Past Clean up 2022 Hodge Rd - July 23rd 8pm

oh man. what a weekend. I am working on a full recap but for now it went like this.
friday- del taco and HOT
saturday - HOT with lots of friends that night
sunday- loaner all day and HOT
Monday - 5am wake up call as dumpsters were picked up. Not hot. Got home to sleep and phone wouldnt stop ringing, really needed to make up some lost sleep.

As the people started to roll in we got to work first with resetting our tables and grills. The pork shoulders had been in for 4 ish hrs and had made it up to 165 degrees so those got foiled along with the Ribs. ( they were probably 2 hrs in ).. 2 hrs until go time.

52244481844_1c59440fab_b.jpg

@bajadog and @capt.hodges Took on the onions and Cilantro.
52244194281_68decaa169_b.jpg

We started making the rice the Rice, warming refried beans, S about 7:40 pm we threw on first 20 lbs of taco meat
52243224772_39b28771ae_b.jpg

@Cleandezert (Adam) cruised over and asked when he should announce food being ready I told him to give us 20. ready opened the flood gates

I pulled the first shoulder off.

@rberlin and I went to work on shredding it... take a look a those baby forks.
52243217547_7d5b79f02c_b.jpg

@theycallmeWALLY and @sdecurti Worked on filling up the first set of tins with Carne Asada and Al Pastor.

@mira_gilhuys was hard a work heating up torts.

It was go time!

52238977593_1f7271dbd4_b.jpg

for the next 2.5 hrs or so It was organized chaos.
52240642170_d7f5c61a2b_b.jpg

We end up cooking about 50 lbs of taco meat,20 lbs pulled pork and probably 60 hot dogs. A couple of bags of chips, 2 large trays of rice, and 2 giant cans of beans.

Shout out to my peeps, couldn't have pulled it off with you guys...

@sdecurti
@capt.hodges
@mira_gilhuys
@Rberlin50
@lux_lander
@RustBucketRacer
@theycallmeWALLY

Thank you Chefs

oh man. what a weekend. I am working on a full recap but for now it went like this.
friday- del taco and HOT
saturday - HOT with lots of friends that night
sunday- loaner all day and HOT
Monday - 5am wake up call as dumpsters were picked up. Not hot. Got home to sleep and phone wouldnt stop ringing, really needed to make up some lost sleep.
Are you panting still?

As always.... Had a good time. It was a good trial run for "Tiffany" ( big Dogo me and the kids were cruzing around with) she did amazing and is such a good dog. Had some good people support our cause and donate and buy some merch. Which goes a long way. And as always, the food didn't disappoint. And somehow my oldest managed to swindle Steve out of $5. Lol
Good times with great peeps.

After the raffle spent a few hrs getting everything cleaned up and put away back into the motorhome... the motivation if it was done before I went to bed It wouldn't have to be done in the heat the next morning. Another motivator was watching the Clean-Dezert crew.. man those guys do work even after the big events that they put together... they have things torn down and packed away in no time.

We did have a little trail fix go on with @Rberlin50 Cross member on his ranger... He sheered one of the bolts at some point on our bottle tree forest/ Barstow del run... He was trying to do what he could with a ratchet strap but could get the shock towers spread out enough so... we pull up the Mouse and hooked up the umbilical cord... it was a group effort @desert_steve on the brakes, I was running the winch, @Rberlin50 was watching the cross member, @theycallmeWALLY is a big slack line guy..... nice socks and sandles bud...
52244206888_97e77975c7_b.jpg

almost pulled the truck over lol but we got it back in place then put the onside back in with bot and then the other side we used some hose clamps I had in my tool bag. Good times haa

Morning came early was up about 6:45 am.... most of our guys were up packing up the topic of a quick run came up......

52238976833_855e59dd5d_b.jpg

52238976708_0e2a7cd100_b.jpg

52239456695_e9ff74a09b_b.jpg

52239250839_e315eaea7a_b.jpg

52239456195_9d01d4572f_b.jpg

52238965521_b53b596f8a_b.jpg

52239454780_29092a9df1_b.jpg

Those hose clamps.... AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
52239249104_fe16ff4860_b.jpg

52238965306_0be105f6f4_b.jpg

52237983367_388de3a98b_b.jpg

52239454500_173cdbbf09_b.jpg

We tear down that night because i know most of my guys want to get home. So If we dont do it saturday night, i will be doing it sunday solo.... which really means i will just leave it because lets be honest i am lazy.

below is our recap from the weekend. All of our pictures are up on the site now.

HODGE ROAD RECAP

For the third year in a row Clean-Dezert took on the challenge of cleaning up the Hodge Road Shooting area. This has always been a unique event for us as we schedule it during the summer in an attempt to “spread out” our events. Being that the temperatures in Barstow are consistently in the triple digits during the day, as well as the fact that we’re attempting to clean an area that’s an active shooting area, we schedule this event during the nighttime. This helps keep our volunteers safe from the unforgiving heat and John Wick wannabes, and the cool(er) desert night provides a different environment (than our normal events) and gives volunteers an event mid-summer when they’re itching to hit the dirt.

Our staff double and triple-checked our supplies, loaded it all up, and hit the road early Friday morning. We got out to Barstow about noon or so, and in typical fashion, we hit up Barstow Del Taco for lunch and to say thanks as they provided gift certificates for our raffle. After filling our bellies, we headed over to Hodge Road to set up and wait for the dumpsters to arrive. This is when we started to question if this was a good idea as the temperature was 106 degrees and our rotund bodies were already getting sweaty just dropping the jacks on the trailer. We all agreed that we never really have great ideas, but that either way they usually end up in lots of laughs and good times. Instead of sending out the loser of our rock-paper-scissor tournament to continue setting up in the heat, we all hid inside the trailer with the AC blasting until the early evening before continuing to set up. Our goal was to fence off most of the entrances near our intended cleaning area in order to push the people who were coming out to shoot further away from where we wanted to host the event. We pounded a couple dozen pieces of rebar into the concrete-hard desert floor and attached the bright orange snow fencing to them to cordon off our area. Our great friends and master chefs over at Bad Lines Good Times (who were going to be cooking the food for our volunteers) showed up early in the evening and the laughs immediately started. It was great to have a night of good conversations and laughs in the desert with friends while having a last-minute rolling magnet assembly party before hundreds of people would show up the next day.

Saturday morning came way too early as the sun rose and we started setting up our supplies. The goal was to get it all done before it was too hot out… we failed. Thanks to some quick thinking, a Clean-Dezert mutiny occurred and our team leader [Adam Filbin] was forced out of the AC’d trailer kicking and screaming to finish setting up by himself while the rest of us watched from the comfort of the cool and chilly trailer as we ate ice cream and laughed at the guy who wanted “tO hAvE aN eVeNt In JuLy” melt outside. We quickly realized our efforts to keep the cordoned-off area free from day-shooting enthusiasts were going to be harder than we anticipated. We had a few not-so-pleasant people pull down our fencing to gain access to the desert, a few people drive right through the middle of the camp, and a few people set up to start shooting right in the middle of our area. After a serious conversation amongst our group, we came to the conclusion that it’s true: common sense really isn’t that common. We had a few pleasant and unpleasant conversations that day, but we had it all handled and were able to keep the majority of the people out and away.

By early afternoon volunteers started flooding the area and sponsors came in with their booths. By 6:30 we couldn’t hold back the crowd of anxious volunteers and sign-ups started. Each participant got their choice of a hat or shirt which was graciously provided by Gravel Kings (if you don’t follow them you need to, they're the kings of giving back to our community), and koozies provided by PCI Race Radios. With sign-ups being so early, we still had to contend with 1 or 2 shooters in our immediate area and didn't feel comfortable sending out the volunteers with them around. The timing worked out great as the Barstow Sheriff's department showed up to help participate in the clean-up. They made a pass around the area and before we knew it they had closed down the entire area to all shooters. Not only did they keep our volunteers safe, but they also put in a ton of work to clean up the area as well, working alongside the rest of the volunteers. For the first time ever, we set up a hot wheels track for all the kids to pick out their favorite car and have fun racing them against the other kids (and possibly some kid-at-heart adults here and there too). Bad Lines Good Times set their sights on dinner, cooking up carne asada and al pastor for tacos, and even surprised us with pulled pork sandwiches and hot dogs too. The delicious feast of food was all provided by Deluxe Window Tint, and the waters to keep everyone hydrated were provided by the man, the myth, the legend, Mr. John Alagna. There are so many stories to tell from the night, but everything went so smooth and quickly that its hard to remember them all. By 10 pm the dumpsters were full and we started the raffle with a dedicated "kids raffle" with prices from Mint400, Heatwave Visual, Amain Hobbies and Dewalt Tools. Then it was off to our huge raffle where we raffled off just over $15k worth of prizes! It’s amazing to see volunteers winning such great products and being rewarded for their hard work.

This was our first event where we were able to provide full tools and supplies. Trail Trust provided trash grabbers, Harbor Freight provided magnetic rollers and buckets, and Total Chaos provided the trash bags. These tools/supplies are invaluable for this area as the amount shells/casings and small trash on the ground is outrageous and overwhelming. American Iron and Metal Recycling brought us 2 recycling dumpsters in addition to the 2 trash-specific dumpsters set up for the weekend. Sunbelt Equipment rentals provided us with a killer light set up this year that turned the dark desert night into day. Over 250 incredible volunteers came out to brave the heat and long night to fill 3 full dumpsters. We pulled out 7,640 lbs of metal and we’re still waiting on the total amount of trash. We also worked with Dirt Designs and Gravel Kings to collect over $2,000 for the family of the 2 young children who passed away due to a horrific hit-and-run accident that took place just over a month ago in Stoddard Wells OHV.

All in all we think this event was a success and the biggest Hodge road cleanup we’ve had to date. We can’t do any of this without the help and support of our volunteers and we appreciate all of you, as well as the many sponsors who take care of those volunteers and help make this all possible. At the end of the day everyone should be proud of what we've all accomplished and let’s keep the momentum going! We believe this to be a very important part of our sport and it feels so great to have the backing from everyone who donates their time and effort to this cause.

Saturday morning we got up, made some breakfast burritos and got the trucks ready for a little run before the clean up. Ended up being one hell of a time!
View attachment 2949
View attachment 2950
View attachment 2951

View attachment 2953
View attachment 2954
View attachment 2955
View attachment 2956
View attachment 2957

Just shy of a 50 mile run. Definitely enough miles to scratch the itch. Don’t let the total time fool you. I left it tracking on accident when we got back to camp.
Holy crap we almost did 50 miles 👀 no wonder I was getting tired 😂😂 and it was like 106*

As the people started to roll in we got to work first with resetting our tables and grills. The pork shoulders had been in for 4 ish hrs and had made it up to 165 degrees so those got foiled along with the Ribs. ( they were probably 2 hrs in ).. 2 hrs until go time.

52244481844_1c59440fab_b.jpg

@bajadog and @capt.hodges Took on the onions and Cilantro.
52244194281_68decaa169_b.jpg

We started making the rice the Rice, warming refried beans, S about 7:40 pm we threw on first 20 lbs of taco meat
52243224772_39b28771ae_b.jpg

@Cleandezert (Adam) cruised over and asked when he should announce food being ready I told him to give us 20. ready opened the flood gates

I pulled the first shoulder off.

@rberlin and I went to work on shredding it... take a look a those baby forks.
52243217547_7d5b79f02c_b.jpg

@theycallmeWALLY and @sdecurti Worked on filling up the first set of tins with Carne Asada and Al Pastor.

@mira_gilhuys was hard a work heating up torts.

It was go time!

52238977593_1f7271dbd4_b.jpg

for the next 2.5 hrs or so It was organized chaos.
52240642170_d7f5c61a2b_b.jpg

We end up cooking about 50 lbs of taco meat,20 lbs pulled pork and probably 60 hot dogs. A couple of bags of chips, 2 large trays of rice, and 2 giant cans of beans.

Shout out to my peeps, couldn't have pulled it off with you guys...

@sdecurti
@capt.hodges
@mira_gilhuys
@Rberlin50
@lux_lander
@RustBucketRacer
@theycallmeWALLY

Thank you Chefs
Yes chef 👨‍🍳

Back