cali 300 barstow

charlie brown

did not really pay attention but it is this weekend. i am not going especially when i heard that they are closing down the Barstow desert and charging to even camp.

I've been to the Mint and had a great time. I've seen a lot of hate for the Martelli's on RDC (don't post coverage of the events and on the forum) and here on this thread.

Is there a backstory to this? Sorry if it's common knowledge, I'm not from the area.

I've been to the Mint and had a great time. I've seen a lot of hate for the Martelli's on RDC (don't post coverage of the events and on the forum) and here on this thread.

Is there a backstory to this? Sorry if it's common knowledge, I'm not from the are

Not sure all the problems others have had, but they did some shady stuff to clean-dezert and took advantage of our non profit when they asked us for help. I had half a dozen friends warn me to not work with them when we did, and i should of listened.

I know others have thier stories as well.

Slash X let them have it a few days ago too.....I've never been a hardcore Desert Racing spectator, but they are definitely taking some heat all over the place.

For those who have their popcorn ready....

I am torn here with the slash X deal.

On one hand CA brough thousands of people to the area, which would not of been there without them... So that should be a busy weekend for slash x and they should of capitilized on the influx of people.

On the other hand, people cant cruise through desert to get there. Seems like CA 300 could of put some sort of pit or area to view the race to push people to this area.

I dont know how they get away with closing the desert we pay for, just to charge people to use it to view the race. I get the safety aspect... but then you need to charge people to watch? I dont know man.

I am torn here with the slash X deal.

On one hand CA brough thousands of people to the area, which would not of been there without them... So that should be a busy weekend for slash x and they should of capitilized on the influx of people.

On the other hand, people cant cruise through desert to get there. Seems like CA 300 could of put some sort of pit or area to view the race to push people to this area.

I dont know how they get away with closing the desert we pay for, just to charge people to use it to view the race. I get the safety aspect... but then you need to charge people to watch? I dont know man.
Just like KOH or a Solar Farm. BLM leases out the land for "good use". It really is a system that is without a lot of reasoning. One weekend we can drive anywhere we want, or shoot guns, or camp for free, or fly drones...the next weekend we can't legally step foot on the land without paying the Lesee to enter.

I see why the Martellis charge for everything, but man they priced me out of this one. I bet the insurance BLM requires is expensive (I bet the lease of the land is cheap). Our HOA wanted us to insure my daughter's birthday party in the clubhouse. 150 bucks for 100 people to attend a 6th birthday....the risk is about 10,000xs for the CA300.

Just like KOH or a Solar Farm. BLM leases out the land for "good use". It really is a system that is without a lot of reasoning. One weekend we can drive anywhere we want, or shoot guns, or camp for free, or fly drones...the next weekend we can't legally step foot on the land without paying the Lesee to enter.

I see why the Martellis charge for everything, but man they priced me out of this one. I bet the insurance BLM requires is expensive (I bet the lease of the land is cheap). Our HOA wanted us to insure my daughter's birthday party in the clubhouse. 150 bucks for 100 people to attend a 6th birthday....the risk is about 10,000xs for the CA300.
i agree to a certain extent. Would make sense if that was the rules to all... but More is still holding races without the extra fees demanded by the CA300. They would likely have the same costs for insurance i would assume.

the difference when comparing to KOH is huge. Koh started out free and grew too large, martellis jumped straight to charging before having a solid event.
Also koh doesn’t shut down the full desert, just hammer town itself. You can still camp all you want and spectate for free if you avoid the designated spectator areas. I’ve gone several times and not paid a penny and just avoided hammer town.

the difference when comparing to KOH is huge. Koh started out free and grew too large, martellis jumped straight to charging before having a solid event.
Also koh doesn’t shut down the full desert, just hammer town itself. You can still camp all you want and spectate for free if you avoid the designated spectator areas. I’ve gone several times and not paid a penny and just avoided hammer town.
That's true on the camping, for sure. I feel like KOH wants you to pay if you go through their main gate, which I do to just wander Hammertown. But it is nice just to be able to dry camp out in BFE, and avoid the noise, dust, and cost, since most weekends, you can camp out there without charge anyway.

Charging as much as UNLTD does for an offroad race on BLM land in Barstow is a recipe for failure.....I go to the NHRA Drags at Pomona at least once a year and my tickets for a whole day of racing, including what I would consider some of the coolest access to pit areas and drivers are about 60 bucks apiece to sit at the Tree a few rows up. If you're a purist and sit at the 330' it's maybe 40 and if you're a real cheapskate, you can get GA tickets way down by the finish for 20 bucks.

The difference for me is that Dave Cole and the KOH crew are the reason why the military didn’t take all of our deser land in Landers for training back in the day. So every year I go to KOH I stay out of Hammer town, but still pay the fees to enter HT. To me it’s worth the $ to me

KOH is a different animal IMO...

They are bring in an entire city for a 2 week long event. Jumbotrons. Live footage all day. Food vendors, entire Expo of booths, A concert, Medical staff, police, Heavy equipment, etc, etc.

As you said it no one is stopping anyone from going in the desert/camping During KOH I am sure it was the same out there... they don't have the man power for that.

On the other hand... what does it cost for the permits/ fencing/ staff/ etc to make CA 300 happen? shits gotta be crazy expensive.

If this is their business they have to make money to keep going, right? If you spent all the time and energy to put on a race you'd want to get the max dollar amount possible right? $140 to camp and watch the race for a weekend is pretty steep. I could see maybe $50 - $60 for both but again I have no Idea what it costs to put on a race with permits and staff etc for me unless I'm involved with a team and pitting/racing. Personally, I'm out. Maybe the idea is to keep up white fender kids out of there ?

KOH is a different animal IMO...

They are bring in an entire city for a 2 week long event. Jumbotrons. Live footage all day. Food vendors, entire Expo of booths, A concert, Medical staff, police, Heavy equipment, etc, etc.

As you said it no one is stopping anyone from going in the desert/camping During KOH I am sure it was the same out there... they don't have the man power for that.

On the other hand... what does it cost for the permits/ fencing/ staff/ etc to make CA 300 happen? shits gotta be crazy expensive.

If this is their business they have to make money to keep going, right? If you spent all the time and energy to put on a race you'd want to get the max dollar amount possible right? $140 to camp and watch the race for a weekend is pretty steep. I could see maybe $50 - $60 for both but again I have no Idea what it costs to put on a race with permits and staff etc for me unless I'm involved with a team and pitting/racing. Personally, I'm out. Maybe the idea is to keep up white fender kids out of there ?
I have heard them compare themselves to KOH when discussing the fees to camp and spectate but like you said KOH is a different animal. KOH doesn’t even try to discourage the free canoing. Cali 300 does. I’ll bet we can go find a lot of leftover Cali 300 course markers out there too….

I have no idea what Martellis pay for Cali 300, but Dave Cole has said a few years ago that his permit were 2.5 Million and expects them to go up every year

I have heard them compare themselves to KOH when discussing the fees to camp and spectate but like you said KOH is a different animal. KOH doesn’t even try to discourage the free canoing. Cali 300 does. I’ll bet we can go find a lot of leftover Cali 300 course markers out there too….
Lets put them on blast when we find them in a couple weeks.

I have no idea what Martellis pay for Cali 300, but Dave Cole has said a few years ago that his permit were 2.5 Million and expects them to go up every year
i can probably safely say that it has to be a major undertaking and not sure i would want to be in charge of all that. lol

Back