A feasibility question about shocks

Oh4Tahoe

Let’s say you had in your hands a pair of 3”x10” triple bypass bodies with big bypass tubes

Just the bodies, would have to have them built utilizing all the other parts required, would that be worth it?

yes and no. If you can find the parts used, it could be a good deal. If you’re buying all new it’ll likely cost you the same for all the parts vs buying them complete.

yes and no. If you can find the parts used, it could be a good deal. If you’re buying all new it’ll likely cost you the same for all the parts vs buying them complete.
Thanks for the reply, kind of what I was figuring after looking up some of the parts. The big bypass valves were the expensive part that surprised me the most

Your other option is to locate a pair of 3.0” coilovers, smooth bodies, etc that are hammered and cheap and gut them for parts. 10”s would be ideal because then you can rob them of the shafts as well, otherwise any length will work and you can just get new shafts. And You’ll still need new top caps without the resi port, or just put a plug in the top cap if that doesn’t bother you (done it 100 times.. works fine) I’ve done all sorts of wacky swaps with shocks from making 10”s to 14”s with new cylinders and shafts to making smooth body 14”s into coilovers with new threaded cylinders and coil kits. People often forget that the parts are almost always the same inside with the difference being shaft lengths and cylinder lengths. Happy hunting!

Your other option is to locate a pair of 3.0” coilovers, smooth bodies, etc that are hammered and cheap and gut them for parts. 10”s would be ideal because then you can rob them of the shafts as well, otherwise any length will work and you can just get new shafts. And You’ll still need new top caps without the resi port, or just put a plug in the top cap if that doesn’t bother you (done it 100 times.. works fine) I’ve done all sorts of wacky swaps with shocks from making 10”s to 14”s with new cylinders and shafts to making smooth body 14”s into coilovers with new threaded cylinders and coil kits. People often forget that the parts are almost always the same inside with the difference being shaft lengths and cylinder lengths. Happy hunting!
I had that thought as well, good to know. I’ll be keeping an eye out

If they’re kings, MSRP is around $2600 for a pair of prerun series 3.0x10 triple bypass piggybacks. A little more for hose resi. Any big name brand shock I would assume you can absolutely build those bodies out for much less. Buying a beat up set of 3.0’s for the guts is a great option.

The cool thing about building them is you get to put those tubes exactly where you need them for stages and clearance.

Back