Summer wheeling in Ouray CO?

gtrainor21

No spring trips for me this year so I can get caught up on some things, so I'm looking into some summer trip planning. Figured I'd gauge interest into a SW Colorado trip for this summer... Ouray, Silverton, Telluride, Lake City, etc.

I work a 20 on, 10 off schedule and my days off generally land at the beginning of every month, plus I'm usually at my parents place in Ouray at least once or twice a summer. The best months to go are July through September, October is cool for seeing the colors but can be a gamble on the passes depending on how cold the storms are coming through. 4th of July is always fun but its usually super busy, camping spots can be few and far between and hotel rooms are expensive... especially if you don't plan far enough ahead. There's never a shortage of things to do up there though, holiday weekend or not.

Lets make something happen! I've lived the better part of the past 8 years in Ouray so hit me with any thoughts or questions. I could make a novel of things to do, places to see but if you're familiar with the area you probably already understand. I'm going to leave the dates free to discuss since I probably have more free time than others. Like said, my schedule gives me a decent chunk of time off at the very tail end/ beginning of every month.

Last edited:
Most likely would be a small group of people who actually make the effort to attend.

With that said. Your Parents placein Ouray. Is there any 'land' to camp on or would it be best to try and stay in Silverton where the rates are way more reasonable.

sounds rad.... wife has been wanting to check out CO... We are headed up to Idaho for the 4th of July some time in Aug would be more ideal for us... I'll follow along.. Hopefully, we can swing it!

Most likely would be a small group of people who actually make the effort to attend.

With that said. Your Parents placein Ouray. Is there any 'land' to camp on or would it be best to try and stay in Silverton where the rates are way more reasonable.
I've never complained about a small group! You might be better off staying in Silverton if the rates are more reasonable, my parents place is a small house on two city lots in town so there isn't much room, we've had my grandparents RV there before but it was like a little single axle 18 footer. There's dry camping everywhere between Ouray and Silverton as well, Ironton is good for for large RVs... there's more remote areas if your looking for privacy in a small camper or tent if you go up into the amphitheater, or run up to angel creek or thistledown.

My parents neighbor does the air BNB thing with her place, if we can anchor down a date I can reach out to her and see what she would do on a block of rooms if anyone would rather do that.

Also even though my parents place is small and still under construction, there is a pretty nifty two car garage on the property that we keep a welder and a handful of tools/supplies in for any reason we need to bang out a little alcohol fueled repair session...

We go once a year over the 4th of july and stay in silverton. Absolutely love it up there.
I got a lot of shit from my CO buddies last year for not being there over the 4th so either way I'll likely be in Ouray this year for it. Lets hit a pass or two! I need to spend more time on the Silverton side anyway

So I went ahead and figured out what my days off this summer are (probably should have done that before starting this thread) so I'll post them up and see if they would align with anyone else's schedules.

June 27th to July 6th
July 27th to August 5th (maybe, me and a few others are turning 30 so we might be doing idiot things in Havasu or Powell)
August 26th to September 4th

Update:
Currently in Ouray, been a solid winter up here. I'll keep an eye on the road and bridge pages between Ouray and San Juan counties but from the looks of it they will be hard pressed to have everything open by the 4th of July.

Thanks for sharing.

If anyone is on the fence about making this trip happen... make it happen. Ouray and the whole region is worth visiting in everyway. Bring your subuaru if that's all you have... just go

s4yeki1pn1g51.jpg

We usually hit Taylor Park beginning of August cuz thats when the snow is melted enough to get through the higher passes. Always wanted to cruise aound the Ouray area, I have heard those areas are not as SXS friendly but dont really care. lol

We usually hit Taylor Park beginning of August cuz thats when the snow is melted enough to get through the higher passes. Always wanted to cruise aound the Ouray area, I have heard those areas are not as SXS friendly but dont really care. lol
Silverton is. You can actually drive in town and straight up to a lot of trails from Silverston.

Silverton is. You can actually drive in town and straight up to a lot of trails from Silverston.
I was told silverton is one of the no sxs on asphalt period towns. Still have a lot to explore in Taylor too. we do a 10 day dry camp trip zero cell service for 10 days is pretty sweet.

Is there anywhere near Silverton thats dispersed camping or all rv parks?
Silverton has designated routes from in town to the trail head. Ouray and Telluride are no go for UTVs from my understanding.

I also believe you can dispersed camp just at the trail head over where Silverton is. Maybe in Hancook Gulch?

Silverton has designated routes from in town to the trail head. Ouray and Telluride are no go for UTVs from my understanding.

I also believe you can dispersed camp just at the trail head over where Silverton is. Maybe in Hancook Gulch?

Silverton passed a law back in sept of 2021 that will no longer allow UTV's to travel through town. you have to trailer them from any in town camping to the roads designated below. Only one campground in town is able to have you ride right out of camp as its all the way at the very north end of town.

Is there anywhere near Silverton thats dispersed camping or all rv parks?
Theres a few areas but id rather just stay at the RV park. Get a damn 4runner already, ya bitch. Taylor park is FAR easier for dispersed camping.

Silverton passed a law back in sept of 2021 that will no longer allow UTV's to travel through town. you have to trailer them from any in town camping to the roads designated below. Only one campground in town is able to have you ride right out of camp as its all the way at the very north end of town.

Beat me to it. All the car/truck vs SxS shit talking aside, I hate seeing the SxS regulation get stricter in the area. Unfortunately this is another case of the few disrespectful people ruining something good for a whole group. a very large majority of the locals want an across the board SxS ban after how nuts summer of 2020 was. I guess its easier to oust a whole group of seasonal revenue than it is to post up a sheriffs deputy and write speeding tickets, etc.

Sorry, rant over

Theres pretty good camping at Ironton Park too, its between Ouray and Silverton but you're right at the head of Corkscrew Gulch... which ties in with plenty of trails from Engineer Pass to Animas Forks.

Theres a few areas but id rather just stay at the RV park. Get a damn 4runner already, ya bitch. Taylor park is FAR easier for dispersed camping.

Beat me to it. All the car/truck vs SxS shit talking aside, I hate seeing the SxS regulation get stricter in the area. Unfortunately this is another case of the few disrespectful people ruining something good for a whole group. a very large majority of the locals want an across the board SxS ban after how nuts summer of 2020 was. I guess its easier to oust a whole group of seasonal revenue than it is to post up a sheriffs deputy and write speeding tickets, etc.

Sorry, rant over
Oh I totally understand the extra rules and hate towards the sxs. Most of the people that own and ride them have no business being in one. They could take financing them away and that would weed out a lot of the trash right off the bat. :ROFLMAO:

Back