2005 Volkswagen Touareg Build

dustysummit

I hope I am the only Volkswagen Touareg on this page. But here I am trying to build a 2005 Volkswagen Touareg into an adventure baja rig. If you don't know about this platform let me share some history about it. In 2002 Volkswagen and Porsche collaborated to develop the Cayenne and Touareg built on a shared platform. While the Cayenne was extremely capable, the Volkswagen Toaureg was even more capable with factory options such as a V10 Turbo Diesel that had 500LBS of Torque and standard 4.56 gears, low range transfer case, and locking center and rear differentials.

During this time Volkswagen started racing Dakar while developing their diesel technology (pre diesel gate) which ended up with three consecutive overall wins. It is an overengineered vehicle platform that many people think is unreliable thus prices are CHEAP while used Cayennes fetch a premium.

This is my 2005 Volkswagen Touareg 4.2L V8 with `145,000 miles I paid $3800 for in Decemeber 2022. It is sitting on a 2.5 inch lift with 17" Nomad Wheels, 33" General Grabber ATX3 tires, Eurowise Skid plate, Sherpa roof rack and that's about it. Oh, I also have Baja Designs lights wired to my sPOD SourceLT Mini6.

Next up, I am trying to convince Total Chaos to prototype Upper Control arms and run 2.5inch Fox Coilovers. I found setups where people are pulling 11" of wheel travel in the front and 12" in the rear.

Any questions?

Attachments

• NOMAD TOUAREG-00079.jpg
    NOMAD TOUAREG-00079.jpg
    608.2 KB · Views: 35
  • NOMAD TOUAREG-00094.jpg
    NOMAD TOUAREG-00094.jpg
    532.3 KB · Views: 33
I hope I am the only Volkswagen Touareg on this page. But here I am trying to build a 2005 Volkswagen Touareg into an adventure baja rig. If you don't know about this platform let me share some history about it. In 2002 Volkswagen and Porsche collaborated to develop the Cayenne and Touareg built on a shared platform. While the Cayenne was extremely capable, the Volkswagen Toaureg was even more capable with factory options such as a V10 Turbo Diesel that had 500LBS of Torque and standard 4.56 gears, low range transfer case, and locking center and rear differentials.

During this time Volkswagen started racing Dakar while developing their diesel technology (pre diesel gate) which ended up with three consecutive overall wins. It is an overengineered vehicle platform that many people think is unreliable thus prices are CHEAP while used Cayennes fetch a premium.

This is my 2005 Volkswagen Touareg 4.2L V8 with `145,000 miles I paid $3800 for in Decemeber 2022. It is sitting on a 2.5 inch lift with 17" Nomad Wheels, 33" General Grabber ATX3 tires, Eurowise Skid plate, Sherpa roof rack and that's about it. Oh, I also have Baja Designs lights wired to my sPOD SourceLT Mini6.

Next up, I am trying to convince Total Chaos to prototype Upper Control arms and run 2.5inch Fox Coilovers. I found setups where people are pulling 11" of wheel travel in the front and 12" in the rear.

Any questions?
Love the bumper with the XLs. How do you like the spot lens on the XL80s and what are your plans with that sweet Sherpa rack?
Best,
Brandon

I love odd-ball projects. We should talk, I can make some suspension parts. In the past I have made custom inverted long travel struts for Subarus. An all bolt on system with 12'' of travel. This was back in 2012 or so. Ill see if I can dig up some pics.
That would be rad, truthfully, I might need help with rear links.

Back