JAWBONE CANYON TO LAKE ISABELLA

WW_RANGER_X

Would like to look into Jawbone to Lake Isabella. Possibly early May? Its going to depend on the weather and the condition of the "trail" at the time. I know that area has been getting hammered with rain and snow all year. If it doesn't work out in May, maybe try it in early fall. Anyone ever run it? Its rated easy (3/10), 50ish miles long with a 5 hour completion time (according to onX) and an elevation change from 2500 ft. to over 8000 ft.

Camp Friday night could be in a couple places. Either in Jawbone canyon OHV area right where the trail starts, or start further east and camp around Cal City, which would add a few more dirt miles, time and fun. Hit trail Saturday AM and make it to Lake Isabella by Saturday afternoon/evening. From there we could plan a few different options. Group dinner at a local restaurant? Find fast food, eat and part ways? Find a place to camp? What I'd like to do is find a dry camp ground somewhere up there to stay Saturday night till Sunday morning, then head home.

This would be a chill cruise with beer stops along the way. Terrain is pretty mild compared to what we are used to from what I've been reading. I'd be taking my Raptor with most likely my wife and 5 year old son.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Would like to look into Jawbone to Lake Isabella. Possibly early May? Its going to depend on the weather and the condition of the "trail" at the time. I know that area has been getting hammered with rain and snow all year. If it doesn't work out in May, maybe try it in early fall. Anyone ever run it? Its rated easy (3/10), 50ish miles long with a 5 hour completion time (according to onX) and an elevation change from 2500 ft. to over 8000 ft.

Camp Friday night could be in a couple places. Either in Jawbone canyon OHV area right where the trail starts, or start further east and camp around Cal City, which would add a few more dirt miles, time and fun. Hit trail Saturday AM and make it to Lake Isabella by Saturday afternoon/evening. From there we could plan a few different options. Group dinner at a local restaurant? Find fast food, eat and part ways? Find a place to camp? What I'd like to do is find a dry camp ground somewhere up there to stay Saturday night till Sunday morning, then head home.

This would be a chill cruise with beer stops along the way. Terrain is pretty mild compared to what we are used to from what I've been reading. I'd be taking my Raptor with most likely my wife and 5 year old son.

Thoughts?
deff interested

Kern River Brewery has great food

I know @Adventure Endeavor has done this going up to Kernville.

I ran from Barstow to Randsburg to Inyokern up to a mine behind Indian Wells, then Bird Springs Cyn rd into Weldon in the snow once. It was fun, would do again.

Are you going up through piute mountain or going around?
The map shows the trail starts just west of Jawbone canyon OHV area on Jawbone Canyon Rd, which then intersects with Piute Mtn rd and then eventually turns into Saddle Springs Which leads you into town. So I think the route I have mapped goes through Piute Mountain.

I have this trip mapped from adelanto to lake Isabella, and we started to do it last year. It was raining in lake Isabella, so we headed into Death Valley instead. Should be a super cool trip!!!

I have this trip mapped from adelanto to lake Isabella, and we started to do it last year. It was raining in lake Isabella, so we headed into Death Valley instead. Should be a super cool trip!!!
The only issue there is Edwards.. Ask Steve girl this weekend about the time I lead him and @Adventure Endeavor down and motorcycle trail and ended up stuck on hill climb pinned up against a barbed wire fence. 1 am or something.. 🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡

that was neat
10527657933_396afd276c_b.jpg

later that weekend shit got weird...
10626799295_65903fd4fe_b.jpg

10626759546_fe7bb65525_b.jpg

Back