Shock Coatings

Caidan97

What have you guys done for shock coatings?

I recently put these shocks on and after only raining a few times they are already rusting. These are old shocks and for that reason I would prefer not to spend a ton of money to cerakote them.

I’ve heard of people using steel it. Is this an effective option? and would they need to be bare metal before painting?

Attachments

• IMG_5098.jpeg
    IMG_5098.jpeg
    288.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5099.jpeg
    IMG_5099.jpeg
    297.8 KB · Views: 26
Zink with a clear coat holds up the best for the price but it's a lot of work to strip all the parts off the shocks. I charge $28.00 to Zink a cylinder, or you can Steel-It yourself.

Attachments

• 4.0a.jpg
    4.0a.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_6473.JPG
    IMG_6473.JPG
    309 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_6726.JPG
    IMG_6726.JPG
    312.7 KB · Views: 28
What have you guys done for shock coatings?

I recently put these shocks on and after only raining a few times they are already rusting. These are old shocks and for that reason I would prefer not to spend a ton of money to cerakote them.

I’ve heard of people using steel it. Is this an effective option? and would they need to be bare metal before painting?
One thing i would mention is it looks like its not just your shocks getting fuzzy. That chrome bracket above your resi is starting to rust too, it looks like you might live near some salt. One good practice is to wash down the truck after each adventure, even the dirt in the south west has salts and nasty little things in it, add moisture and boom you have corrosion. Making sure the metal is sealed up is the best way to prevent rust and corrosion, even car wash soap with carnauba wax can help keep the orange demon at bay. We actually use steel-it on our welded on rod ends for OEM and special applications, we have found that it holds up the best out of all of the "paints"

Back