Hello from Utah

kyle_smiles

Hey all, just thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Kyle, I heard about this forum from a post over on Race Dezert. I remember DR but never hung out there much. I desert race occasionally, mostly as a codriver, spend more time at the races volunteering and as a photographer. Honestly, I enjoy the high speed camping trips more than the races. I live in the Salt Lake area.

A group of ten of us started doing fast overnight trips about eight years ago, and they've turned into an annual thing where we typically cover about 1000 miles of off road in a week. Utah, Nevada, Wyoming, Idaho are our typical stomping grounds. We have a mix of Baja Bugs, Jeeps, Toyotas and Fords.

This seems like a cool forum of like minded individuals, so I thought I'd stop in and say hi and see what I can learn.

First of all.... Thanks for joining the forum.

Second of all.... Can we be best friends? 1000 mile Offroad? I think we need to get out of state more!

Exactly how the core group of us all got together. Racing is great and all but for I myself I can't race on my own. So I try to get in a car whenever the opportunity presents itself, but it's far and few between. I'd much rather spend a weekend or a day out in a truck just cruising around and checking out the wild country.

Here's a video below of a solo trip my wife and dogs attempted a few years back.

Last edited:
Hey all, just thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Kyle, I heard about this forum from a post over on Race Dezert. I remember DR but never hung out there much. I desert race occasionally, mostly as a codriver, spend more time at the races volunteering and as a photographer. Honestly, I enjoy the high speed camping trips more than the races. I live in the Salt Lake area.

A group of ten of us started doing fast overnight trips about eight years ago, and they've turned into an annual thing where we typically cover about 1000 miles of off road in a week. Utah, Nevada, Wyoming, Idaho are our typical stomping grounds. We have a mix of Baja Bugs, Jeeps, Toyotas and Fords.

This seems like a cool forum of like minded individuals, so I thought I'd stop in and say hi and see what I can learn.
dudeeee... sounds like we need to assemble the squads and plan a little extravaganza!

Our group of buddies ( The DMC) have been doing basically verbatim what you just said but in CA, AZ, NV or last 10 or so years.

There's a whole shit load of write ups (Trip Reports section ) that we brought over from DR

a few of my favorites

Barstow to grand canyon

my bachelor party in suits 😂

Ghost spring 500

Do you have any trip reports from past trips anywhere?

Look forward to seeing ya around here!

Elliott

I had some write ups on Facebook, but then I quit FB so those are all gone. We don't do videos or publish our routes or anything, we really just keep the memories to ourselves or share them over campfires when we meet others of a like mind. It's more therapy for us than anything. We just thought we were the only ones who did trips like this while going fast. I think we've even called it prelanding from time to time out of jest.

I'll have to post up some pics and some brief summaries of our trips when I get some time. My favorites have been from SLC to the Grand Canyon and Elko to Bodie. A good trip is one where everyone's car makes it to the end without a catastrophic failure. But even those make for good stories!

So rad dude!

We have a spot for Trip reports: https://forum.badlinesgoodtimes.com/forums/trip-reports.7/

Would love it if you posted it there so stuff like this is easier for people to find and read about.

I think you hit the nail on the head. These are your stories and share them however best you feel. Geotagging has made a real mess of 'popular' spots but luckily for guys like us we typically don't go to the popular areas haha. My goal is usually to try and educate or share my experiences without too much detail. Basically try to encourage others to get out there and worry less about the destination and focus more on the journey. It is something that gets lost so easily. As you said it's theory and I think you were talking about the journey not the destination.

Here's a trip we did quite a few years back. Video is pretty bad but so is my memory. Which is why I like to film things.

The wife and I are looking to move to Utah. Spent the week of New years out there and loved it. In glad to see I'll be able to find some offroad friends out there because besides passing through hurricane I didn't see any offroad rigs during our stay in SLC.

Rad dude.

Utah looks very pretty. Don't know much more about it then that haha. I've been to SLC once for a quick work trip. It seemed like a lot of people have more rock crawlers out in that area.

Back