2003 Duramax LB7 problem

Well been driving it all day yesterday and today. It sat for arround 12 hrs between starts and started right up. Small fuel i could see on the housing around the steel hoses is gone and hasn't reappeared. I started and stopped it around 20 times so far and all is good. Driving back to Pahrump tomorrow to pickup my trailer with another 83 Bronco i'm parting out that's sitting on it.

Yeah I worked at auto parts stores for years and the OEM mfg only have to provide the exact factory installed parts for 10 years after that it's whoever they can get for cheap and put in there box, private label style. Buy AC Delco and could be same as AutoZone or O'Reilly's house brand stuff

Yeah I worked at auto parts stores for years and the OEM mfg only have to provide the exact factory installed parts for 10 years after that it's whoever they can get for cheap and put in there box, private label style. Buy AC Delco and could be same as AutoZone or O'Reilly's house brand stuff
He’s sayin even the actually OEM stuff from dealers is even junk sometimes (identical stuff the vehicle came with), not just the post production crap. It’s pretty damn bad

as extremely difficult as it is these days I try and buy whatever isn't made in china. 9x out of 10 AC Delco parts have china written all over them anymore. Ran into this last week with the clutch on my K5, oreilly part came from china so I ended up ordering a LUK from rock auto since it was at least made in mexico.

I put a LBZ filter housing on my LB7, with a spacer and a big cat filter. Replaced all the 1/2 hose with red multi use hose that is very hard to kink. Then under the bed I put a water separator on a cheap filter head and used a marine carter? fuel pump as a lift pump. Water seperators like to be on the suction side so it works best this way. Duramax truck really should have come with a factory lift pump but adding one is good for IP pump and injector life.

Last edited:
My brother just ran into this exact issue last month with 05, trailer in tow on their way to Utah. Finally I convinced him it was the fuel filter housing. Got new OE filter housing and fuel lines (which were like $350 from dealer just for the fuel hoses) and all is well now.

Back