Vehicle Change of Address

Mullen

While this question currently revolves around plans for my V, I know at some point I want to put a spicy motor in the Tundra. I know that there are several CA ZIP codes that do not require bi-annual smog and my buddy has a house in one of these areas. My plan is to keep the V and Tundra at this location, such that I can do a change of physical address for them and mailing address as a PO Box in that town, but keep my license at my current house address. Has anyone done something similar? PM me if needed.

Before it's asked, there is no way the wife wants to move out of CA or to BFE, CA.

Not sure how it works in CA but here in AZ I can have a registered address and a seperate mailing address wherever I want. For example all my diesels are registered at a none emissions address and I have my mailing address set to my primary address in the valley. Might be worth looking into.

Not sure how it works in CA but here in AZ I can have a registered address and a seperate mailing address wherever I want. For example all my diesels are registered at a none emissions address and I have my mailing address set to my primary address in the valley. Might be worth looking into.
It's similar here, but most of my research tells me that both the physical and mailing address must be in the non-smog ZIP for this to work.

It's similar here, but most of my research tells me that both the physical and mailing address must be in the non-smog ZIP for this to work.
My buddy has no issues to date. He has his rig registered to a friends cabin and has it as the mailing address. You are able to do everything online these days. He just has them bring the mail to him whenever they visit the place. Might be a solution to just have your friend mail you the mail.

South Dakota and Bob's your uncle.
In CA this wouldnt fly for long. Once you get noticed, IE a ticket or warning or something and are in the system you have 30 days to register in state or things get complicated. CA wants their money. There is even a tip line to squeal on people that dont have CA plates.

although I have not had my CA plate on my truck in over 2 years due to the hitch receiver being behind where the plate mounts. I have never been hassled by a cop for no plates haha. I have it in the truck and everything is legit so im not worried. plus it only gets like 5k a year and Im in the bay so theres plenty other things for them to do.

In CA this wouldnt fly for long. Once you get noticed, IE a ticket or warning or something and are in the system you have 30 days to register in state or things get complicated. CA wants their money. There is even a tip line to squeal on people that dont have CA plates.

although I have not had my CA plate on my truck in over 2 years due to the hitch receiver being behind where the plate mounts. I have never been hassled by a cop for no plates haha. I have it in the truck and everything is legit so im not worried. plus it only gets like 5k a year and Im in the bay so theres plenty other things for them to do.

I've always just gone to AAA Auto Club and filled out form for them to change my address in the past. That being said my car is registered in South Dakota because i got it for a great deal since cat code it wouldn't pass CA smog

I am more worried about getting caught in the desert truck as it draws much more attention than my V, but with the cam, long tubes, E85, etc., the V will start to draw more attention than it currently does.

Yeah I know people with loud LS swapped Prerunners that never had a problem BUT they drive very nice and not hard on it when on the street to avoid drawing attention.

i am like 95% sure you can register your car at that address and forward your mail to your house. My buddy just registered his bronco at my address in borrego springs (even though i dont have a physical dwelling) and we are going to see what it does next year when his smog is due.

When I first built my Tacoma it was supercharged 3.4 headers. No cats fuel cell 100% not smog legal and I just got a bypass around the CA smog system where it would give me a one-year extension. Shoot me a p.m. if interested in exactly how I would do that so then you would keep your CA plates and registration but not have to deal with smog

One of my friends does exactly what you mentioned Brent. He lives in Ventura and registers his vehicles down somewhere near glamis at a buddies property that doesn’t require smog.

When I first built my Tacoma it was supercharged 3.4 headers. No cats fuel cell 100% not smog legal and I just got a bypass around the CA smog system where it would give me a one-year extension. Shoot me a p.m. if interested in exactly how I would do that so then you would keep your CA plates and registration but not have to deal with smog
hahah i do that now.

Back