CA 300 Oct 13th-16th

Cleandezert

Curious if anyone is going to watch the race. work the race? I was planning on maybe watching Saturday, but then through a series of events found out that I will have a booth for clean-dezert setup Thursday-Saturday. Curious who else will be out there.

Curious if anyone is going to watch the race. work the race? I was planning on maybe watching Saturday, but then through a series of events found out that I will have a booth for clean-dezert setup Thursday-Saturday. Curious who else will be out there.

I was thinking about going. We will just be finishing moving into our house, and my family is planning a camping trip in Williams, AZ, so might be going to that instead

I'm working... I'll be there from Wednesday night to Sunday morning. Not sure exactly what is required of me while i'm there... so hopefully I'll be cruising around to watch the race on Race Day.

so besides wally and i working because we are suckers... nobody wants to see TT in barstow?

so besides wally and i working because we are suckers... nobody wants to see TT in barstow?
Ill be out there on Friday working for some a-hole instead of watching the TT's boogie down main. Im hoping a Barstow Del Taco lunch is included along with my monetary compensation...

How was it ?
I love to be a negative nancy so.... It wasn't good. haha But that is coming from the work side of the event.

I'm hoping spectating was good at least. Anyone out there specatating?

I hung out with Elliot from Onyx shocks and Geoff from Giant and they were out there volunteering's. They had a blast running around and pulling people out. Had their kids with them. Probably the best way to watch the race.

After putting on events, i don't want to be negative because all the time, energy and money that goes into these things. I think its cool they are trying to do something new in CA, and bring back big racing and not just the same boring more races for 20+ years. Also it seems everyone complains that there are no big TT races in CA, but then complain when it comes here and isnt run like a MORE race... Hopefully it gets better.
On that note, i heard alot of negative comments from people, from lack of people for the vendors, to the race course being brutal. Hopefully if they take it on next year, they improve from here.

After putting on events, i don't want to be negative because all the time, energy and money that goes into these things. I think its cool they are trying to do something new in CA, and bring back big racing and not just the same boring more races for 20+ years. Also it seems everyone complains that there are no big TT races in CA, but then complain when it comes here and isnt run like a MORE race... Hopefully it gets better.
On that note, i heard alot of negative comments from people, from lack of people for the vendors, to the race course being brutal. Hopefully if they take it on next year, they improve from here.

As someone who has never been part of the racing world, what was different/new about this race?

As someone who has never been part of the racing world, what was different/new about this race?
Traditional races in ca are just about racing. So no media, no qualifying, everyone races at the same time, just a single day event.

The CA 300 was put on by a media company, so it was a week long event starting with our clean-up. they had qualifying, start finish area with vendors(even though it was slow and they charge for it) an announcer, and more of a big time feel. Will take years to get the notoriety that something like the Mint 400 will have, but i still think its neat. As a racer, it would of made me feel like the big leagues vs the older MDR, Snore, More series which doesnt provide the show.

Some like the big things, some like the smaller things. Overall its something new. If in 2-3 years its just like this year, it probably wont go far, but if they make some easy changes i see it growing and being neat.

Traditional races in ca are just about racing. So no media, no qualifying, everyone races at the same time, just a single day event.

The CA 300 was put on by a media company, so it was a week long event starting with our clean-up. they had qualifying, start finish area with vendors(even though it was slow and they charge for it) an announcer, and more of a big time feel. Will take years to get the notoriety that something like the Mint 400 will have, but i still think its neat. As a racer, it would of made me feel like the big leagues vs the older MDR, Snore, More series which doesnt provide the show.

Some like the big things, some like the smaller things. Overall its something new. If in 2-3 years its just like this year, it probably wont go far, but if they make some easy changes i see it growing and being neat.
Adam and I spoke at the show but I'll elaborate where I as a vendor had issues.

I did and do have high hopes for an event like this in Barstow. It's a prime location. It's about 2 Hours from, Las Vegas, Laughlin/Havasu, Bakersfield, LA, & San Diego. Super easy for any spectator to come out for the day or weekend to experience some high level off-road Racing.

IMOP the organizers just needed to make a few small changes that would fix the issues with going out and watching a desert race.

1. The vendor row was a row that felt like 1/2 mile long.
    1. When you are walking around a vendor area typically you are there to ask questions to the representatives about their products. In the automotive space you typically are trying to combine products to build out your vehicle. This means that a lot of spectators who are interested in our product visit multiple booths multiple times to get all of their questions fulfilled. Having it so spread out on a hot dusty day means that people get over it and just want to head back to their camp site.
  2. At an event in Barstow most people are out there camping.
    1. Even if everyone that was out there camping wound up coming to the vendor area (which most probably did not want to pay the $20 per person to do so) the vendor area would always feel empty.
      1. To fix this they needed to organize something like a RC car race or Mini bike race during the event. This would give a reason for people to come into the vendor row area.
  3. It's very expensive to put on an event like this and I understand that. But Mad Media charges everyone for everything they can.
    1. For a first year event I do not think it's very smart to charge customers to watch the start finish when they can easily watch the rest of the race in the desert for free. So if you had a family of 3 coming out. it'd cost you $60 to come in and watch the start finish and the only other perk was that you got to pay for beer and then get to speak to someone like myself... I know I'm kind of a big deal and all but still.

Adam and I spoke at the show but I'll elaborate where I as a vendor had issues.

I did and do have high hopes for an event like this in Barstow. It's a prime location. It's about 2 Hours from, Las Vegas, Laughlin/Havasu, Bakersfield, LA, & San Diego. Super easy for any spectator to come out for the day or weekend to experience some high level off-road Racing.

IMOP the organizers just needed to make a few small changes that would fix the issues with going out and watching a desert race.

1. The vendor row was a row that felt like 1/2 mile long.
    1. When you are walking around a vendor area typically you are there to ask questions to the representatives about their products. In the automotive space you typically are trying to combine products to build out your vehicle. This means that a lot of spectators who are interested in our product visit multiple booths multiple times to get all of their questions fulfilled. Having it so spread out on a hot dusty day means that people get over it and just want to head back to their camp site.
  2. At an event in Barstow most people are out there camping.
    1. Even if everyone that was out there camping wound up coming to the vendor area (which most probably did not want to pay the $20 per person to do so) the vendor area would always feel empty.
      1. To fix this they needed to organize something like a RC car race or Mini bike race during the event. This would give a reason for people to come into the vendor row area.
  3. It's very expensive to put on an event like this and I understand that. But Mad Media charges everyone for everything they can.
    1. For a first year event I do not think it's very smart to charge customers to watch the start finish when they can easily watch the rest of the race in the desert for free. So if you had a family of 3 coming out. it'd cost you $60 to come in and watch the start finish and the only other perk was that you got to pay for beer and then get to speak to someone like myself... I know I'm kind of a big deal and all but still.
I agree 100% with all that. If I was a paying vendor i would of been upset. I did hear that they were passing out wristbands on saturday to get more people in... but that area was far too big and dusty. I was just excited to be called into the big leagues. lol PS dont eat the shredded chicken quesdilla unless you want to live in the porto potties. lol

I think the vendor row was RIDICULOUSLY big for what it was. They couldve (shouldve) made it half the size that it was... it was boring AF in there. Also, WATER TRUCKS. For the love of all that is holy, run some water trucks. The place was a complete dust bowl.

Back