Ranger/Explorer TTB/TIB measurements

Cameronswmp9

Looking for a few measurements for an upcoming project, and bench building it now.

Looking at left to right for the coilover mounting on the engine cage (outside of a custom cage, I imagine an off the shelf engine cage, Camburg, Giant, etc would all be pretty close) and the left to right measurement of coilover mounting on the beams. OE and extra width beams all ok, just to see different angles. Pictures of coilover angles are perfectly acceptable as well!

Planning a super duty axle swap under an explorer but based on just frame width and knuckle width, where many people mount coilovers on the axle, there's about 16 of horizontal separation, which would put a coilover at about a 45* angle based on my 5th grade math, unless it's stupid tall with no droop.

I can't find any build threads except leaf spring builds which don't help me any at all.

Last edited:
I would start with atleast the vehicle and axle you want, then build the arms. Then cycle the axle and see what length and diameter shocks you can fit under the hood, or through the hood depending on what state you are in.

I would start with atleast the vehicle and axle you want, then build the arms. Then cycle the axle and see what length and diameter shocks you can fit under the hood, or through the hood depending on what state you are in.
You're not wrong. However I was hoping someone had these to see if it was viable option before jumping all in.

And it's not the link arms I'm looking at, it's width between mounts of coilover mounting to ensure angles are good. I don't have an issue with angle in shocks, but they need to be efficient and work, and at potential 45* angles they would be anything but efficient

Back