the axles, how the splines and axles are machined (we dont machine the axles), fitment issues from various companies and various tolerances, etc. Camburg should do what it takes to make it right within reason. Issues arise and it's how you deal with those issues that counts. That's something all companies and employees should put forth. Customers should also understand that nothing is perfect especially when you're dealing with very tight tolerances and multiple parts all from different companies. Part of the assembly and installation process is dealing with these slight issues that can be easily corrected. Obviously when someone buys a complete rear end from us and we assemble it, these types of fitment issues are corrected/addressed. No different buying a complete LS7 crate engine vs buying everything separate from Summit Racing on black friday and putting it together in your garage lol. This is more of a general statement, not directed at anyone specifically.

Take what I've said how you will, it's not an argument or belittling ... just information.

Scott Zindroski

scott@camburg.com

Do you know something I don't ? I would say 90% of Camburg customers have a similar bank account as me lol. I've worked for/with Camburg for almost 19 years now and have gone above and beyond for everyone I've dealt with, so not sure where this is coming from. I moved to Utah back in 2019 so I work more behind the scenes now, but still involved daily. While you're entitled to your opinion and have your reasons, I just strongly disagree with it and I think most others would as well.

Zack reached out to me a couple weeks ago and I gave him my thoughts on the matter and told him to reach out to Carlos at the shop to go over everything and get it figured out since we've got some young blood in the sales dept. Shitty customer service doesn't answer multiple personal DM's on a Sunday.

In regards to his axle issue, I don't know all the specifics & details, but one thing to remember is there are so many variables when you're mixing and matching parts from various companies/manufacturers. The same axles he has could work with no issues in 50+ other rear ends from us. If that wasn't the case the manufacturer of those axles wouldn't do it that way since they sell thousands like that. The variable is how the splines are broached in the spool and how the axles are engaging them. Spline length and position in the spool varies between companies and even styles some times (standard spool vs lightweight). Some have the splines full length, some have medium length splines, many have 2 rows of splines with an open area in the center, etc.

The axles he purchased are the lower cost versions and aren't full body machined and polished like our more expensive 300M axle options. But regardless they should still fit correctly. If both axles are the correct lengths, the fact that the long spline doesn't slip in all the way tells me his spool has longer splines broached in them than most, That's not good or bad, just different. More spline engagement doesn't make it stronger, ultimately the axle diameter and material used is what dictates that. The solution is to machine the backside of the spline area slightly to the minor diameter of the spline to allow it to register deeper into the spool so that the drive plate end is just recessed from the very end. Also we don't typically setup the axles to touch each other in the middle since most spools and lockers don't have splines in the very middle where the axle ends meet. We use a 3/8-24 bolt & jam nut threaded into the end of the axle to adjust total length so you get the correct spline engagement in the spool/locker, drive plate and correct recess from the end of the drive plate. When axles heat up, they grow in length, so you don't want the axle flush as it will expand and put pressure on the center cap.

There's more info than needed here and I'm not gonna go back & forth on this, but I'm more than happy to answer technical questions. Regardless of the cost of the axles, how the splines and axles are machined (we dont machine the axles), fitment issues from various companies and various tolerances, etc. Camburg should do what it takes to make it right within reason. Issues arise and it's how you deal with those issues that counts. That's something all companies and employees should put forth. Customers should also understand that nothing is perfect especially when you're dealing with very tight tolerances and multiple parts all from different companies. Part of the assembly and installation process is dealing with these slight issues that can be easily corrected. Obviously when someone buys a complete rear end from us and we assemble it, these types of fitment issues are corrected/addressed. No different buying a complete LS7 crate engine vs buying everything separate from Summit Racing on black friday and putting it together in your garage lol. This is more of a general statement, not directed at anyone specifically.

Take what I've said how you will, it's not an argument or belittling ... just information.

Scott Zindroski

scott@camburg.com
Scott I have known you for years and always have trusted your opinion and thoughts thank you always for that as my friend. Also for whatever reason my bolt wasent a 3/8-24 it was a course thread bolt but yeah I just wanted it right and was bummed out no hard feeling I just felt with the amount of money I’ve spent I felt like I was treated like asking for stickers bottom line is what it is just was sharing my deal. Scott has always been there for me and Carlos has helped me a lot as well just was pretty upset when I asked if we could make it right and left hanging.

Back