Electronics

Mullen

It's time to get my electronics dialed in. This is a dreadful time for me as electrical work is my biggest weakest. I'm posting this thread for all of my pedestrian electrical questions as I build everything out.

The first step is to go to bed-mounted dual batteries with a Blue Sea switch. I'm planning on a Blue Sea 9001E switch. Since I need to get batteries before wiring anything, that's where I'll start.

Has anyone run dual Interstate Batteries from Costco? I figure at 1/3 the cost of the typical Optima / Odyssey and Costco's no bullshit return policy, this would be hard to beat provided the batteries don't destroy themselves. For what it's worth, I've had one of these under the hood of my desert truck since 2018 without issue and having a second would give me some extra peace of mind, plus would only cost me ~$140 to add to my current setup. If vibration is of concern, I could isolate the battery boxes on rubber pads to help. I'd rather not spend $800 on batteries if I can help it.

For reference the current demand will be:
  • FRONT: 3 Hella Rally 4000 non-HID (I've had them for probably 10 years) or new Baja Designs LED lights (LP6 or LP9 or 20" bar behind the grill) or 4 Chinese Hella-style LED from my old truck or keep the current 4 Baja Design squadron sports. If I go with options 1 - 3, I will likely use 2 squadrons on the fenders below the A pillar for side lighting and convert one to a dust light.
  • REAR: 1 LED dust light, 2 mini-LED in bed
  • INSIDE: 2 mini-LED dome, double DIN radio with backup camera, Rugged race radio, Lowrance or iPad for GPS eventually
  • UNDER HOOD: an inverter, on-board air compressor (maybe), 2 mini-LED lights
After this, we can talk about lighting switches, relays, wiring, pass through, and all the fun shit.

i run dual interstates in my boat. theyre bad ass! my optima in my truck sucks and im gonna switch to an interstate in that....just one though

I got some Napa agm batteries for my ford but they aren't cheap at like $200 each but should work great. Also Costco sells interstate batteries now for cheaper than AutoZone duralast shit batteries so that's what I get when needed for my regular vehicles.

It's time to get my electronics dialed in. This is a dreadful time for me as electrical work is my biggest weakest. I'm posting this thread for all of my pedestrian electrical questions as I build everything out.

The first step is to go to bed-mounted dual batteries with a Blue Sea switch. I'm planning on a Blue Sea 9001E switch. Since I need to get batteries before wiring anything, that's where I'll start.

batteries are like a tank of water, you loose water from using it when you are not filling it (aka the alternator) or there is a leak. find a battery you are confident in and run it.

the amount of accesories load matters more for the alternator as you need to ensure you are adding more than you are taking.

if youve had good luck with the costco one, just add another. one thing to keep in mid as most diesel owners know, if you are not isolating them from usage pairing an old battery with a new battery is a good way to reduce the life expectancy of the new battery. id move the one in there now to the another DD and put two freshies in there.

Back