08 Dodge Megafun

The vehicle I regret selling the most recently is my 06 Ram 3500 Mega Cab. Had 200K miles but that ain't shit on the cummins. Should've kept it and just fixed the seats and AC but I was stupid and my now ex wife sold it to a friend.
I agree... loved that truck.

I did what I told myself I would never do. I made one of those "overlandy" 1 into 4 hose manifolds for airing up and down. I will get you guys numbers when I get the compressor completed. I am waiting on a Chinesium to NIP adapter. I wired in a pressure cutoff and ditched the factory circuit breaker. My supply wire is fused. I ditched the air tank and a bunch of other plumbing this time. By math it should be faster to air up and airing down should end up with all the tires balanced to the same pressure. The old way was to put screw on deflators and pull them when tire one got to the "target" pressure but never checking the rest for actual.
20220417_160638.jpg20220417_160711.jpg20220417_160809.jpg

Last edited:
20220114_192944.jpg20220115_093250.jpg20220113_072302.jpg
Mexico in January with the Ridgeway's. 9 days and 1700 miles south of the border. Camped on 5 different beaches. 3 wide at just under 100 mph at 15 psi was fun. Only had to hook up the strap once during the trip when Chris hit out flow marsh in 2wd at close to midnight.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220111-233805_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220111-233805_Gallery.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220108_085109.jpg
    20220108_085109.jpg
    660.8 KB · Views: 4
The adapter came in so I was able to get my compressor finished. The compressor is a Shittybuilt 2781. It is rated at 5.65 cfm from the manufacturer. The adapter you need is 1/4" npt female to M12x1.25 male. I modified the compressor with a 90-120 pressure switch and deleted the push to reset breaker.
Here are the real world numbers. The tires are 37x12.5r17. Airing down using the home made 1 into 4 system took 5 min 33 sec to go from 36 to 15. Airing back up all 4 from 15 to 35 took 10min 30 sec. I didn't have the truck running for a minute of that so I think I can shave some time off. To put it in perspective a single tire aired up with my old HF coiled hose and trigger air chuck to 3 min to do the same. @4lowlance wants a remove the hose from the bag to the hose back into the bag vs me filling up all 4 tires individually comparison. If we get rained out this weekend I will try and make that happen.

Screenshot_20220419-190716_Gallery.jpg20220419_185007.jpg20220419_182057.jpg

I need to get a compressor for 4Runner... after refilling my CO2 tank last month at air gas.. $45 Bucks!

At a price point of $170 bucks that Smittybilt looks like a pretty solid little unit.

I was looking at the ARB Dual $600 !!!!.

@badlinesgoodtimes I was looking at the arb dual and also the Sherpa. The sherpa looks really interesting as it is designed to work in the pressure zones we will be filling tires up anyway. But both are so expensive I could buy 2 - 3 of these as they wear out. The ARB looses performance over time just like the rest. The last one had been in service since 2017.

Stage 5 overlanding this weeked. Lockwood, Miller, Cottonwood, and Yellowjacket are all drivable. I wouldn't take a long wheelbase fullsize down yellowjacket unless you dont care about possible body damage in one spot. I believe the official opening for Los Padres is going to be May 1st but the trails might open earlier. Call the ranger station before heading out.

Attachments

• 20220423_175348.jpg
    20220423_175348.jpg
    665.6 KB · Views: 8
Stage 5 overlanding this weeked. Lockwood, Miller, Cottonwood, and Yellowjacket are all drivable. I wouldn't take a long wheelbase fullsize down yellowjacket unless you dont care about possible body damage in one spot. I believe the official opening for Los Padres is going to be May 1st but the trails might open earlier. Call the ranger station before heading out.
How was lockwood/ miller after all that rain?

I need to do front axle u-joints. The drivers side is getting loud when in 4wd. Do I just let the driveshaft shop press them or do I buy a HF press for what it will probably end up costing in labor? I also need to do a AC compressor. That might be this weekends task.

I need to do front axle u-joints. The drivers side is getting loud when in 4wd. Do I just let the driveshaft shop press them or do I buy a HF press for what it will probably end up costing in labor? I also need to do a AC compressor. That might be this weekends task.
Where are you based out of? I think it's always worth investing in tools.

Turns out one of my lights or the bumper it is mounted to shifted back. My issue is the AC condenser having a hole rubbed in it vs the compressor. Looks like I need to get on Rock Auto as the auto parts stores are over $100 dollars higher for the part. I will just order the axle u joints at the same time. I am sure one of my local friends has a press I can use.

Have you had any issues with your fridge being quite exposed like that? My fridge is next to a door that leaks when I wade in deep water and I'm worried about it getting damaged. Unfortunately there aren't many other places to keep it
It was under a shell until this makeover but it hasn't had issues yet. It was burred under snow last New Years week and fired up no problem. It has been rained on as well but nothing heavy while it is running. I typically remove it between trips and only have it on when there is food in it now. I ran it a lot harder when I first got it.

It was under a shell until this makeover but it hasn't had issues yet. It was burred under snow last New Years week and fired up no problem. It has been rained on as well but nothing heavy while it is running. I typically remove it between trips and only have it on when there is food in it now. I ran it a lot harder when I first got it

It was under a shell until this makeover but it hasn't had issues yet. It was burred under snow last New Years week and fired up no problem. It has been rained on as well but nothing heavy while it is running. I typically remove it between trips and only have it on when there is food in it now. I ran it a lot harder when I first got it.
That's good to hear. I turn mine off if in going through anything deep, and leave it to dry before turning it on again, and clean it after every trip. It would definitely be a good idea to get some kind of bag for it, just to give it a little extra protection

Since last post we had our clubs annual Fright Night Poker Run at Hungry Valley Halloween Weekend. Which I didn't even air down for as we were working pretty much the whole time and only say limited dirt. Good news is we raised somewhere close to 20k for Friends of Oceano Dunes.
I took the twins on a epic trip to Utah with Chris Ridgway, Pj Anderson, and @4lowlance Nov 9-13. 1770 mile round trip with close to 90 miles of trail and 80 of that in low range. Only issue was I had the radiator start leaking on the second to last day. It was a slow enough leak to where I was able to get home with topping off when getting fuel. It was a Mishimoto replacement and they have a good warrantee so I got a replacement for $100 shipping. The issue was my fault as I had installed the shroud incorrectly and the rubber outer shroud was rubbing the core.

Overall the truck did amazing. I left it open/open 90% of the time as I was following Chris in his open/open "Practice Van" and it is fun to see if I could clean sections where he struggled. I locked the rear on a few sections where you couldn't afford to slip. and probably only had the front locked 5 or six times. I did drag frame, crossmembers, front and rear bumpers, and the hitch a bunch and the body at least twice that I could see.

Back