LAB2V 2024

Gearmonkey23

Couple of us are looking to ride LAB2V this year for our first time... any of you guys done it in the past years? We are all 30+ B class kind of riders. Would love to pick some brains on routes and logistics, and see if anyone else would want to get in on our group. Looks like a killer time!
Our usual goone squad:

Attachments

• received_909664114081996.jpeg
    received_909664114081996.jpeg
    723.5 KB · Views: 16
  • received_761441032195573.jpeg
    received_761441032195573.jpeg
    443.1 KB · Views: 16
Agreed. Looks like a damn good time. I’ve been thinking about putting together a group of TW200 riders to do it. I have no idea what level rider I am. D? On an F or G bike? 😂

But I sure do like to have a good time! Haha

Oooof haha. I don't think ide ride a tw200 to the store and back, let alone through 60 miles of whoops first thing in the AM lol.
Haha! A bunch of us at work have them. Everything from brand new riders to FAST ex-racers… nothing but smiles!

I rode LA B2V in 2006 for my 50th birthday for a "check the box" on my bucket list. Rode my 2003 Honda XR400 Baja Kitted to be street plated. I installed a larger desert gas tank for range (I still have that XR). I did the ride with my brother in law and with a fellow member of Ventura County Sheriff's Search & Rescue. Since he and I were EMTs, the ride organizers had us ride sweep to collect / treat any riders who biffed. It was an uneventful but scenic two day ride from the LA area to Big Bear to Barstow on the 1st day. The 2nd day was the run from Barstow to Vegas. I remember they had rangers in the tortoise crossing area with radar guns to be sure we weren't riding more than 15 mph or some ridiculous slow speed through the soft sand. We had no flats or mechanical issues. There were preplanned stops for gas along the way where you would leave the course to get to the gas stations so your bikes have be street legal / plated, registered, insured and you have your M1 license. We grabbed a motel room in Barstow that night versus camping. Others on this BLGT forum must have ridden LA B to V more recently. It was an epic ride for us!

Sounds like a blast!
Does someone actually check for your m1? I've got the permit, just never went back in for the license because all my bikes walk the line lol.

Man, 2006 was a while ago but I remember they gave my bike a look over to be sure it was street legal (barely), had a spark arrestor exhaust, was plated and I had registration and proof of insurance. Without a current permit or M1, I'm not sure you could get the insurance. I'm not much help...

Ya my bike is plated and all the good stuff, insured, just have a permit rather than the m1. Should be fine.

I rode this last year for the first time. Be prepared for A LOT of sand. Get very comfortable riding sand! Day one is pretty quick in my opinion, espescially if you don't do the hard routes. I was in Barstow by about 2pm, and I was taking my time. Day two is much longer. Don't take a lot of long breaks, keep moving. I didn't get to the lunch stop until almost 4pm and it was dark by the time I got into Vegas. Once the sun goes down it gets pretty cold out there so bring a jacket, keep it in your pack or strapped on the back of your bike. Bring a balaclava, not only helps with the cold in the mornings but also with dust, there is a lot of dust at the start of the day when people aren't spread out. Try to get your gps route the night before day 1. The flyer said the gps routes would be given out in the morning, but people were able to get it the night before, it will save a ton of time, the line was very long the morning of day 1. Hit the trail early and don't pass up any gas stops. The banquet is great, lots of free stuff and give aways and good food. I will definitlely be doing it again. It was pretty exhausting (I'm 52 and not as spry as I used to be) but I really enjoyed it. Have fun!

Back