Idaho Blazer

zrex2

Hey! My name is Rex and I live in St. Anthony, Idaho. I have a 1997 Chevy Blazer ZR2 and I love it. It's not the cleanest but it sure is a beast. My goal is to slowly turn it into a precrawler build, with a lot of custom fabrication (i'm broke). I have yet to take it to the car wash.Blazer.jpg

Hey! My name is Rex and I live in St. Anthony, Idaho. I have a 1997 Chevy Blazer ZR2 and I love it. It's not the cleanest but it sure is a beast. My goal is to slowly turn it into a precrawler build, with a lot of custom fabrication (i'm broke). I have yet to take it to the car wash.View attachment 29127
Welcome dude!

Some other Idahoians on here.

@the bodj had one of these blazers years back

what direction do you plan to go with the suspension, mod IFS, TTB, or straight axle?

I've owned all the 90s big manufactures of mini truck and SUV platforms and so far the Sonoma/S10/ Blazer is my favorite,

what direction do you plan to go with the suspension, mod IFS, TTB, or straight axle?

I've owned all the 90s big manufactures of mini truck and SUV platforms and so far the Sonoma/S10/ Blazer is my favorite,
I’m keeping it IFS for a while, but eventually i’m either gonna mod the IFS or go the TTB route. I’m leaning toward TTB because I had a Ranger before and i loved the suspension.

It would be cool to find some Idaho buddies on here.

I've been following his Sonoma build on here. That thing is wicked. The S10 platform is way underrated.

I freaking loved my Blazer. I absolutely hate the 4.3L/4L60e, though.

1728405248449.jpeg

1728405272726.jpeg

The two doors look way better than four, but I really wanted a four door truck for my build, hence the Sonoma.

I freaking loved my Blazer. I absolutely hate the 4.3L/4L60e, though.

View attachment 29144

View attachment 29145

The two doors look way better than four, but I really wanted a four door truck for my build, hence the Sonoma.
That thing is sweet. Did you fab that tire rack yourself? Mines kinda janky so I'm thinking about building a new one.

What do you hate about the 4.3/4L60e?

That thing is sweet. Did you fab that tire rack yourself? Mines kinda janky so I'm thinking about building a new one.

What do you hate about the 4.3/4L60e?

Yeah I did, and the bumpers, too. The lower tire rack pivots on a trailer spindle, and the upper is a bushing that I made a mount for off the oem upper mount.

I've now had two of those motor/trans combos, and they are just dogs. No power, constantly searching for the right gear, either screaming high RPM in one gear or too low in the next gear so no power. Also wonky fueling system. the spider injectors are weird. There are people who race with them, but I just despise them.

4l60s work off a hope and a prayer but in my opinion I love the 4.3 for the thought behind it being a 350 sbc with a center bank taken out so a lot of 350 parts can go into 4.3

4l60s work off a hope and a prayer but in my opinion I love the 4.3 for the thought behind it being a 350 sbc with a center bank taken out so a lot of 350 parts can go into 4.3

Kind of? They are definitely similar to a 350, but still different. Realistically what would you share between the two? Intake manifold, exhaust manifold/headers, cam, crank? Nope. There's enough pistons, connecting rods, water pumps... on the market for the 4.3L to not need to use 350 parts.

Edit: I guess if you wanted rockers, springs, etc. I wouldn't take the time to build a hot 4.3L when an LS swap is so easy

Last edited:
Back