27.5 VS 29er

Armrunner

Hey BLGT friends. With all the awesome new bikes coming out and the wide variety of setups I have came to a point where I’m not sure where to go for my next purchase. What is everyone’s thoughts on the positives and negatives of each, 27.5 bikes and the 29er? I have always felt that the 27.5 bikes moved much better in single track with sharp turns. I currently have a 29er hardtail and it does seem quicker obviously with the more momentum of the bigger wheels but only in more of a straight line type of environment. Mullet? Best of both worlds? Keep the 29er for normal easy rides and buy a 27.5 for more technical rides?

Bikes im currently looking at are the YT Jeffsy and the Giant Trance X. So obviously I’m looking to add the rear shock back into my life.

Whats everyone’s thoughts? Experiences? Input?

I appreciate any reply’s.

-Brent

Hey BLGT friends. With all the awesome new bikes coming out and the wide variety of setups I have came to a point where I’m not sure where to go for my next purchase. What is everyone’s thoughts on the positives and negatives of each, 27.5 bikes and the 29er? I have always felt that the 27.5 bikes moved much better in single track with sharp turns. I currently have a 29er hardtail and it does seem quicker obviously with the more momentum of the bigger wheels but only in more of a straight line type of environment. Mullet? Best of both worlds? Keep the 29er for normal easy rides and buy a 27.5 for more technical rides?

Bikes im currently looking at are the YT Jeffsy and the Giant Trance X. So obviously I’m looking to add the rear shock back into my life.

-Brent

It's the standard pick-a-wheel size and be a dick about it haha

I've actually never ridden a 27.5 other than around the parking lot. But I'll chime in any way... 27.5 is going to be more nimble for sure. 29er is going to roll over things better, less pedal strikes, a Little more sluggish in the turns.

For me personally after catapulting my carcass over the bars 3 too many times on my 26er all on pedal strikes. I went 29er and never looked back. If you are gunna keep the 29er hardtail kinda nice to have same-size tires to swap out if you ever need a tire in a pinch.

@MaddChadd has a Rocky Mtn Altitude he's selling. 29er
and @the_fablab_ has a Trance he was talking about selling also.. 27.5

We need the big dogs to chime in here...

@f2taco
@Haulin&Crawlin

Any words of wisdom fellas?

-Brent
Hey Brent, first things Im curious about are your height and Inseam? I think those 2 things should factor into your choice as taller riders usually have no issues maneuvering full 29" and dont get the "butt buzz" that shorter riders can sometimes get on bigger wheels. Not a complete deal breaker as I know plenty or tall riders on 27.5 or mullet and plenty of short riders on 29...just something to consider. Having ridden mostly 29 the past few years, when I jump on full 27.5 I mostly hate it because you get bogged down more through chunk and I felt more like I was being pushed over the bars (for reference Im 6'3 and the bike I was on was a bit small so that could factor too but I def felt slower in general). Now for mullet, my new bike came that way and Ive been switching back and forth but have mostly committed to full 29 on it (some bikes can be interchanged between mullet and full 29). When I stick the 275 wheel on it, the first ride or 2 feel really fun and playful like I have more control but then after that I adapt and it just feels the same MINUS the smoother rollover through chunk. Same thing but opposite when I throw the 29 on, I feel a lil more sluggish to pop and throw the bike around but then after a couple rides it feels the same with cornering and hopping/popping BUT faster in general because of that rollover. Just my 2 cents...maybe look into a bike that swings both ways? Like Elliot said, I have a Rocky Mountain Altitude for sale and it can be switched between mullet and full 29 with a shock linkage. Good luck, gonna be a blast regardless!

Chadd

It's the standard pick-a-wheel size and be a dick about it haha

I've actually never ridden a 27.5 other than around the parking lot. But I'll chime in any way... 27.5 is going to be more nimble for sure. 29er is going to roll over things better, less pedal strikes, a Little more sluggish in the turns.

For me personally after catapulting my carcass over the bars 3 too many times on my 26er all on pedal strikes. I went 29er and never looked back. If you are gunna keep the 29er hardtail kinda nice to have same-size tires to swap out if you ever need a tire in a pinch.

@MaddChadd has a Rocky Mtn Altitude he's selling. 29er
and @the_fablab_ has a Trance he was talking about selling also.. 27.5

We need the big dogs to chime in here...

@f2taco
@Haulin&Crawlin

Any words of wisdom fellas?

So pedal strikes have been something of concern as I have had issues many years ago on my old 26" wheel machine. Very good point though, I need to keep this in mind.

Hey Brent, first things Im curious about are your height and Inseam? I think those 2 things should factor into your choice as taller riders usually have no issues maneuvering full 29" and dont get the "butt buzz" that shorter riders can sometimes get on bigger wheels. Not a complete deal breaker as I know plenty or tall riders on 27.5 or mullet and plenty of short riders on 29...just something to consider. Having ridden mostly 29 the past few years, when I jump on full 27.5 I mostly hate it because you get bogged down more through chunk and I felt more like I was being pushed over the bars (for reference Im 6'3 and the bike I was on was a bit small so that could factor too but I def felt slower in general). Now for mullet, my new bike came that way and Ive been switching back and forth but have mostly committed to full 29 on it (some bikes can be interchanged between mullet and full 29). When I stick the 275 wheel on it, the first ride or 2 feel really fun and playful like I have more control but then after that I adapt and it just feels the same MINUS the smoother rollover through chunk. Same thing but opposite when I throw the 29 on, I feel a lil more sluggish to pop and throw the bike around but then after a couple rides it feels the same with cornering and hopping/popping BUT faster in general because of that rollover. Just my 2 cents...maybe look into a bike that swings both ways? Like Elliot said, I have a Rocky Mountain Altitude for sale and it can be switched between mullet and full 29 with a shock linkage. Good luck, gonna be a blast regardless!

Chadd
So to start off, Im 6' even and a solid 225 lbs. Not sure on inseam but I do have long ass legs and arms. Racing BMX in high school I rode a XL and sometimes a XXL frame. Large frame Mtn bikes seem to be a good fit so far for most brands. One other thing I am hearing from others is that some Manufactures wont even be selling 27.5 wheeled bikes in the near future? I am assuming this is solely on sales numbers. That plays a big factor for me as well considering resale value later down the road.

What kind of travel are you guys running? This is for the trail/all mountain guys. Not so much “enduro”. I ride trails that are alittle much for my bike and it has 130mm forks. I see a lot of trail bikes with 130 front and rear? That ok on tougher single track? Or would a 150 fork do better?

What kind of travel are you guys running? This is for the trail/all mountain guys. Not so much “enduro”. I ride trails that are alittle much for my bike and it has 130mm forks. I see a lot of trail bikes with 130 front and rear? That ok on tougher single track? Or would a 150 fork do better?
My Stumpjumper Evo is 160 Front / 150 out back.

Personally, I'd rather have more travel than less as we ride an array of trails from Mellow XC to gnarly chunky. I've never wished for less travel in the gnar. But wtf do I know... The same 🤡 doing 30-40 mile rides with 2.5 assegai front and rear...it's just fitness right?

That said there are many excellent bikes with lower travel numbers that work very well. Pretty much any modern bike you get is going to be a game-changer over anything that's even 5 years old

Im with @dwphoto as far as travel goes. Ive been happy with my 2016 Fuji Auric 1.7 with 160mm of travel thus far. Im more of a buy 1 toy that does it all kinda guy so I wanted all the travel i could get and wanted to be able to ride all types of terrain. So far no complaints with the 160mm and 27.5.

Im with @dwphoto as far as travel goes. Ive been happy with my 2016 Fuji Auric 1.7 with 160mm of travel thus far. Im more of a buy 1 toy that does it all kinda guy so I wanted all the travel i could get and wanted to be able to ride all types of terrain. So far no complaints with the 160mm and 27.5.

Where you at? AZ right ?

I think id probably die, thinking about it now I havent done any real riding since Taylor Park, Colorado in like 2021 I believe lol
oh buddy im going to get fucking smokeeedddd I signed myself up for the 50 miler.
On this fucking thing.... 💀💀💀
52729618147_c60c6eee28_b.jpg

oh and @theycallmeWALLY informed me I'm in Wave 1 off the start going to be an absolute trail plug haha

LETS GOOOOOOOO

oh buddy im going to get fucking smokeeedddd I signed myself up for the 50 miler.
On this fucking thing.... 💀💀💀
52729618147_c60c6eee28_b.jpg

oh and @theycallmeWALLY informed me I'm in Wave 1 off the start going to be an absolute trail plug haha

LETS GOOOOOOOO
lmao, ill get my bike out this week and start practicing for next year. Gives me another reason to do something other than work on trucks and sxs

lmao, ill get my bike out this week and start practicing for next year. Gives me another reason to do something other than work on trucks and sxs
sounds good! we try to get up to @vcyota92 a few times a year... usually get in a ride or 3... maybe we can link up.

Anyways sorry got the thread derailment 🤡🤡🤡

@Armrunner you sort out your life yet one the 29 vs 27.5 or 130- 170 mm travel...its all such a rabbit hole.

sounds good! we try to get up to @vcyota92 a few times a year... usually get in a ride or 3... maybe we can link up.

Anyways sorry got the thread derailment 🤡🤡🤡

@Armrunner you sort out your life yet one the 29 vs 27.5 or 130- 170 mm travel...its all such a rabbit hole.
Yes, for now lol. Ended up purchasing a Giant Trance 29er. Met up with a few guys with different bikes and found that the bigger travel bikes didn’t climb like I want. So went with alittle shorter travel with out sacrificing too much. Will upgrade a few parts on it in a few weeks to get it to my liking but im pumped. Thanks for all the info and ideas thrown out there. Hopefully see you guys out on the trail some day soon. @the_fablab_ still owes me a ride up in Simi!

Yes, for now lol. Ended up purchasing a Giant Trance 29er. Met up with a few guys with different bikes and found that the bigger travel bikes didn’t climb like I want. So went with alittle shorter travel with out sacrificing too much. Will upgrade a few parts on it in a few weeks to get it to my liking but im pumped. Thanks for all the info and ideas thrown out there. Hopefully see you guys out on the trail some day soon. @the_fablab_ still owes me a ride up in Simi!
RAD! Congrats on the new ride... post up photos and specs

Back