Prelander rabbit hole

For steering you can't do hydro assist with the rack. You can convert to a steering box with ram assist. I personally never had an issue with my rack on my race kit since that steering location is better than stock to optimize the bump steer curve. Also without pushing the front end forward 1-1/2" or so the 37s are gonna need the door hinges cut to clear a bump and partial turn ESPECIALLY without a lift spindle. Going to a lift spindle would alleviate a ton of those problems BUT isn't possible with the 4x4 kit and stock spindles, which is the major draw back of these 4x4 trucks and retaining 4x4. Going to a portal would help but cost prohibitive and would require a complete front end redo.

Also going to 37s with stock unit bearings and stock front diff I feel will be the weak link and the benefits of 1" more ground clearance might bite you when you're broken because of that.

Very good points. I’ve looked a little into the ram assist conversion, I think this is something I’ll maybe save up for to do down the road. We did cycle the suspension with the tire on at full bump and steer. It’s damn close but we’re clear, we did end up cutting right into the door hinge. I feel like if I’m ever at full bump and steer I’ve got bigger problems going on. Definitely some draw backs with trying to retain the 4WD, but I want it haha. Still needs to be my daily vehicle for shuttling mountain biking, fishing, hunting. The GFC and not having a full cage yet will be the biggest limiting factor for how hard I really push the truck for now.

I was close to ordering the 37x10x17 Tensor tires a few months back, anyone here running these? Would save a ton of weight and probably help with the life of my rack. Only concern there is getting pulled over and getting busted for them not being DOT.

My Tacoma didn't clear at full bump and lock BUT it cleared at full bump and about half turning and i never had a it rub. With proper shock tuning you shouldn't be in the situation ever where you are at Full bump when turning, that should be just after a jump when going straight, OR your'e wrecking the truck where tire rub is the least of your worries.

While I was away on a trip my buddy Dan and three other homies went hard for 3 days, tackling the rock sliders, roll bar, more bed cage work, some sheet metal work, and figured out how we can mount this camper. Having the roll bar come between the cab and the bedsides ended up being the perfect gap filler we needed to line up the axle to the rear fenders. I still can’t believe the boys rally’d so hard while I was away to get this project closer to the finish line, might be driving this thing in a couple week! I can’t wait!

Attachments

• IMG_2461.jpeg
    IMG_2461.jpeg
    402.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2460.jpeg
    IMG_2460.jpeg
    366.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2471.jpeg
    IMG_2471.jpeg
    331.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2470.jpeg
    IMG_2470.jpeg