RIVET NUT SIZE VS. DRILL BIT/HOLE SIZE?

WW_RANGER_X

I've only used rivet nuts a few times (I find myself using them more now) and have always got mixed information about what drill bit to use with what rivet nut. Even doing a simple google search gives a lot of different info. For example, a chart I found shows to use a 1/2" drill bit for a 5/16" riv nut. So I did as practice run on some scrap and it felt super sloppy, almost like it was going to pull through. I did another with a 29/64" drill bit and it worked just about perfect. Does anyone have a trusted chart that you use for reference?

I just measure the rivnut with calipers and then grab the same size drill bit.
This is the way. As with most things in life, the tighter the hole the better.

I go one step further and toss the correct size drill bit in the bag with them. I use a cheap set of bits from HF, so I keep my good bits as a set.

The drill diameter varies depending on the manufacturer/style/spec of the rivnut.

I use my calipers and check the diameter of the smooth section of the riv nut than drill that size. If I tap in the rivnut that's a good fit and works perfect

I also have all the size drill bits in fractions AND Numbers AND Letters but never have needed anything more than fractional drill bits since they need to be tight but not super tight.

Back